Rebecca's Sunset

Rebecca's Sunset

A Poem by Erudite
"

Prose, description of a scene

"
  At the edge of a rocky peninsula stands an old lighthouse, doing its duty as a bastion for the many sailboats which come into port. Vines, which cling to round white walls, are joined by lightning-shaped cracks climbing up the lighthouse's exterior.
   Beneath the metal balcony a lady sits, watching the setting sun while perched on a jutting grey rock, and her long charcoal hair flows with the breeze. Her teal wool jacket and black sweatpants, damp from the mist and splashing waves, are doing little to negate the cold. She's spent the past couple months wondering why her ex-boyfriend Alex took her for granted. Heck, why does everyone take her for granted?
   Having been sitting in the cold for a half hour, she realizes the ocean isn't handing out answers this evening. So, she gets up and starts navigating her way back to the shore from the lighthouse, stepping from rock to rock as she goes.
     "Is there something wrong with me?" She thinks to herself. "Kristal and Monica are always doing things without me, Alex cheated on me, and Dad's always so proud of Josh... But never me."
    Josh, her brother, was the star receiver on his high school football team. This impressed her father more than any of her paintings, of which there are dozens shelved away back home.
    Once she returns to the moonlit beach, she starts heading towards a bonfire all her friends are gathered around. Maybe a beer and fun conversation will take her mind off her recent betrayals.

© 2018 Erudite


Author's Note

Erudite
Please rate and review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great image, nice detail, interesting tale. Good job done.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Added on December 1, 2018
Last Updated on December 2, 2018
Tags: Poems, writing, vagueness

Author

Erudite
Erudite

Riverside, CA



About
Greetings, reader. Please do enjoy this music I've prepared for you, and don't be too bashful to take a peek at some of my writings. My poem titled "Ah, To Float in My Boat" is one of my personal .. more..

Writing