An Eye for an Eye

An Eye for an Eye

A Story by Nessie_AJ
"

One man pays the price for committing a horrible crime, but at what end does one fully receive justice?

"
You could hear a pin drop. The anxious audience waited. Finally, the austere guards brought in the prisoner, his hands bound by silver shackles, cutting the tension- filled air with clinking and clanking. The people who came to witness the execution couldn't take their eyes off of him, his black, beady eyes emitting an animalistic quality forcing those who met his eyes to shudder. A stout, middle aged man with wire- rimmed spectacles read off the prisoner's sentencing: "Adam Smith, you have been found guilty for child abduction and five counts of murder in the first degree. You have been sentenced to hang by the neck until death on this day, October 5, 1928. Do you have any final words?" The man's face held no expression as he read from the sentencing book, his job a mere script. 
Adam collapsed to his knees. His shackles rattled like the chains of Marley's ghost, as he broke down in hysterics and started to pray frantically. "Mary mother of God, spare me..." the rest was all an recognizable mumble. The intimidating guards yanked Adam to his feet and shoved him to the white scaffold before slowly slipping a black sack over the man's unruly strawberry blonde hair. Adam's overwrought tone lowered to a dull whisper, the sounds of his voice fading as he prayed to a God that was bestowing a hand of justice that unfortunately did not protect Adam. 
Without so much of a ounce of regret, the guard tightened the thick noose around Adam's neck and the sack, sealing Adam in a darkness that would haunt him for an eternity. It seemed like forever went by as the crowd counted down in their minds. 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..The guard pulled a lever, the floor giving way to Adam's weight. His body dangled, his feet kicked as he struggled to breathe. His struggles didn't do him any good, his efforts dulled to gasping breath and twitching feet. 
The crowd of witnesses let out sighs of relief at the thought, at least one bad man could no longer terrorize their community and traumatize their children. The doctor made his way through the witness and drew out his stethoscope, placing it on Adam's chest, confirming what everyone already knew; Adam's heart would no longer beat. After a few moments, the crow dispersed, all except one. A woman by the name of Rose Anderson bowed her head and closed her eyes, a single teardrop cascading down her cheek. She slowly ambled forward. 
" I'm so sorry," Rose whispered in a hushed tone, placing a picture of her now dead son, Lucas, next to Adam's cold, dead body, hoping that even in death Adam would feel the weight of his crime.

© 2015 Nessie_AJ


Author's Note

Nessie_AJ
Let me know what you guys think! This was a free writing assignment regarding capital punishment!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this. Your description was excellent, and I found no mistakes in the text.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nessie_AJ

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Marie! Your reviews are a pleasure as always!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Added on March 19, 2015
Last Updated on March 19, 2015
Tags: punishment, justice, murder, kidnap, hanging

Author

Nessie_AJ
Nessie_AJ

NC



About
"Answer- that life exists and identity- that the powerful play goes on and I may contribute a verse." "Pain demands to be felt." Hey ya'll! From the South and blessed! I'm a lyrical dancer and I.. more..

Writing
Broken Wings Broken Wings

A Story by Nessie_AJ