Staring at My Footprints

Staring at My Footprints

A Story by Hannah Neal

Staring at My Footprints


Even as a child, I had always been gifted with a particular sense of retrospection, and so valued the trails I blazed as an individual with a greater appreciation than any other lifeless souls that wandered aimlessly. My path, though disoriented at times, showed my inner self with a better clarity than any amount of words I could come up with to voice. The long and winding path left behind my two heels simultaneously lead me further onward in my voyage to discover a destiny that to this day remains unrevealed. The impressions I have figuratively left upon the ground behind me tell an intricate story, creating a code of sorts, a code associated with myself alone as a distinct uniqueness. Often I find myself reflecting upon these imprints stamped into history by means of my own actions and choices, and in doing so come to the terms of my simple existence for but a brief moment, after which I am left with a sense of nostalgia for the fleeting knowledge that always escapes my memory. Perhaps one day I may be able to retain it, and bind it to my conscious where it would remain until the end of my being.


By means of the advanced gift of perception bestowed to me, I find myself able to view my journeys from a superior angle, a full observation of all the circles and backtrackings entailed in its entirety. With each zig-zagged line that occurs in the disarray of twist and turns of my life’s expedition to date comes a reminiscence of each choice that it represents. The states of mind that encouraged every choice at every fork in the proverbial road come rushing back to my current conscious, and, in a way, I am able to look back in time on my decisions with a clearness gained only from the personal experience of each woven moment in the tapestry of my time so far served in this world. Though yet unable to determine the final picture in my unfinished masterpiece of an existence, I take comfort in the simple thought that I am an artist, merely painting my story onto one of the countless canvases placed in this universe. It is with an artisan’s pride that I am able to admit that I possess no regrets for any of the beautiful footsteps that I have taken to reach this point in my life thus far. Every event, every occurrence of trials and tribulations every individual must face in their course through this lifetime have served only to propel me further down the path I lead. This acceptance of my self-proclaimed voyage brings me great solace and comfort to guide me into the unexplored realm wherein lies my purpose for living. I wake and breathe with each passing day to serve in its discovery.


Some may argue that fate is predetermined prior to our first intake of the oxygen that gives us life. I refute this claim not only in that our destinies are already encoded in the program of this vast universe, but also in the simple argument that the breathable atmosphere in which we are encompassed since birth is the compound that gives us life. To live, to maintain a sense of consciousness, those terms are not defined by the act of taking in and exporting air from our lungs. This is only the means by which our human forms are able to be sustained while we discover what it truly means to live. There are those who walk and breathe among us that by scientific definitions are ‘living’, yet they are merely empty shells, with no contribution, no mark to make in the world that they ‘live’ in. They merely occur as hapless souls onto the face of this planet and are soon erased when their term comes to an end. Never having actually lived, their soul dies along with the decay of their human vessel, leaving not even a ghost of an individual deceased. I wonder to myself with amazement how these souls could have existed so long as they did without ever even having discovered the joy and self-fulfillment that accompanies one as they exhale the last breath of a life well-lived. Saddened by the reality that not everyone lives, I am concreted in my resolve to create a lasting set of footprints, no matter their direction, in the sands of time beneath my feet. This resolution has proved to be an adequate source of encouragement throughout the entirety of my travels thus far, and so will remain my motivation in my quest to discover myself.


Our paths as human beings that walk across the face of this earth are as intricate and intertwined as the threaded weavings of the ornate embroideries that deck the walls inside heaven itself, and are the substance and foundation to our purpose in the world. It is only by these tracks that we leave that we are remembered and sustained long after our hearts cease to make rhythm. Every step we make is essential to the final product of our existence, and serves in inconceivable ways to expand the stories we live. Of course, the contemplation of the infinite outcomes that may have occurred should I have taken even one altered step in my journey is not foreign to the deep and bursting chambers of my rambling mind. Yet, even as I consider the vast amount of possible directions my life could have taken up to this point in time, I maintain the mentality of no doubts in any of my past decisions, as they are the founding essence of my present position, and without them my life would cease to exist as I have come to know and cherish it. With imploration I speak out to those with lingering and troubled regrets for past selections in the paths that they have made, and plead that reconsideration be in order. Life is a delicate balance between our choices, and the choices of all those around us, for together as a humanity we create a larger picture with each individually tailored piece of a greater design. It has been delegated to each individual life form to create and embellish each fraction of a mysterious final masterpiece, and in our newly-discovered but fully capable hands lies the future of humanity, and therein lies the responsibility (to ourselves primarily) to create something superior to our miniscule yet meaningful existence.

© 2013 Hannah Neal


Author's Note

Hannah Neal
Let me know what you think! This just sort of came to me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Advanced Technology has lead you to this of the creator the wonders of the masterpiece of his creations. To God's existence a accept intelligence design of the Lord and master of the universe The one and only God my Lord Jesus Christ who has created all things seen and unseen he unquestionably has done it all and I am so proud to be serving him as Lord and Savior. What a great mind he has created in you to write so adequately on his behalf I thank you for your words of knowledge from the Lord could lead you down this path of all knowing his power and his glory is for all to share.

Posted 9 Years Ago


You have a superb clarity of style and ease of reading that is so rare. I am not sure WHY it is rare, but you have done a magnificent job of laying this out manner of factly, as if it were nothing to communicate these complex concepts. I love the title too! When things "just come to you," they come WELL!! I really like your style a lot, and it leaves me feeling I am just bumbling like an idiot trying to do a reasonably good job of saying something other that just jabbering about it being "good," but it really is. If you would ever like to toss some ideas back and forth with me I am always down to collaborate on something. I think our styles would work well together. We could even write a part and then send it to the other one to write the next. (I find on this site some people think when I say "collaborate" I might as well be asking them on a date. Please don't take it that way. I mean this in a professional way.)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is extremely insightful and perceptive. Often we don't realize how the choices we make and the hands we're dealt really do have such a profound impact on where we are today. In the same way, I think anyone who thrives on any type of creation does so for the joy but also to leave part of themselves for others to find. This is an incredible piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 22, 2013
Last Updated on December 22, 2013