The Man in Black

The Man in Black

A Poem by Nathan Thompson

    I sense his presence, all around me. I hear his steps with the ticking of the clock. I hear his breath in the blowing of the wind. In my dreams I see him, just too far to see with my bare eyes and always outside of my direct vision.

    I can sense him coming ever closer to me and although I never see him I know that his visage is horrific to behold. He stands over me, his face is the face of a skull, his robe is of the deepest black, and the blade in his hand looks more deadly then the edge of any rapier, or cleaver. For it is a scythe, with a blade that looks both dull with use and age but could probably slice a mountain in two.

    However despite the monstrosity of his appearance, I do not fear him. For I know he means me no harm, though when the time comes, I know he shall take me. He shall walk with me across a desert that is aflame with the heat of the hottest of suns, but burned I shall not be. The wind with be stronger then the most fearsome of hurricanes. But the sand shall not harm me, and though I will walk for a time that will seem to stretch to eternity, I shall need no drink, nor rest, nor food. For they will be the needs of a body, and my body shall not be necessary on this journey, for it shall have already finished its own journey called life, for with life’s journeys end death’s journey begins. How long this journey shall take, I know not. But I shall have his skeletal company on the long journey. How long it will be until my journey begins, again, I know not. But when it comes I shall stand up, shake the Reaper by the hand and walk with him, straight backed and without fear.

    Though, please let it not be for a while.

© 2008 Nathan Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow amazing I really enjoyed this. I love how you wrote this it seemed to fit well. However despite the monstrosity of his appearance, I do not fear him. This has to be my favorite line through out the whole thing

Posted 15 Years Ago


I lost my review!!!!

It was a good one, too. I'll try to find my way back and re-create it.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2008
Last Updated on August 7, 2008

Author

Nathan Thompson
Nathan Thompson

Manchester, United Kingdom



About
Well, hi there all...erm...I'm Nathan, I'm 26 and I live in Manchester, England (for the people who consider England too small a country to know where it is, it's that weird shaped one just above Fra.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sorry. Sorry.

A Poem by natalie eaves