Don't judge the book by its cover

Don't judge the book by its cover

A Story by Kimi-chan
"

This is just something I wrote to help everyone understand me and my disabilities.

"
Everyone always judges me just by asperger syndrome. No one ever stops to think about the comorbids because they should. My disabilities affect me in different ways. It's like a big chemical reaction you get when mixing two or more chemicals together that don't mix... and you get a bad reaction.

I know that Asperger Syndrome is my MAIN condition but you can't see me just for having that. People always think, "Well you seem to type very intelligently so I find it hard to believe you need this kind of help." It bothers me because they don't know me offline and yet they judge me just by the way I write.

Writing is the only thing I have that lets me express what I go through. It lets me express things I always have the hardest time expressing when I can't explain those things verbally.

You can't judge someone by their ability and think, "that person is lying" or "that person seems to want attention that she doesn't really need"; why do that? Why say things like that when you don't know the person to know what they go through?

It's one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone judges me by the way I write. It's like they've never seen someone with autism write so well. There was this girl named Carly with severe autism and mental retardation... she baffled everyone because she could communicate with long paragraphs just like me by typing on a computer.

People think that just because someone types well or has an invisible disability, doesn't have one at all or doesn't have as many problems as when with a severe disability. We all have problems that we can't deal with and its not a matter of the way a person types that makes them different from those who can't. People have different ways of using communication and mine just happens to be writing.

So you know what I say? Don't judge a book by its cover. You never know what the contents are inside of that book.

© 2011 Kimi-chan


Author's Note

Kimi-chan
I wrote this out of rant mode because I get tired of how people judge me. It seems like everywhere I go people think that just because I write with intelligence that I don't have as many problems as I say I do. It's like they are judging my book by its cover but not seeing what the contents might be inside of it... you know what I mean?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER!!! That's what I tell EVERYONE!! Do they listen to me? Sometimes, I guess. :P I KNOW what you mean. It's kind of...exhausting...I mean seriously. People ASSUME they understand you. They ASSUME you are what you seem. I hate assumptions. No offense to anyone out there who might've been offended by my little ranting here :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1415 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 29, 2011
Last Updated on June 29, 2011
Tags: disability, asperger syndrome, adhd, severe anxiety, auditory processing disorder, disabled

Author

Kimi-chan
Kimi-chan

Gold Canyon, AZ



About
My name is Kimi and I am 22 years old. I am diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Auditory Processing Disorder and Severe Anxiety. I am able to express myself through writing because of the challeng.. more..

Writing