Blood Moon - Chapter One

Blood Moon - Chapter One

A Story by Nikki Hope
"

So, first chapter of a book i was thinking about writing. young werewolf in college, harased by the popular people and such but a bigger problem is rising to the surface :)

"

Chapter One

 

I have a paper due tomorrow. Fifteen pages, no double sides and double spaced on the influence of music on today’s modern teenager. And right now I should be working on the stupid assignment, but I keep encountering certain distractions. Namely my roommate and her boyfriend and the football team and the cheerleader team and now the full moon.

And this isn’t particularly unique. It happens when A your roommate has some sort of addiction to her boyfriend’s tongue B the football team captain hates me because I’m the only girl in this damn school that won’t sleep with him and C the cheerleader team hate me because I have a perfect figure and a beautiful face and I can’t out gymnast (and wit) them anytime I like. Oh, and you happen to a werewolf on top of all this.

Of course no one knows I am a werewolf. If they did I reckon they would hate me a lot more, don’t you? Or rather i would be killed. I can tell you one thing though. I am going to need an extension on the paper.

I was walking straight across the football field when the distraction came.

“Well if it isn’t little Evelyn, out for a midnight stroll?” an all too familiar voice called while a few more made odd noises. I turned on my heel as half the football team surrounded me, plastic cups of beer in their hands. They must have come from the under-bleachers party I never get invited to.

I just stood silently. I didn’t quite trust myself not to fly off the handle when my mind was burning with the anticipation of a shift under the glow of the full moon.

“what no snappy comments?” the captain leered at me, coming close enough that his drunk breath made my long hair shimmer as it moved. I just wrinkled my nose at his sweaty, alcoholic testosterone scent.

“Sure I have two snappy words for you” I snarled with an unusually rough voice “F**k Off”

The idiots surrounding me made sarcastic ‘oooh’ ing noises and one of them dared to shout “is it that time of the month Eve?”

“I swear if you don’t move I may just knock you out right now” I snarled again, my eyes flicking up to the rising moon. She was nearly peaking in the sky, and the first pangs of pain where searing down the back of my legs.  I kind of wish I could tell them the truth. I hear that women who are older than your grandma really turn men off these days. So do claws and fangs, or so I’m told.

“Oh yeah?” drunk one who I only knew by face stumbled up to me and gave my shoulder a push. I glared at him furiously. Apparently right now an a*s kicking was unavoidable, and who was giving and who was receiving was quite clear to me.

The shooting pains in my legs were beginning to become unbearable, and my legs were starting to quake. Soon I wouldn’t be able to stand.

The drunken idiots surrounding me didn’t see the dangerous flash in my eyes, or hear my jaw click and crack. I ran my tongue across my teeth. I cut my human tongue on my sharp canine teeth. I was beginning to shift. I risked all and spoke again to the b*****d who had pushed me.

“Come on” I snarled. He came forward and I brought my knee up straight into his crotch. Hard. He howled in pain and his cry made the others stop jeering and leering at me. In fact it was now so silent I could hear the party going on, undisturbed by this guy’s yell of pain.

Well, except for the half of the cheerleaders that had come out to investigate what their boyfriends where up too. This college was more like a high school if you asked me, only with more things to study. And It was ironic the cheerleaders than came out hate me too. They started yelling some form of unrepeatable abuse at me.

I looked up again; I had seconds to get somewhere safe to shift. I ran passed the withering mass on the floor and to the other end of the football pitch where the light didn’t reach under the bleachers. The footsteps behind me told me I was being perused even without looking back.

I skidded to an almost stop at the bleachers, only to speed up when I noticed a couple doing something very inappropriate for their location. I kept on running with the cheerleaders’ behind me. I changed my course to the campus garden. There I dove into the bushes and between the apple trees just as it became too late.

The moon reached her peak in the night sky and a blinding pain spread in my head. It was difficult not to yell out. My arms began to burn and itch and then bulge out as the muscle formed and the bones reshaped and dark coloured fur grew all over my body. I began to pant and snarl to myself as the final phases of my shift passed over. When it was over I shook myself like a wet dog and used my hind leg to scratch the last tingle of the shift away.

Then the head cheerleader, Leah, moved the bushes. I decided since I could to have a little fun. I jumped out at her and she fell back into the mud. She screamed, more because of the mud than the bear sized black dog in front of her. I laughed, more like huffing to them and then I ran off. I needed to find a better place to be, the suburbs weren’t good for a wolf. Especially with their dog catchers and pets.

 

The location I ran to was a fairly safe and very secluded grassland where wildlife was encouraged to go, but didn’t because some town residents dumped rubbish in the river. I caught myself a few rabbits, one I was sure was a feral pet since it was albino. When the morning sun began to rise I was just considering going back to my shared house since my roommate and her boyfriend would still be asleep when I saw a sight that calmed me.

I followed the speckled blue kingfisher to the polluted river end and sat by the mucky water and watched the bird fish, the early morning light bouncing of her shiny feathers as she entered and exited the purple water each fish successful.  I happened to glance down and caught sight of another werewolf.

I stood up and watched the pair of fluorescent eyes. Then I watched as the rest of the wolf appeared from the bushes. He wasn’t a member of the pack I knew. Or if he was he was one of the newer stupider ones. I raised my shackles and gave him a warning growl. He yawned to tell me he wasn’t threatened by me. If I had been male he may have been quaking in his fur.  He took three steps around the river until he was a step away from me. I snarled and snapped my jaws three times. He gave me a look and made the fatal mistake of taking another step.

I swiped my paw at his face and turned to try and flee home, I was experienced in fighting but I was rusty. His jaws clamped down hard on my back foot and I made a whispering noise. Then I growled long and low and turned all the way around. My jaws clenched down between his shoulder blades and he let go of my foot to howl in pain. I let him go and he ran away into the bushes. I ran the other way.

Well that was unfortunate, I thought licking my lips and tasting his blood. I would have preferred to not have hurt him but I didn’t feel bad about biting him viciously. My foot was bleeding and I was limping after all.

*

Getting home was a bit of a bother now. I was leaving a few droplets if blood everywhere I went and I was struggling to pull myself into the open window. But I made it and I managed to drag myself out of the kitchen thorough the dining room and up the stairs and then into my room without making much noise.

I had just regained my human form, cold and naked on my floor, when the sun raised enough that the rays reached into my room. I smiled to myself and pulled on a long shirt and some underwear before pulling my stash of medical supplies out from under my UN made bed. I cleaned the bite, and then hissed when I applied antiseptic. I had met a werewolf elder with a missing limb because he hadn’t disinfected his wounds after a fight. Then I bandaged my foot and fell into my bed for a half hours’ worth of sleep.

I didn’t even get that. Fifteen minutes after I fell into a quiet sleep my roommate Lindsey screamed. I jumped up in panic and ran down to the kitchen where she was stood in her bath robe with wet hair screaming at a few droplets of blood. Her boyfriend Mac jumped around the corner behind me with a baseball bat and nearly took my head off.

“Lindsey it’s just a bit of blood” I told her yawning.

“Just a bit of blood! Its proof someone was in our house! I told you leaving this damn window open at night were bad” she yelled at me.

“Lindsey...” I began.

She cut me off “we need to check everything valuable is still here”

“Lindsey...” I was getting impatient.

“And if it’s not we should phone the police! I bet it was one of the campus rats” she glared at the floor.

“Lindsey it’s my blood” I told her quickly in the minute she had shut up. She looked up blankly.

“What?” she asked.

“It’s my blood” I indicated to my bandaged foot “I came down for a glass of water last night and I cut my ankle where a vein is. Sorry I forgot to mop up, it was dark and I didn’t want to disturb you” I lied, but I was good and comfortable at lying. Werewolves can smell a lie from people’s emotions; I was getting so good at lying that I could no longer tell if I was lying myself.

“Oh good” she breathed “well, not good for you but you know. I’ll clean it up” she smiled.

“No!” I yelled. Bother Lindsey and Mac jumped.

“Er... remembers you don’t want to get my illness” I reminded her. She nodded and passed me the cloth. I had told her I had a blood passing illness but it wasn’t contagious, unless she touched my blood. This was technically right. She could become a werewolf or have werewolf like symptoms if my blood entered any sized wound on her and entered her blood stream.

I mopped up my blood from the kitchen, and bleached our already white carpets until the blood was gone. Then I got dressed and retrieved my bag and computer and set out to the campus, limping slightly.

© 2011 Nikki Hope


Author's Note

Nikki Hope
Ok so i know i put this in 'Story' but hey...
This is just an rough draft copy, but please tell me what you think! its not my first thing but its the first one iv wanted people to read. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Its good :P

Rating outta 100? This sites nice, normally its only 20 or 5 hahahh
Just a few spelling mistakes btw but i like it :)


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 15, 2011
Last Updated on March 15, 2011

Author

Nikki Hope
Nikki Hope

Darlington, North East, United Kingdom



About
Well, Im Nikki. I write Fantasy And fiction and very rarely write poems. Im 1/4 Irish 1/4 Southener and 2/4 notrthener so if you ever meet me pardon my freaky hybrid accent :D only thing you need to .. more..

Writing