Never Meant To Be Broken...

Never Meant To Be Broken...

A Poem by Nami FallingDewdrops

.. and
I heard it many times
people telling that
“Promises are made
to be broken and
Lies are meant to be
kept”
But I do not think I
can agree with it ,
Promises are like
precious pearls
That needs to be
kept and taken care
of.
Like that wishpering touch
of breeze keeps awake the soul
The quality of pledge
is genuine and true
and
The value of a swear
is of high quality
For me , once
promises are made
They cannot break
at anytime .
I have made
many assures in my
life
I kept all my
promises for my own
comfort
without breaking
any in my life.

© 2014 Nami FallingDewdrops


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like your poem. The idea is clear. One error is in the 12th line: "That needs to be". Here, since you are mentioning many pearls, it should sound like this: "Promises are like/precious pearls/That need to be". A second possible error is in the 15th line: "Like that wishpering touch." Here, I get the impression that you meant "whispering touch," especially since you mention the wind in the next line. I hope these pointers for revision are helpful. Of course, it is possible that these "errors" are in fact purposeful. An example is the wishpering touch, implying something about wishes.

There are multiple ways of reading and understanding this poem. At first, I got the impression that when the speaker says, "I heard it many times/people telling that/“Promises are made/to be broken/and/Lies are meant to be/kept"" (lines 2-7), that the speaker is saying that people can keep lies but can't keep promises. But, this is somewhat unlikely because the speaker takes it personally, saying, "But I do not think I/can agree with it" (lines 8-9).

In fact, a better explanation is that the speaker thinks that he or she knows that there are people who think that it is okay to break promises. In this respect, the people that the speaker refers to do not value promises and perhaps think that it is okay to lie sometimes, such as in oath. The poem, then, is a reverence of promises on a deeply personal level. It is clear from the extreme diction, such as "precious" (line 11), "quality... is genuine and true" (lines 17-18), "cannot" (line 24), "anytime" (line 25), and "all" (line 29), that for the speaker, promises are sacred.

If we wanted to extend thought on this subject, we might consider the reasons that a person may not consider promises as highly valuable and we may inquire into the challenges in keeping promises.

Firstly, what is a promise? To different people, different definitions may appear. However, in general, when we think of a person making a promise, we think of a person telling another person that they will do something no matter what. The problem here is that humans are not gods. They cannot control the Universe and so to make an absolute statement of action for the future is actually somewhat arrogant. Rather, a person can make a firm attempt to accomplish some goal, but must also be humble enough to recognize that there is no such thing as an absolute guarantee.

Keeping this in mind, if a person truly values a promise, then one is tempted to think that making such promises at all is akin to devaluing promises. It is almost always possible that a person will be unable to fulfill the requirements of a promises. Sure, a person may successfully fulfill a promise some of the time. But, it is likely that if a person makes many promises, there will be a greater likelihood that they will be unable to fulfill them. Consequently, one must be careful of the promises one makes.

Of course, there is much more beneath the surface than the above thoughts but these ideas are part of a much lengthier philosophical discussion. It is precisely the thought-provoking quality of this personal poem that makes it so excellent.


Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 4, 2014
Last Updated on January 4, 2014
Tags: promise, value

Author

Nami FallingDewdrops
Nami FallingDewdrops

India



About
I really enjoy watching Animes.. Reading and Writing novels and poems too .... more..

Writing