The Storm and the Kitten

The Storm and the Kitten

A Story by Nicole

There I was, just sitting on the grass. I sat cross-legged. A few strands of hair fell in front of my eyes, as I bowed my head, analysing every little detail of the landscape before me. I lifted one hand and gently brushed it aside. I then used the same hand and brushed it lightly across the grass, feeling the little strands tickle my palm. The strad of hair fell in front of my face again, and this time I left it.

 

I looked up into the sky. It was a gloomy day today, it looked like it was going to rain. I watched the dark grey clouds, large and puffy, coming in from every corner. The wind was blowing them closer. I felt the breeze across my face, light and soft, and a little chilly. I didn't mind though, I was wearing a sweater. I now let the sleeves roll over my hands, to protect them from the cold, and wrapped my arms around myself.

 

It was very peaceful out here. I heard a cry from a seagull, and looked up to find three of them, circling above the tree I was sitting under. I lay back, using the tree trunk for support, and let my head touch the bark. It felt a little rough, but my hair protected me from it, for the most part.

 

I don't know how long I sat there, just thinking, not a single person in sight except for me, before the wind became much more violent. It whipped across the plane, throwing my hair in a frenzy. My hair was flying in front of my face, obscuring my view. I let it be. I felt the wind across my face, making it tougher for me to breathe. I didn't care.

 

It must have been only a few minutes later when the rain started. There was no thunder or lightning yet, but it was raining very hard. I felt each drop splash on the different parts of my body, making my clothes soaked right through. Could start to feel my skin getting wet. I started to shiver a little, but I sat there still...thinking...

 

Suddenly, the whole sky was lit up, everything was white. I didn't see the forest before me, all I could see was white. Just as quickly as the white appeared, however, it disappeared. A split second later, a loud crash emitted from the sky, shaking the earth beneath me. I pulled my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. The weather suited my emotions and thoughts just fine.

 

I always seemed to have a link with nature. The weather normally portrayed what I felt inside. I could smell the rain now, that beautiful, rich, and clean smell...

 

I closed my eyes, and surrendered all of my senses to the storm. This was the only way to stop overthinking about everything. Storms always calmed me down. I felt my breathing slow, my thoughts came to an end, all I could hear, smell, see, feel, and think was the storm.

 

That is, until I heard a small meowing at my feet, and opened my eyes to find a tiny kitten, probably only weeks old, soaked through to the bone. She was ever so thin, like she hadn't eaten in days. The poor scrawny little thing tore at my heart. She meowed again, in what could only be interpreted as agony, and I picked her up in my hands, and held her to my chest. I placed both my arms over her lightly to shelter her from the storm. She shivered in my arms, but eventually settled, and began to purr. I ran two of my fingers through her soft, delicate, grey fur. She began to fall asleep, though the storm continued to rage.

 

I wanted to wait out in the storm, and let it take over my mind a while longer, but this pour innocent creature needed my help. So I got up, and made my way home. Carrying the little kitty to my chest, right against my heart. She had found me in her time of need, and I was going to help her. She had also come to me in my time of need, and little did she know, she was helping me too. For this little tiny creature in my hands, held up against my heart, was already making me feel wanted and happy.

© 2008 Nicole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a very nice short piece. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww omg i love it nicole!!! amazing work! very touching story... plz continue it! :D lol good use of emotion and it's very well-written :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 15, 2008
Last Updated on September 15, 2008

Author

Nicole
Nicole

Canada



About
i love writing and reading i really love jonas brothers (and joe jonas with my life!!) uhm twilight, hp, sisterhood series are some of my favs i also love empress of the world and so many books that i.. more..

Writing
Magic Magic

A Poem by Nicole


The Car Ride The Car Ride

A Story by Nicole


Imagine Imagine

A Story by Nicole