The Three Gossips

The Three Gossips

A Poem by Mr. Lopez

The three gossips gather
'Round the watering hole
To share little tid-bits
Of what they think that they know

They cackle and whisper
Not to be over heard
They sharpen their tongues
With damaging words

There is although one thing
That they don't know
That God is now watching
Their gossipers show

He doesn't appreciate
The damage they do
When speaking of people
That might even be true

But care not they chatter
In laughter some more
But all of the while
God is keeping a score

They breed bitter resentment
For each other to eat
Spreading their rumors
Of lies and deceit

The trio will part
When three becomes two
Then after you've left
They'll gossip of you





© 2016 Mr. Lopez


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ya'know what?

Often times in my poetry or other creative writing classes, my professors or my peers (those quite outspoken students) will stress on how to write in a good poetic way for the most emotional effect or impact (this is nearly omnipresent in the poetry classes). They'll talk about brevity, the implementation of particular verbs (or really any type of word), correcting passivity, et cetera, but it seems to me they often forget that they're presuming what poetry is and is not, as if epics are no longer poetry, or sticking to a form is somehow detrimental or constrictive. They presume the voice of the narrator for their poetry is somehow better than others. I am not saying they would have nothing to teach us, or that ours is somehow superior to theirs, but that to take that advice in the light of its academic environment as divine or intellectual authority would be insincere and naive; stylizing ourselves to them, becoming a voice of their tutorship and not the one in our head - not our own unique voice.

Don't get me wrong, we need influences but not blind acceptance.

Anywho, reason why I say that is, I really enjoy your style. It can be serious and playful at the same time. Those last four lines; what a perfect way to close out the poem. I got to it and chuckled a bit. Not really because of it being funny, per se, but as it being a sublime conclusion both in idea and in execution. And then I had that epiphany and pretty much used this review comment as a form of epiphanic catharsis. So, thank you for writing and sharing in more ways than one.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mr. Lopez

7 Years Ago

Wow handsomeKen , now THATS a review. I've never taken any kind of writing class but I have per used.. read more
Mr. Lopez

7 Years Ago

Many typos in my reply... Darn auto correct....
Kibbles and Quips

7 Years Ago

Haha, I'll let the typos slide (this time). And I didn't mean to deride amateur writers. I think one.. read more
I read a study that said that people actually bond better with each other when they complain and/or gossip, and I thought it's such a shame! I really dislike people like this. Recently the other women who I work with congregated in my office to gossip about someone, and I kicked them out. I almost felt like I needed to take a shower, their words were so poisonous! They did not appreciate it when I told them they were mean and I didn't want any part of it! And I'm sure they gossip about me, just like they do about each other!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mr. Lopez

7 Years Ago

Loved your review. You just proved my point. Thank you.
So true!!!! Your style and flow seems very playful and light but it delivers a very big message, Good jo!

Posted 7 Years Ago


LOVE,LOVE,LOVE THIS!!!!!! Great read and truth be told! Clever and a must read for all!! I love how you challenge the reader at the end! The rhythm and flow are also great! And it's fun to read! Saving this one!!
Tabby

Posted 7 Years Ago


Mr. Lopez

7 Years Ago

I had recently started a new job and went out on break for a smoke( ugh ,yes unfortunately I smoke) .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 13, 2016
Last Updated on November 22, 2016

Author

Mr. Lopez
Mr. Lopez

Phoenix, AZ



About
I was on the site once before a while back but I hit one of those bumps in the road that knocks you harder then the average pot hole. So I'm back and have very fond memories of this writing community... more..

Writing
Here Here

A Poem by Mr. Lopez


Know me Know me

A Poem by Mr. Lopez



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Magic Magic

A Poem by Giulia King