Relaxing Eyes

Relaxing Eyes

A Poem by Nathan Thompson
"

Dentist, is there any two words that make people shudder more? This is about a girl at the dentist who stands next to the dentist as he does his work, heres to you.

"

You help me. I lay back, my head tilted to far for comfort. A blinding, light hits my eyes. Then a voice asks me to open my mouth.

Things go into my mouth, metal things. Mirrors, picks, other things designed to cut and pull. I wonder if the pain that forced me to come here is worth the discomfort and pain that I suffer now.

Then I see them, warm and friendly, I see their delicate brown, the flecks on your eyelashes. They comfort my terror, ease my pain and focus my thoughts. As rubber gloved fingers work in my mouth your eyes give me deep comfort and help me relax.

I count your eyelashes. Wondering how such things of beauty could be created by nature. How deep are those eyes? What thoughts are conjured behind them? And who is the person, so blessed, to have eyes like that?

Their is still pain, but with my attention on your eyes, it feels distant. I am only dimly aware of my hands gripping the sides of the chair. Thank you for the relief you give without even meaning too.

Hmm, when do I next go to the dentist?


 

© 2008 Nathan Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is something I believe we have all felt...going to the dentist.
if all dentist's have eyes to comfort though:). I really enjoyed the
vivid way you described the eyes. The stanza about wondering
what thoughts were going around in their mind...that is a powerful
line. AD

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 10, 2008
Last Updated on August 7, 2008

Author

Nathan Thompson
Nathan Thompson

Manchester, United Kingdom



About
Well, hi there all...erm...I'm Nathan, I'm 26 and I live in Manchester, England (for the people who consider England too small a country to know where it is, it's that weird shaped one just above Fra.. more..

Writing