Flop of Thugs of Hindostan proves that new Indian movie audience is waking up.

Flop of Thugs of Hindostan proves that new Indian movie audience is waking up.

A Story by Nilesh Roy
"

I think the recent flop of Thugs of Hindostan has proved that the new Indian movie audience is waking up and its high time that they did.

"

For many years now Bollywood has thrived on the same repetitive formulas which is a messy mix bag of love,comedy and action with the occasional dose of ripping off western and other foreign language movies and sad part is that the Indian audience has been eating this nonsense for decades which has made them contempt with the content that they are paying their hard earned money on. Not only are these movies uninspired and repetitive, they also contain messages which more than often have been affecting the youth of India for years in a negative way which include stalking and eve teasing to display love, a common man beating up countless number of goons and getting away with killing because in their logic,killing criminals is a noble thing,sexual puns and innuendos being peak comedy,bar dancing in item songs being normalized, etc are some of the countless thing i can point that are wrong with the Indian cinema industry.

Now I'm not saying they are no good or even great movies in Indian cinemas but how popular Are they and most importantly how many of you have went to see them in theaters. Instead of popularizing the good movies we have,we spent our money on these mindless masala movies with little to no stories, no striking visuals of cinematography, no creative editing, average acting, meaningless screenplay, average and loud background scores with some occasional good songs but mostly bad item numbers which have no creative writing behind them (since they even have started ripping off old Bollywood classics into throwaway EDM party tracks), bad visual effects and I’m not talking about CGI since that can only be done with the right budget,I’m talking about set pieces,camera tricks,practical effects,etc are many different ways of visual effects in movies can be improved but Bollywood seems to be relied only on CGI since they have no creative mind of their own. And I’m not excluding other industries of Indian cinema here. Each regional film industry have their diamonds among st the coal mine, but in the last few years the trend of Tollywood masala style movies have reached not only the head of Salman Khan but also to other regional industries since they are the easiest cash grab.

But now coming to the current scenario, its the age of internet. Streaming platforms like Netflix and Prime video have been more popular than ever and the number of internet users have been skyrocketing since a few years. People now consume all kinds of content from short YouTube sketch comedies to mind blowing sci-fi series. People can now watch different content anytime they like without going to the theaters so why should they?

Its because theaters have been the source of entertainment for many years where families and friends can go together to have a fun time. If you don’t provide people with new and original content, they will get bored and find new and better means of entertainment elsewhere. If the film industry does not keep up with growing web based content they are going to suffer huge losses in the future. This recent debacle with Thugs of Hindostan has now proved that people are slowly getting of aware of better entertainment and if denied, they know how to raise their voice and its high time they did. It’ll be a lesson for fraud directors that instead of wasting big budgets on movies ranging from terrible to passable and expecting the big celebrity stars to ride it on their shoulders, they’ll finally make something great which will break boundaries of countries and reach to the foreign audience.

This article was the cause of a news in which i read that many celebrities were defending the movie saying that audience have started having too much high expectations from movies and that every viewer is now becoming a critic. Well why shouldn’t they. How can you expect making passable movies for years and not have the audience complain about them now. They have every right to be angry and question their cinema because criticism is the sole reason movies become better. But because there is a clear lack of respectable critics in this country, our cinemas are in this position and even those who Are good critics and have a good eye for analyzing movies for all aspects of movie making, are never heard to and hence no changes are brought upon. This country is filled with fake critics (without taking any names) who can only seen to talk about what the story is and nothing else, sugarcoating it with intellectual words from their pocket dictionary to seem like a legitimate critic. So in conclusion, every moviegoer who is even a bit of a fan of movies and would like see Indian cinema reach new heights, raise your voice and question everything. BECOME A CRITIC.

© 2018 Nilesh Roy


Author's Note

Nilesh Roy
I haven't taken any names of movies as examples in this article since taste is subjective.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on November 18, 2018
Last Updated on November 18, 2018
Tags: bollywood, thugs of hindostan, india, cinema

Author

Nilesh Roy
Nilesh Roy

Gorakhpur, UTTAR PRADESH, India



About
I'm just a normal person who has some opinions for the things i love, hope to connect with people who share them. more..