Leap

Leap

A Story by N.LEE WYNN
"

A short I wrote for my creating writing class.

"
He stares down at his toes as they inch toward the edge of the cliff without fear or sadness in his heart. The sight of his dirty feet fades and all that is seen are the blue tides crashing against the stone wall hundreds of feet below. With a deep breath to fill his lungs, the man’s eyes close for only the time it takes to lift his head, and is welcomed by the twilight of the setting sun over the ocean’s horizon. This was his moment. That time when all dreamers must let go, and give themselves to their purpose.
“Do not leap.”
Her warm tone echoing, the woman stands not five feet at his side, facing him as he watches the sun slowly fall. Her arms resting at her side, the woman’s white sundress and dark strands of hair gently flow with the autumn breeze that tugs the vibrant leaves from their branches along the path behind.
“But I have nothing to fear. It is my destiny to fly.” the man responds with a confidence that can only be found from an inner peace.
“It was your destiny to reach the edge and, if chosen to do so, to take the leap.” She replies, discouraging him as gently as she knows how.
“Then I will take my leap, and to fly with become my fate.” eyes brightening to the notion of being one with the sky.
“Your only fate lies at the bottom of the whirlpool.”
“And how can you be certain of this?” he asks.
“Because I have seen your fate--this spot and exact moment. It was my destiny to give you another chance.” she answers, waiting for any reaction other than his blissful stare. The woman continues, “Do not leap.”
“If what you say it true, then it is you who is fate.” replying as he begins to grin.
“I cannot help you fly.”
His grin widening into a unflappable smile, “You all ready have.” 
Leaves flurry and brush past them as the sun begins meeting the end of the horizon. 
The man continues, “If my destiny is this edge, and you are the one who holds all power over fate, then it is I and my choice to leap that represents chance. Fate is only applied after chance’s many possibilities.”
“I cannot alter your fate a 2nd time.” she replies with whatever pleading she may have left.
“You won’t have to.”
The vast ocean envelops the sun leaving hues of bright pink and orange to fill the sky.
“Not long after my feet leave the earth, my fate will be chosen. Whether I find myself soaring into the dusk just in reach of the moon, or plunging into an abyss I cannot possibly survive, will make no difference. It would only be my purpose to take that the leap. That is the nature of chance. What happens next is beyond me.”
His fixed stare breaks from the sky, and the man turns his attention to the woman. Her face is lit by a warmhearted smile that he returns in kind before taking his leap off the edge.

© 2013 N.LEE WYNN


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on November 12, 2013
Last Updated on November 12, 2013
Tags: Chance, Fate, Universe, Leap, Faith, Destiny

Author

N.LEE WYNN
N.LEE WYNN

Writing
13 13

A Story by N.LEE WYNN