The Eternal Genetics

The Eternal Genetics

A Story by Cassiopia Summers
"

We aren't born vampires, we're chosen.

"

     We aren't born vampires, we're chosen. Even if one of our parents, or both are vampires, it is still undetermined whether we, the children, will be blood-suckers as well. We realize now that Vampirism is genetic. In order to become a vampire, you must have the genetic code within your DNA, whether or not you live through the change is why we say you're "chosen". A human strand of DNA has four bases. Adenine forms a base pair with Thymine, while Guanine forms a base pair with Cytosine. If you have vampire genetics, you only have three bases. Instead of forming two pairs, the bases Thymine, Guanine, and Cytosine form a tri-pair.

    

     Now you may be wondering why I say we aren't born vampires when clearly our genetics say differently. Here's the catch, if you are born from a parent or parents that are vampires, you are born human. It isn't until puberty that you find out if you are a "chosen" one or not. During puberty your hormones kick in and if you are "chosen" to become a vampire the hormones will trigger what we call, the week of ascension or sleep ascension. During sleep ascension, everything inside your body shuts down, with the exception of your brain. Within this deep sleep, you will experience seven dreams, one each day. Each day they will become worse in their enitirety, until the seventh day when it will be decided if you will complete the change. On this seventh day, you will be put to the ultimate tests within your mind. If you are going to complete the change, you will simply wake up at the end of the seventh day, and if you won't complete the change, you will die in the seventh dream and simply not wake up. This is why we say we aren't born vampires, we're chosen. We are not given the choice. 

© 2010 Cassiopia Summers


Author's Note

Cassiopia Summers
Tell me what you think, if you will. Whether you disliked it or if you liked it, just give me a reason as to why your opinion is so. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

With the topic of Twilight being so debated, I actually find it refreshing to see someone attempting a new line of thought, in spite of it. I actually really like this idea, and I think it has a lot of potential.

At the moment this *story* rings more like a well-written brainstorm, or perhaps even a short prologue to a novel. In the last line, I think it might be more powerful if you simplified it to "We are not born vampires; we are chosen. But the choice is not ours to make."

Just a suggestion though. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting. My biggest piece of advice to you would be DO NOT go the way of Twilight. Many reasons for that, but the biggest being do something original. I do think the vampire genre needs to be given a rest-purely because everything will be compared to Twilight. Other advice would be to avoid teen cliches. That is boring and old. Keep it fresh and alive, different and new. There is so much teen vampire stories around, it would be hard to stand out and not get tarred like the rest.

Technically, it's pretty flawless. A little bit stale because it is narration and not actual characters talking (I'm big on dialogue), but there you go. Obviously, once it gets going, it would flow a bit better. Although I'm not into vampire fiction (aside from Dracula and Rice's Vampire Chronicles) I'd like to see where you go with this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think this is a great start and I would love to see more from this. Also may I say I love the hair. Sexy sexy sexy!!!!

with love,

Jaidyn

Posted 13 Years Ago


Dude... dude... DUDE! i friggin love that idea. you just warped my mind completely on vampires. this is going in my library and getting shared with friends.
ever watch buffy? well, i did and i also played her video game but the point i'm making is that this reminds me of one of the levels in the game. buffy had to go through a dream state where she had to defeat herself as well as mystical demons from her past. it was crazy, and this kind of reminds me of that. love the reminder, a + totally wanna continue reading your story!

may i ask something in return?
i'm writing a vampire story as well, and i think you'd enjoy it. check it out and if you like it- awesome!
- and don't be shy to share it to friends who you think would like it ;)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like it because it adds a new twist to vampires, and well it is fictional it is relatable to life because everyone is born into certain things that they cannot change.

I don't like it because I don't know about the character who is telling us this. Why are we being told? Is it the audience she/he is talking to or simply another character?
Where is she?

If this is meant only to be a summary of an idea you later want to right on, great!! If it's a story work a little more on telling us who is talking why they are saying what they are saying and where they are.

I'd love to read a follow up to this though!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is good - very good. A very complex idea so well explained filled with frightfull images. Great work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this, a great introduction and a different way to become a vampire.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this! The idea of a mental ordeal more than intrigues me! I really hope to see more! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like this. Ever since Twilight (sorry twi-hards) I've lost my desire more or less to connect with vampire books. Although there are a few I am in absolute love with. Anywho I like the creativity in it like the tri-pair and not becoming a vampire until after the 7 dreams. When I read that they were chosen, a series that I love popped into my head, it's called House of Night series. But when I read that I got a little excited because I thought about the book but I didn't want to read something with the same exact ideas, but when you mentioned the 7 dreams I decided this was a new and good idea. So keep adding to it please! It sounds good and may cause my opinion on vampire based books to be better :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree with the Rock and Roll Cowoy its a great theory.
Very creative and unusual.


Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

468 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 13, 2010
Last Updated on November 13, 2010

Author

Cassiopia Summers
Cassiopia Summers

Tucson, AZ



About
Lets get to know each other. :) To start, I think music reveals to us the person within, so here are some of my favorite songs because of their lyrics. Sixx A.M. - Skin Paramore - The Only Ex.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..