Her Memories

Her Memories

A Story by MsOdie

Crawling up the stairs she looks up only to see a blurry shadow. She thinks, am I seeing a person or is this my imagination. She has had extremely too much to drink and earlier she had thought about sleeping on the sofa as she had done the night before. She looks down to try to clear her head but when she looks up again she can still see what looks like a man standing at the top of the stairs. He seems to be holding out a hand as if to help her up. She reaches for his hand but his face is still a blur then he is gone. She slowly makes her way into the bedroom and barely on to the bed. As soon as her body hits the bed she is out.


The sun gleaming through the window wakes her and she can still feel her head spinning. She recalls the shadow of the man and looks around the room for him. Quickly she comes to her feet and calls out "hello", to no one. She makes her way down the stairs to find no one. She sees the empty bottle of wine and next to it a picture. She picks it up and tears run down her face, as she wipes her tears she feels as if someone walks by her. Though she is alone in her world there always seems to be the since of a presence.


How many days has it been since she spoke to anyone, since she went outside, since she hadn't cried? Though everyday she thought today is the day. How could she make today different from the day before? She makes her way upstairs and to the shower. In the hot shower she lets the water hit her face and then she weeps uncontrollably until she reaches down to stop  the water. She sits on the bed now and thinks, where do I go or what do I do? It does not matter she has to make her way out the door or at least to the porch. Maybe she can just check the mail. Opening the front door makes her heart beat faster and she has an overwhelming feeling. Her breath becomes louder and heavier. She makes her way down the sidewalk which suddenly feels never ending to the mailbox. Her hands tremble as she opens the mailbox and reaches for the mail.


She flips through the mail and sees her name; she falls to the ground. Her heart aches and her memories come back stronger. She looks back at the door of her home which now appears to be a million miles away. As she tries to reach the door her legs feel as if she is walking through quick sand and her knees buckle as she falls to the ground. She tries desperately to stand and reaches for the door but her memories come back once again. In a flash she sees herself in hospital and shadowy man crying. She desperately wants to see his face because the outline of his face is always so familiar. Finally she reachs the front door but she can’t seem to get it open. For a moment she thinks back and she can picture him in a black suit and he is looking down at her. Her head spins and she feels empty inside. She sits in her confusion looking into nothing trying to figure out what is real; she is lost in her memories.

© 2016 MsOdie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on June 1, 2012
Last Updated on December 28, 2016

Author

MsOdie
MsOdie

Dallas, TX



About
I do accounting work for a living but I would rather be writing, listening to music or playing scrabble. I enjoy the outdoors especially when I am bike riding or hiking. I am recently divorced but sti.. more..

Writing
Cold Floor Cold Floor

A Story by MsOdie


Feel Feel

A Poem by MsOdie