A scream in the night

A scream in the night

A Story by Nik
"

»This can't be happening to me,« I thought.

"

»This can't be happening to me,« I thought. I have to confess that my husband and I had been having a few problems recently but it had never occured to me that there was no limit to where my husband could go.

It started yesterday when I got home from work. I'd been working long hours that we barely saw each other. Yesterday was no difference. John was sitting in front of our piano and playing some classic music. As I was so exhausted I just kissed him on his cheek and went in our bedroom. Then I laid in our bed and I only heard a sound of classic music played on the piano in the background. When the music stopped playing I finally fell asleep.

A terrible sound of broken glass waked me up. »What's going on?« I wondered as I got up from the bed. I opened the door and the unpleasant smell of cigarette smoke filled my room. It was obviously that he was fed up with my constant lies that I don't have time to be at home. I actually tried to avoid him as it was so typical of him to fight with me. Then I suddenly realised. I had known this night would come. I hadn't expected it to come so quickly, though.

Immediately I started to run for my life. I rushed through the house and hoped he wouldn't notice. Unfortunately I was wrong. As soon as I ran thorugh the front door he started chasing me. I hoped eventually he would become more responsible and mature but that didn't happen. I was still running for my life when I found an appropriate solution. I thought I would be safe in my aparment near the house. I was really breathless while running and when I finally came to my flat the sweat was pouring down from me.

»Thank God! I'm safe now,« I thought as I entered my flat. But soon as I turned on the light, I noticed a glass on the table. He was there waiting for me. All I could do at that moment was just a scream.

© 2010 Nik


Author's Note

Nik
This is my first short story on WritersCafe.org. It was made as an additional work for my English classes because our English teacher wanted to see our progress during the year. I got the best mark and a teacher's comment was really well-written, but she is only a professor of English, living in Slovenia. Well, she had lived in England for some years, but I would still appreciate an opinion from other people who are a native speakers of English language. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
Added on July 18, 2010
Last Updated on July 18, 2010
Tags: scream, night

Author

Nik
Nik

Slovenia