Another head

Another head

A Story by Nael Adwan
"

Short story

"

I groped for my head, it was there.
I rubbed my eye, yet my hand came across a tender mass.
My head was twisted like an old pear; so heavy it could not bear a twitch or a shack.
A headache has feasted upon its back and a sinister frigidness casted creepy shadows unto its fore.
A snore hurled nigh me!
I thought I was dreaming and the sound was a mere illusion, but a foetid mouth breath harassed my nose, and soon after the snore hurled much closer.

I turned my eye aside and my bosom was alarmed by the scene of a head right next to me! It was “swaying” over my shoulder, dangling and glued flop to my head with shut eyes like a baby infested with fever.

I could not believe my eyes.
A new neck, mouth, teeth, ears; I have grown a new head!
I trembled out of my bed, thus awaking my new head.

- ‘Good morning’ his lips uttered with a voice rather similar to mine and right then I perfectly realized I am not dreaming.
- ‘May I have a glass of water, please?’ the head asked.
- How did you steal my body? By the name of merciful lord, how are you?’ I said floundering in a state of disbelief regardless of the shocking reality before me.
- Poppycock! This body has become our mutual property now, mutual fate, mutual survival and death, and in a capsule, we are one.

I didn’t go for work.
I mantled myself with silence all day, filled with terror while mulling over my other head that grew out of the blue. It’s a conspiracy against my body, to ruin and take over everything I ever earned and built.

- ‘May I move my hand?’ I asked
- ‘You mean our hand’ it laughed its brains out ignoring my wrath.

The phone rang and naturally I reached my hand to pick it up when abruptly its teeth plunged in my waist.
- Beware! You have trespassed on my territory. North is yours, south is mine. West is yours, east is mine, don’t you wit what’s happening yet?

Subsequently, the other head went on detailing this new “proportion” issue, it stated it has no feelings or sensations, and when I politely demanded an explanation, it thrashed me with a stark gaze, and shouted:
- Are you dim-witted? Left is yours and right is mine, the heart is yours, enjoy it. I am heartless, no heart for the right.

Alone shall I weep and suffer the harsh agony of loneliness while my partner basks in peaceful sleep, careless and free of any worries, happy and satisfied with this allotment game
I attempted to persuade it to find a solution of this partnership, but it refused bluntly claiming that it is completely comfortable.
I begged it slavish for no avail, it was stone-cold!
Then I threatened to crash its head at the first opportunity, but it laughed until it could not breathe.
- Didn’t I just tell you you’re so dim-witted? If I were doomed, it will only be a matter of seconds before you join me, it’s a mutual suicide!

Above its head a mosquito began to hover, its sound broke the silence. I needed every bit of tranquility to maintain my balance and sanity, but the mosquito lit above my head, then flew again to land upon some medicine pills beside me.
- ‘No, you are not thinking of that!’ The head said and I could sense its shiver and wordless fright running through our veins.

I didn’t spare a second, grabbed the pills and swallowed them all at once.
Heavy darkness crept slowly unto my eyes disregarding my partner’s resistance, and a sweet numb casted its spell unto my right hand which submitted and slowly wilted like a leaf before autumnal wind.
I was overwhelmed with ecstasy and an intense sensation of lightness.
My partner’s voice was gorged into silence.
And the voice of the mosquito remained strolling above two lifeless heads.

© 2015 Nael Adwan


Author's Note

Nael Adwan
It will be lovely to hear from you

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on November 29, 2015
Last Updated on November 29, 2015
Tags: Nael

Author

Nael Adwan
Nael Adwan

Amman, Jordan



About
Writer from Jordan more..

Writing
The sand The sand

A Story by Nael Adwan