Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
What? I am Mother Nature?

What? I am Mother Nature?

A Story by Nathalie Riel
"

I wake up one morning and find out that strange things are happening to me, and what I had in store for me was a lot more than I had bargained for.

"

My morning started like every other morning, but it was not to be so. I was in for the surprise of my life.

The alarm blaring from my cell phone woke me up from a very deep sleep. I groggily tried to slide my finger on the screen to shut it up, but missed the first time. The second time, I also missed, but the third time was a charm. Ugh! I have to get up. I hate mornings, because my brain is still in my bed dreaming of a better life most of the time.

I flipped the covers off my naked body, and shuffled my feet until I reached the bathroom. I did my every morning business, and then pulled a nightgown over my head to cover myself. Brrr, it sure is cold in the morning. I slid my feet into my slippers and went down the stairs slowly, while holding onto the railing. I had fallen last year from almost the top, and my hip still hurt when it rained. I did not want that to happen again, ever. I needed coffee badly.

When I entered the kitchen, my son was already busy making his breakfast. I went directly to the kettle. I poured water in it, and then clicked the button to on. I remembered to check and see if it was plugged in, first.

I started preparing the fixings for my son’s lunch for school, when I heard a strange voice. I did not pay any attention at first, thinking to myself that I was still asleep a bit.

The voice came again. It said, “I need to be fed!” “Please stroke me!” “Hey! Where are you going?” I wondered, what was going on here, because the voice is female, and I am the only female in the house.

I shook my head, thinking I am going crazy here. I have to talk to my doctor about the new medication he put me on. I am hearing voices that are not mine. Then all of a sudden, another voice said, “I am hungry! Give me a bug now!” Huh? What the hell, bugs? Now I am sure I am going nuts.

I picked up the phone to dial my doctor, when the cat rubbed up against my leg and looked up at me, and said, “I really like you, but when are you going to feed me?” I jumped back and started screaming. I could not believe what I heard. Grisette, the cat did not just speak to me. No, no, no…but deep down inside I rather knew it was true. Then I heard again another voice saying, “Bugs! I want a bug now!” I turned around and looked at our pet frog, Kermit. Not believing what I heard.

I bent over at the waist to look more closely at the frog through the fish bowl glass, with the phone still in my hand. Kermit just stared back at me, I clearly lost it, or so I thought.

What the heck is going on here? Last night everything seemed normal, when I went to bed, and now this morning strange ruled the day.  I wondered, could it be the book I read yesterday? Someone had given me a book yesterday to sell in my used boutique that I have at home. I read only a few passages in it. The book was very old, and in old english. When going through it yesterday I thought I could get a small fortune for it. Now I was not so sure anymore. Maybe the book had some weird kind of magic. I guess I watched a little too much Supernatural.

Then the weirdest thing started happening, I looked at the crickets and they too seemed to talk to me! They said, “Please release us! We do not want to be eaten!” Kermit responded, “Hey shut up, you are food for me!” I tentatively asked Kermit, “Can you understand me?” He replied, “Of course I can, I always did, you just learned you can understand us as well?” “Uh, yes, I am not supposed to understand you.” “Humans always could but the mystic shroud of secrecy was deployed after your expulsion from the great garden.” I asked, “Do you mean the garden of eden?” He replied, “ Of course, what other garden is there?” I asked, “How do you know all of this?” He said, “We are born with this knowledge, we are one with nature, as of you humans you are only walking among it. All you humans do is think of ways to destroy and pillage nature’s wonders. Why do you think we do not want any humans to understand us?”

Grisette decided to talk to me also, “I am so glad you found the secret book. The book you were destined to read. Now you can finally understand me and all the others as well.” I asked, “What others?” She replied, “Well all creatures of the earth, and not just us animals but all of nature, all you have to do is to listen.” I asked, “What do you mean by all that?” “You do not know that you are the great descendant, the one to unite us all.” “No, I have no idea what you mean.” She answered, “You are The One, The Only!” “Huh?” “I know you are not stupid, but must I spell it out?” I answered, “Yes, I have no idea what the heck is going on here, I am totally freaking out!” She said, “You are Mother Nature herself!” “What? No way, I can not be Mother Nature, that is only a story.” She answered, “Of course it is a story, but it is from a very old truth.”

I was floored by what I had just learned. Could all of this be true? I am now Mother Nature? I looked closely at the living room plants, and they were humming in unison. I pinched myself, thinking I am still asleep and dreaming, ooww! That really hurt, I am not dreaming. My son came back in the kitchen, and asked me, “Mom who are you talking to?” I answered, “Oh, no one, just thinking out loud.” I had no idea what to tell him, because I had no idea what was going on myself.


© 2014 Nathalie Riel


Author's Note

Nathalie Riel
First Draft, I would appreciate feedback. Thanks in advance.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on July 19, 2014
Last Updated on July 19, 2014
Tags: #Fantasy, #Superpowers, #Mother Nature, #Talkings Animals

Author

Nathalie Riel
Nathalie Riel

Saint Cyrille de Wendover, Quebec, Canada



About
I am the author of the upcoming book Mirror Souls. I have recently decided to apply myself to my dream, my first love, writing my book. I am on a journey into the field of writing and it is quite exi.. more..

Writing