Skipping Rocks - Rough Draft

Skipping Rocks - Rough Draft

A Story by Mysty Rayn

I came home from work one day feeling numb all over.  Life had gotten the best of me and I was sure I couldn’t take another day.  I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts of defeat.  I started out for a walk.  The way I usually go is begins uphill and then evens out at the top for a few blocks before heading downhill.  When I reached the top of the hill I was out of breath.  Smoking had taken its toll on my lungs. I ready did plan on quitting one day. 

            At the top of the hill next to the school was a patch of forest.  I had never been back there before.  Today was different, something had caught my eye.  A dirt path that I had never noticed before was visible from where I stood.  Since I wasn’t quite myself I took a chance to explore.  I began towards the path.  The trees were waving in the warm breeze, birds were singing, butterflies were all around. 

            The path felt inviting as I began my exploration.  Winding through the trees I was feeling so relaxed and comfortable.  I started humming to the tune of the birds, watching nature at its best.  Before I even realized it I had come to a small clearing where a crystal clear pond sparkled.  I’m not sure how long I stared before being startled by ripples in the pond.  It was a child.

            The young girl sat quietly on a log skipping rocks in the pond.  She seemed not to notice me.  The sun was starting to go dawn and I was concerned that she was out there alone.  Where were her parents?  She looked up at me and smiled. 

            “Hello”, I said, “Are you here alone?”

            “Yes”

            She did not seem afraid of me or even concerned that she was alone.  I sat down next to her.  She looked so familiar to me, but I just couldn’t place her.

            “Do I know you?” I asked.

            “I am you as a child.”  The young girl replied as here eyes looked through me.

              I’m not sure how long I sat there.  This afternoon was just getting worse, but I knew she was right.  That’s how I knew her.  She was me.  Me as a little girl.  The only thing I could think was that I must warn her, but before I could, she began to speak.

            “I’m a dreamer”, she declared, “a free spirit, a…”

            “I know”, I interrupted, “but life will take your dreams, crush your spirit.  People are going to hurt you physically and mentally.  They are going to take from you all that you have to offer till you have nothing left.”  I began to cry.

            The little girl, with a smile on her face, continued, “I have a heart of gold, I am special, I love with all that I am, I believe in everyone and trust everything.”

            “You can’t”, I cried, “No one can be trusted, life will eat you alive….. look at me…”  I was sobbing too hard to continue.

            The young girl took my hand.  She calmly spoke.

            “You are still all of these things.  Life did not break you.  You let life break you.  Look deep within your soul and you will still find me.”

            With that she was gone.  I found myself wondering back down the path.  I took a different way home.  I thought about everything the young girl had said.  She was right.  Tomorrow would be a better day.  All of my tomorrows would be better.

 

© 2008 Mysty Rayn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What an amazingly wise story you have dreamed up. This is beautifully told and I love that wise child. I have only one suggestion to make. Add a little more white space by placing an empty line between each of the paragraphs. It will make this easier to read on the screen and will probably get more readers that way. This is a story that needs to be shared. Excellent work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What an amazingly wise story you have dreamed up. This is beautifully told and I love that wise child. I have only one suggestion to make. Add a little more white space by placing an empty line between each of the paragraphs. It will make this easier to read on the screen and will probably get more readers that way. This is a story that needs to be shared. Excellent work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Look deep within your soul and you will still find me."

Deeply profound. Nicely done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


loved it

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 4, 2008
Last Updated on October 10, 2008

Author

Mysty Rayn
Mysty Rayn

About
more..

Writing
Pretend Pretend

A Poem by Mysty Rayn


Nothing Nothing

A Poem by Mysty Rayn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Northern Lights Northern Lights

A Poem by Paza


PUZZLED PUZZLED

A Poem by Windy