The Clever Coyote Story <3

The Clever Coyote Story <3

A Story by Nikki Hope
"

My version of one of my all time fave Native American Storys of all time!! Clever Coyote is a Comanche Myth <3

"

Years ago, before the boats arrived upon the shores of the new land, a terrifying troublesome monster terrorized the land.

 

The tribes people livied in fear of the monster, and made sure to never set foot out of their camps alone or at night. The ones who had seen the monster (and lived to tell the tale) described the monster as grotesque with horns produceing from thick smelly fur on its head that covered its entire body, purple blood shot eyes peered out from the fur and long thick wiskkers stretched from his snout. They also said that the monsters paws where the size of a bears head, tipped with thick black claws, and the huge snout hid thousands of sharp teeth and a tounge covered in barbed spikes, perfect for licking the flesh of his prey.

 

Then one day the monster, lazy and fed up of chaseing his prey across the plains and mountins, herded all the buffalo off the plain and into his cave where he trapped them.

"ALL MINE" he roared ferociously from his cave where his voice echoed into the tribe camp.

Of course the buffalo is what the people ate and their fur is what they used to keep warm... without the buffalo their resources became scarce and after a while the buffalos absence on the plane began to effect the other animals too.

 

Coyote, a wild dog, was brave and clever and on a night with the full moon he gathered together all the tribes people and forest animals to see what they could do about the monster.

No one had any ideas. They where all to afraid of the monster.

"I have scouted by the monsters cave for a while, hopeing to catch some scraps of food." Coyote final admitted "He lives with a small boy, who cares for the monsters fur and teeth and claws and tends the buffalo to make sure they stay nice and fat while the monster sleeps"

 

"We cannot hurt a child..." one of the tribes women spoke up, and a murmer of agreement washed over the group.

" That is understood" agreed coyote "but i was thinking a small boy must get very lonely with no one to care for but a terrifing monster. I think we should give him a pet, and when the pet me send gets the chance he or she can set the buffalo free"

The animals and people thought this was a brilliant, marvelous idea.

 

First they sent mouse to win the heart of the boy. The boy liked mouse, and talked to him all day and when night fell he took mouse home to the cave. But the monster told him to set the mouse free or else he would eat the mouse. The boy, who decided the mouse was his freind, set the mouse free to make sure the monster wouldnt hurt his freind. Next they sent Killdeer, a bird, but the bird shared the same fate as mouse.

 

Coyote called another meeting after the next four animals faild too...

"I think..." Coyote said to the troubled crowed "that i shall go myself"

The animals and the people where close to giveing up. They decided without Coyote that if this did not work, they would leave the plains and find a new home.

 

The very next day Coyote set out for the monsters lair, the boys eyes brightend when he saw coyote and he fell in love with the wild dog immediatly. But the monster got angry.

He growled and roared at the boy "GET THAT MANGY DOG OUT OF HERE OR ILL EAT YOU BOTH!!"

Crying the boy fled to the top of the mountin with the Coyote following him. The boy sat on a rock and watched as the monster left the cave to go fetch water. Tears rolled down the boys cheek and coyote licked it away.

"Poor dog" said the boy "I bet your hungry like all the other animals?"

 

Coyote felt bad for the boy as he cried some more. Coyote threw back his head and howled, because this was the sound that coyote's make to help you feel better. In the cave bellow the buffalo heard coyote's cry and began to shuffle nervously and stamp their hooves with nervousness.

The more the boy cried, the harder and longer coyote howled until his howl echoed across the plains for everyone to hear. Below the buffalo got even more scared, and one of them began to run. the rest of the buffalo followed and together they broke out of their trap and scattered across the plains again where the people and animals helped them hide from the monster. Howling angrily the monster dropped his bucket of water and tried to chase after the buffalo.

 

while the monster was gone, coyote took the boy to live with the people where he would never be lonely again.

 

The monster hunted for days, but he never saw one buffalo. when he was tired he returned to his cave, expecting the boy to have made him a supper. instead he found several young warriors who fell upon the monster. the war crys and monsters roars and snarls where heard for hours as the battle wore on until fianlly, all went silent and the tribe clapped as the warriors returned with the monsters lifeless body.

 

The boy wanted the coyote to stay, but coyote explained that he couldnt, he was a wild dog and needed to be free to explore the land as he pleased.

the boy and the coyote said goodbye. Coyote ran off into the distance.

 

and that is why the elders say we owe the clever coyote for the buffalo.

 

© 2011 Nikki Hope


Author's Note

Nikki Hope
ignore spellings and grammer and such.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have never read this story of the coyote, but from your interpretation it's good. Native American stories are thought provoking and, well, kind of fun. It was sweet with the boy and the coyote!
Just one thing, I'm thinking "horns producing from thick smelly fur" should be "protruding".
Great story!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I have never read this story of the coyote, but from your interpretation it's good. Native American stories are thought provoking and, well, kind of fun. It was sweet with the boy and the coyote!
Just one thing, I'm thinking "horns producing from thick smelly fur" should be "protruding".
Great story!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1425 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 24, 2011
Last Updated on March 24, 2011

Author

Nikki Hope
Nikki Hope

Darlington, North East, United Kingdom



About
Well, Im Nikki. I write Fantasy And fiction and very rarely write poems. Im 1/4 Irish 1/4 Southener and 2/4 notrthener so if you ever meet me pardon my freaky hybrid accent :D only thing you need to .. more..

Writing