Life is a Path

Life is a Path

A Story by Annique le Roux
"

The path of life can be dusty, rocky and dirty at times. It may disappear for a while, leaving you helpless and alone. At other times it may be wide, clearly visible and bordered by beautiful flowers.

"

It takes strong feet to step over jagged stones,

It takes tough skin to survive the merciless sun,

It takes keen eyes to seek the road ahead,

It takes a soft heart to recognize beauty.

There is a path – cruel, cold, treacherous, warm, verdant, fascinating and mysterious.

This path is life.

The path of life can be dusty, rocky and dirty at times. It may disappear for a while, leaving you helpless and alone. At other times it may be wide, clearly visible and bordered by beautiful flowers.

This path, like any other, has its ups and downs. It can lead you through treacherous blizzards and vast, blistering deserts, making you wonder whether you will ever find your way out again. It can ascend mountains so high, their peaks are lost in the brilliant dome of blue sky above, yet stun you with the view when you reach the top. Through verdant fields, greener than a spring sapling and dotted with wild flowers it may lead, across laughing brooks and through forests that breathe of freshly fallen showers. It could lead past cities and towns with twinkling lights, inviting you into their cosy shelter or through caves home to fearsome creatures, lying in slumber, ready to catch you unawares.

When it seems too difficult to carry on and when your muscles are screaming in protest as you set up over an immeasurably high mountain be reminded that oaks grow strong in heavy winds and diamonds are made under pressure. You are building up your muscles for the next mountain.

There will be times when the ominous weather matches your mood and threatens to overwhelm you and other times when not even the darkest rain cloud could dampen your spirits. A change of heart is common in your journey along the path. Indeed, you will experience more than one. Thunderstorms may leave you feeling miserable and cold to the bone making you wonder whether, perhaps, there is an easier way out. While seeing the sky splashed with colour from the setting sun may fill you will exhilaration and pride for the beautiful world around you.

The path of life may seem simple and very much the same as other paths, but with one very big difference. It offers no help. There is no map, no route-markers and no sign posts. You are left to your own devices. Allow your heart to carry you, let your feet find their own way and use your eyes to look at the beauty around you. Notice the petals of the flowers in that field of brilliant green. Feel the cool night air on your face and the light touch of snowflakes as they litter the ground around you. One day you will look back on the path you have traveled and the memories you took with you, make sure they are worth remembering.

The path is what we make it. He who is cheerful and he who is melancholy have the same view, but very different is the way in which they see it. Walk your path with a smile, you need only to look around to find reason for it.

While you travel, make sure to live in the present landscape. Wonder not about what is yet to come or those sights you have passed. Seize the opportunity to learn all you can from your current position. The wise do not look backwards, pondering that which you have passed, nor do they contemplate what might wait for them over the next hill.

When you reach the end of your path, will you look at the scars on your body with disgust? Scars gained from burning your feet in the desert, from cutting your hands on rocks, from staying in that city. Or will you examine them with interest, remembering how it took all your strength and cunning to escape with only a few scars and smile. Smile with satisfaction that you have no scar twice, that you have learnt.

Indeed, at the end, may you look at your scars and not only remember the pain and suffering, but the beauty that came with it, for there is beauty in every moment no matter how terrible it may seem. May you remember what the world looked like from above when you stood atop that immeasurably high mountain. May you remember the glint of the dragon’s scales in the dim light as it taunted you in its lair. May you remember how beautiful the landscape looked when it was covered in snow even though you were struggling through it. These are the memories that matter.

Finally the time will come when there will be no more mountains ahead of you, no more flowers and no more dragons. The time for your path to end. Forests and fields will fade and ahead will be only darkness. A darkness that sets fear into each and every heart that sees it, yet so often we forget that there is more to the darkness than it seems.

Tears may come, but why cry? You have memories richer and more colourful than oil paintings. You have seen sights more beautiful than a thousand sunsets.

And while you need strong feet, tough skin, keen eyes and a soft heart to stay on the path, it takes a brave man to walk and keep walking.

After all, death is a path in itself.
 

© 2008 Annique le Roux


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very beautiful and inspirational piece.
You definitely are one of my favourite writers.
I still consider your poem A PLACE I CANNOT REACH one of my favourite poems here on Writers Café.

Posted 6 Years Ago


WOW, yes, i started the previous review with wow as well. but wow Annique. i know what it feels like to get reviews which resemble speechlessness--------------------------------------------- like that. but i am speechless!
that was amazing. cant wait to read your others. xxx

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a very wonderful and philosophical piece. It is very beautifully written and takes a very positive view on life, no matter what should occur. It was such a nice and easy read and very insperational. I like the beautiful way you tell that life can be good in all its aspects.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 30, 2008
Last Updated on June 30, 2008

Author

Annique le Roux
Annique le Roux

Pretoria, South Africa



About
I am a proudly South African girl, currently 18. I've been reading since I learnt how and fell absolutely insanely and crazily in love with writing at the age of 13. My ultimate goal is to write a nov.. more..

Writing