The Wait and the Architect

The Wait and the Architect

A Story by MsBonn
"

My first trip to the beach was spiritual, to say the least, so I thought I'd write about it!

"

THE WAIT AND THE ARCHITECT

Bonnie Davis

 

       I didn't even see the beach for the first time until 1988.  I was 21 years old.  Had seen it on television and in magazines, but never in person. Being a Kentucky girl meant I was supposed to care more about blue grass than blue water. Nevertheless, my then husband and I traveled to get to St.  Simon's Island, Georgia,  the anticipation felt like a slow death approaching because we couldn't get there fast enough  The seagulls,(with their hospitable selves) led the way, seemingly welcoming me,  as they flew overhead going somewhere, but nowhere at all.

     We arrived at a small section hidden by hills and mounds of light brown dirt.  I stepped out of the car and tilted my head back to look above me  to find  a sky decorated in the most beautiful shade of blue with what seemed to to be gargantuous cotton balls masquerading as clouds.  The fist of Mr. Sun beat down on my shoulders enough to let me know he was there, but with “Cool Breeze” being there, and Humidity’s conspicuous absence, I was rescued before I could break a good sweat. For each step I took toward the scene that awaited me, my heart seemed to beat 5 times. I don’t know exactly what I expected, but I was not prepared for what my eyes would soon behold.

     Now I can hear it. The waves splashing and splattering against the shore and the rocks surrounding.  I can smell it--the freshness of a bouquet of fresh cut flowers from momma’s garden wrapped up in a sheet of Bounty fabric softener . The Grandfather of winds gently rocked me in his arms and soothed me, giving me the feeling that any moment I would be lifted up into the air and be carried away by Gabriel himself.

     I felt it�"the grains of sand created by God’s own hand under my feet.  I stooped down and caught a handful of this matter, and watched it flow through my fingers and back to the earth.  I closed my eyes, sucked all the air I could into my lungs and in my mind’s eye I  beheld God’s hand picking us up and setting us back into our proper places, just as I had done with the sand.   I realized then that I was one with God, and something told me that this experience was about to be about more than just than a visit to a place I have always wanted to go.

     I took a few steps and then, there it was there it was...... I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. When I opened cheek, and one thought came to mind-God’s majesty is a power that cannot be denied. He and only He could put that much water there and make it stay in place.  He alone is the Architect, incomparable to any other.  I closed my eyes again and listened to the songs of the birds, and I listened to the whimpering power of the dashing waves. My God, my God! The wait was most certainly worth it!

Now every time I return to the beach, which has become my favorite place to go.  I’ll take my hopes and dreams, my challenges and championships, trials and triumphs, my yesterdays and tomorrows, and I lay them down on the shore at the  feet of God.

 

 

 

 

© 2012 MsBonn


Author's Note

MsBonn
Give me the truth! I can take it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on September 14, 2012
Last Updated on September 14, 2012