Microstory 104: Helen Larkin

Microstory 104: Helen Larkin

A Story by Nick Fisherman
"

This is an experimental Bellevue Profile microstory. The introduction can be found in Microstory 101. More to follow.

"
Helen Larkin was born into a gigantic family with everyone living close together, but the only one she knew of with her own special ability was her cousin, Jen. One thing later learned about anomaly abilities was that they were logically genetic. “Anomaly” wasn’t just its own separate category that allowed each individual to have any random ability. With enough time and data, one could conceivably trace an anomaly’s lineage back to the original test subject thousands of years ago. If, for instance, the anomaly could manipulate fire, that would mean that their ancestor underwent experiments involving fire. But Helen was different; an anomaly among anomalies. While Jen could harness the power of human biofuel, Helen could channel other people’s abilities. Of course, until they encountered a third one of their kind, they had assumed that they simply shared the same ability. Over the years, and with the help of Bellevue, Helen’s acuity grew enormously. She was able to channel abilities across great distances, learned better control of them, and could permanently absorb the abilities of the deceased. Anyone who didn’t know her might have been worried that she would turn to murder in order to increase her power in this way, but Helen was wholly good. Bellevue, as an organization, was designed to solve the world’s problems on massive scales. They were attempting to use people’s abilities to invent paradigm-shifting technologies, and gain perspective on social issues. The abilities themselves were secondary. After careful thought, however, Helen decided that her abilities would be put to better use as short-term strategies. She became one of the first of a select few so-called superheroes.

© 2015 Nick Fisherman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great one, once again loving these microstories.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 15, 2015
Last Updated on October 27, 2015
Tags: ability, anomalies, Bellevue, Bellevue Profiles, cousin, electricity, experiment, family, fire, microfiction, microstory, recursiverse, short fiction, superhero, technology

Author

Nick Fisherman
Nick Fisherman

About
BE SURE TO READ MY ONGOING NOVEL SERIES, THE ADVANCEMENT OF MATEO MATIC PUBLISHED VOLUME 1 (2015): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/624899 2016 Installments: http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/N.. more..

Writing
Test Test

A Story by Nick Fisherman