Eternal Love

Eternal Love

A Story by Mwash

Tears streamed freely down her face, falling on his hand, clasped in hers. Her eyes were red with pain, her haggard look a testament to many sleepless nights. She looked down at his face, he was asleep. She knew sleep was an escape for him, an escape from the pain that simply refused to grant him a respite. She was torn, she wished she could take away his pain; all she seemed to do was cry, an endless stream of tears. She was happy, they were happy until this monster, cancer struck. He looked so peaceful, lying there, she found herself wondering if he was dreaming, what was he dreaming about? She only wished that there was no pain in his dreams that he found peace in his dreams.

**************

They were in his room, in their early twenties, their minds and hearts filled with the dreams and hope of youth. His room was a mess, like any young man’s was wont to be, clothes strewn all over the place, no apparent sense of order. One would be forgiven to think the room had been a casualty of an earthquake. She always offered to put it in order for him but he always declined, he liked it that way. She loved that about him, his rugged charm, that rustic look. She just liked everything about him. He was seated against the headboard, music blaring from the speakers, he liked all kinds of music, she had no idea what was playing, and she did not care. Her head was rested on his lap, and he was looking at her with those hazel brown eyes that seemed to see right into her soul, he smiled. “I love you Dan,” she says, a dreamy, faraway look in her eyes. “I love you too Jane,” he replies. He looked so solemn right then, she couldn’t help laughing. Soon they were laughing uncontrollably lost in the mirth of youth.

Jane had been the staunchest critic of love. To her it was a silly emotion that made people stupid. A waste of time, to her the most important thing was her degree, she was building a career for herself, she had no time for youthful infatuations. She was on her way to the library, texting on her phone, when she bumped into him. Her books were thrown all over the path, she turned to look and their eyes met. She froze; there was something about his eyes. She seemed to freeze for an eternity before he offered an apology. “I’m so sorry I wasn’t looking where I was going,” already he was bending to pick up her books. “Don’t apologise, it’s entirely my fault,” she had finally found her voice although it sounded distant to her. “Here,” he said offering her books back, “I usually don’t go around bumping into beautiful ladies please let me make it up to you.” He added, the compliment making her blush furiously. She just looked at him, her voice completely failing her. “How about some coffee tonight?” she could only nod in agreement, he handed her a slip of paper, “Here’s my number, text me and I’ll come pick you up.” She just slipped the number into her pocket and turned away.

She just could not understand what had happened to her, she was usually very composed in front of guys and was always ready with a repartee for any of their corny lines. She admonished herself for letting him get her so tongue tied; she slipped her hand into her pocket, feeling the slip of paper. Normally she did not go out with strangers, but she convinced herself this was only to redeem her image. He was a total gentleman during that coffee date and the many more that followed. His rugged looks belied a quiet intelligence and a confidence that inexorably attracted her even more to him, and the way he looked at her, she knew the attraction was mutual. Slowly they had fallen deeply in love and love’s biggest sceptic had been turned into a believer.

Their love seemed to blossom overnight and five years after that first coffee date they were getting married. She remembered the vows they made, in front of hundreds of family and friends. It was an outdoor ceremony, right by the beach. The preacher’s voice punctuated by the breaking of the waves against the beach, she remembered that humid April morning, the cool ocean breeze gently caressing her face, “I Jane Baxter  take you Dan Williams to be my husband, I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love and honour you, all the days of my life.” Never had she meant what she said like she did then, she cried when he said his vows. Spending an eternity together felt like the best thing that ever happened to her as long as he would be by her side.

Their love seemed to defy time and nature, growing stronger with each passing moment. They surprised everyone, even their children; the people who knew them would always remark they had never seen a love like that. Even though time made its mark on their bodies, their love remained untouched. They watched as their children grew up and went away to live their own lives, that was when disaster struck. Dan was diagnosed with cancer and doctors gave him three months to live, Jane was devastated. All the years she had spent with him she never thought that she could lose him. She cried every night asking God, not to take him away from her.

She let go of his hand, now wet with her tears and left the house. They had moved to a beach house soon after their children left, wanting to enjoy their time together in the place they had solemnized their vows. She watched as the waves washed against the beach, and she wished the waves would wash her pain away. She looked at the palm trees, swaying gently in the wind, the humid air filled with the smell of the salty sea water and coconuts. They used to swim a lot when they had first moved here, but that seemed like an eternity ago. She lay on the sand and watched as rain clouds gathered, hanging low, grey and menacing as if they mirrored her moods. The tepid raindrops felt good against her skin, mingling with her tears before flowing to the ground, to be swallowed up by the sand. Immediately she knew something was wrong, she ran to the house like a woman possessed, praying that she was wrong.

When she got there he was seated, resting against the headboard, he did not seem to be in any pain, he smiled at her when she walked in. A rivulet of tears ran down her face, as she went and laid her head gently on his lap, he caressed her face gently finally he spoke, “I love you Jane, I always will.” She smiled despite her tears, unable to say anything, she stayed with him, his hand clasped in hers, until she could no longer hear his breathing, until his hand turned cold and clammy, he was gone the love of her life was no more.

Her two children stood on either side of her, as the coffin was lowered to the grave. Her tears had finally run out. He had promised to be with her forever but now he was gone. She barely heard the preacher’s sermon, she refused to say anything, how could she? How could she put the love they shared into words? Words to her seemed inadequate and her family and friends seemed to understand and they let her be. She listened quietly to the endless platitudes from family and friends. At the end she laid a single red rose on the grave, her favourite flower and she whispered the words to him “please wait for me love.” Then she walked away.

**************

She was standing by the beach, and then she saw him, walking towards her. He came up to her, “I have been waiting for you Jane,” he says, his hazel brown eyes, seemed to look right into her soul. “Am I dead?” she asks, his hand finds hers and he lifts it up to his lips and kisses it, “Love, our eternity together has just begun.” In that moment all her questions lifted and nothing else mattered. He smiles and she blushes furiously, “come, let’s go,” he encourages her gently tugging at her arm. They walk together, bare feet on the sand. The cool ocean breeze caressing their faces, the sound of the waves breaking against the beach fills their ears. They feel the sand beneath their feet, and the love in their hearts, and they walk together, hand in hand towards the beautiful sunset.

© 2014 Mwash


Author's Note

Mwash
Your comments are valued and appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on May 7, 2014
Last Updated on May 7, 2014

Author

Mwash
Mwash

Nairobi, Kenya



About
I'm a person of many faces; influenced greatly by my disposition more..

Writing
The Tune The Tune

A Story by Mwash


The Tune The Tune

A Poem by Mwash