Fundamentally Flawed But Abundantly Clear

Fundamentally Flawed But Abundantly Clear

A Poem by Astro
"

"What I want to be when I grow up."

"
When I was an infant my environment was awash in a spectrum of color.
So before I could speak, I learned to identify things by color.
When I got a bit older, I was given toy blocks to play with.
So before I could walk I learned basic geometry and written language.
When I got older still I learned to stand and walk.
So before I could run I learned what boundaries were.
When I learned how to speak I could say why I was crying.
So before I could read I learned about lying.
When I first learned about religion I was bored.
So before I went to school I was already a heathen.
When first discovered French I wanted to learn it.
So before I studied English I knew another language.
Then when I was in school I was taught about the world.
I learned first the continents then the countries and capitals.
Soon I was introduced to social studies and Canadian history.
It was around this time that I started to see myself as an individual.
I felt this way because I was curious, I often wondered why?
Why things were as they were?  Why we could only know so much?
Why was time such an issue?  Why do I have to sit still and listen?
This is when I knew I wanted to be a writer.
I was not an easy student to teach.
I found education as it was taught to be as boring as religion.
I frequently got into trouble... for so many reasons.
Too many to count like lines on a chalkboard.
When I was first tested for aptitude and intelligence many were shocked.
So before I reached High School the word prodigy was tossed around.
When I was invited into an enriched class of other smart kids, I was no different.
So before the year was over the school dissolved the enrichment program due to misbehavior.
When I first learned algebra my math teacher said I wouldn't be able to handle High School math.
I proved her wrong despite the fact that I still hate algebra.
When I made it to High School I excelled rather quickly because I had more options to learn.
So before I had no training in English, now I could hone my writing skills further.
When I became the Co-editor of the school newspaper, my voice finally had a forum.
So before I graduated I was already critiquing the system, social, educational and religious.
When I defended my right to sit during the Lords Prayer with legal and moral grounds I was hated.
So before they could punish me for disobedience I supported my argument with evidence and was respected.
For years afterward and some might say until today I have enjoyed another type of learning.
I have always been open to new experiences and feel it is the best way to truly know something.
I've traveled and learned in and out of institutions of higher learning.
My life experiences and education in and out of school have shaped me.
I hope to never stop learning, developing and experiencing all that there is to offer.
Not only that, I see as much possibility on the horizon as I can see the potential for destruction.
So rather fit like one of my childhood blocks into a square hole that society has placed there for me, I resist.
I've always resisted conformity and short thinking or shortsightedness.
I embrace change but with an understanding that it must be made intelligently.
As we approach the singularity between man and machine we must do it with as much hope as precaution.
I believe we can change into a much better world and this.... is why I write.

© 2013 Astro


Author's Note

Astro
This piece came out nothing like I had imagined going in, but still in essence contains many of the elements that I wished to share. I will definitely write more on the topic of the ideas surrounding the 'singularity' and how it affects you, me and everyone. Either way I hope you enjoyed my write.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow...there was some deep stuff in here. I could see shreds of my own psyche exposed in this one from when I was growing up. We all have a certain way of percieving the world, and this perception is defining, refining...and these perceptions change as we grow. It is amazing to look back and really take a hard look at the way that I percieved my existence when I was a child...I truly thought that when I left a room, everyone in that room just sort of disappeared until I entered again, because I was the center of the universe. Of course, this isn't how the world works, I have sense come to realize. lol

I liked the commentary of this one, and I think that for being so full of thoughts and ideas, you did a good job with the flow. There may be a few places where things are a little choppy, but overall, you nailed this one.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Astro

10 Years Ago

I chose no to send read requests on this on because I knew it lacked pollish. I'm thankful that my .. read more
your right...its not really even rhyming...but at least you tried your best....and we get what are you trying to say...i do enjoyed it...
thanks for sharing your "littlehood"...^_^

Posted 10 Years Ago


Laminators Dubai

10 Years Ago

ooh
my bad...
Astro

10 Years Ago

No worries.
Laminators Dubai

10 Years Ago

da.............^_^

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 27, 2013
Last Updated on August 27, 2013
Tags: Growth, Evolution, Personal, History, Biographical, spoken word

Author

Astro
Astro

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada



About
Mystery even unto myself. more..

Writing
Cold Blanket Cold Blanket

A Poem by Astro