Prisoners of War (Part 2)

Prisoners of War (Part 2)

A Story by Annique le Roux
"

The second part to the short story that I'm writing, set in World War 1.

"

One day, while searching for old clothes in her cupboard, Heidi saw, near the back, a flash of white. Parting the clothing around it, she removed, with trembling hands, her wedding dress. Crossing slowly to the bed, she sat down, her eyes still fixed upon the smooth white material in her hands. She ran them carefully over the lace that covered bodice and her mind flashed back to the day.

 

The wind brushed lightly against her cheek, gently moving the curls that cascaded down her back. She kept her eyes full upon his face, trying to fix the expression he wore in her mind forever. He seemed oblivious to the people around him. Not the touch of the wind nor the music seemed to have any effect. His mouth was curved into a smile, not a smile of triumph nor a smile betraying the joy he felt in his heart, but smile that reflected the feeling in the deepest pools of his conscious. It was a smile that showed love beyond apt description by words alone, yet, while it showed more than seemed possible, it showed so little. There was something else that she alone could see for their full splendour. His eyes. For dancing upon their shimmering depths was an even deeper feeling, if it were possible. Love would not do it justice for this was so much more beautiful and powerful. It was a feeling that surpassed all boundaries of affection, reaching deeper than any dared, searching for the correct words to explain what he felt at that very moment.

 

Drawing back suddenly, Heidi fell out of her reverie and looked around, dazed. The memory of his face was so fresh in her mind that it danced before her eyes as they failed to show her what she was really seeing. Then, it shimmered and disappeared as her tears took its place. It was too much to bear, she wondered again how she had managed to forget everything, cursing Time for his cruel trickery. The world before her eyes vanished and the feeling of the soft silk on her hands was no longer there as the dress slid from her lap. Voicing aloud the pain she felt inside, she brought her shaking hands to her face and struggled to control her stomach as thick bile rose up in her throat. Her knees hit the floor with a dull thud as she lost the sensation in her limbs. It seemed, it seemed too hard…was it even humanly possible to survive that feeling that now caused her body to shake? It all hit her again, and again, and again…her form becoming more bowed over with each realisation of the same fact…he was gone.

 

She missed she sound of feet echoing in the hall outside, she missed the sound of her door creaking open. She missed everything, everything that might tell her that he was there until she felt herself enfolded in a strong embrace. Even this seemed far away and unreal, her convulsions continued and worsened that the embrace tightened and she heard someone whispering to her. Soft words without meaning, but soft none the less. It was a voice she knew but could not place. The words crept into her deepest thoughts lighting up the places that scared her beyond imagination. They seemed to scare Time and he slowly and unwillingly withdrew from her mind, taking, for the time being, her memories with him.

 

As the shocks coursing through her body lessened and she became more aware of what was around her, she felt herself being rocked slowly backwards and forwards. Her breathing slowed and became more measured as she allowed herself, for the first time, to fully listen to the words. They spoke of a hope that she couldn’t believe existed, of a place that contained no memories of pain or grief. Their quiet sounds brought even more tears to her eyes as she wept for what the words embodied. Happiness. She longed to feel a smile touch her lips once more and to be able to feel what the words brought to mind.

 

So she sat, allowing herself to forget her fears and listen to the words and trying, just trying to believe that what they spoke of might be true. The tears that ran down her face stemmed their flow somewhat and finally, she lifted her head to enquire after the speaker of hope. The soft brown eyes that met her gaze were those of William’s.

 

The shock that she expected did not hit her.

 

Neither spoke as their eyes remained locked. What passed between them in their silent conversation is something not easily understood. His spoke of his perception of her feelings and hers of a joy that she herself could not understand.

 

Still, no words passed between them as his hand moved slowly and deliberately to her face. Her expression remained unreadable as he grasped her gently behind her neck and pulled her closer. Their faces hovered, inches from one another for but a few seconds and then their lips touched.

 

It was a kiss filled with feelings beyond description. Passion danced between their tongues like electric impulses. The kiss was gentle yet fervent as feelings that had been ignored for months, finally came into consideration. Her tears fell between their lips and mingled with the dancing flames that were their tongues, adding a hint of sadness, a longing for that which was perhaps not justified. His hands moved over her back and her neck gradually, as though he were savouring every second.

 

Slowly they broke apart, their eyes met again, their faces covered in expressions each as inscrutable as the other. He rested his forehead against hers, breathing out slowly, still silent as he relived the kiss that had just taken place. His lips tingled with the memory of her touch and in his mouth lingered a sweet taste making him long for more.

 

She sat quietly, allowing herself to be enveloped in his reassuring embrace and listening to his steady breathing. Her mind was a confused rush of emotion, thoughts with no direction, serving only to add to her uncertainty. She felt the tears sliding down her face again, trying in vain to stop them from coming.

 

He lifted his face as he felt the moisture on his skin. With one hand, he titled her chin to gaze at her face, beautiful despite the tear tracks marked on her cheeks.

 

Some of the pain seemed to disappear as she saw the look in his eyes.

With his thumb, he gently wiped away her tears, his eyes never moving from hers. She opened her mouth to speak, when he placed his finger on it, shaking his head as though he were scared talking would ruin the feelings that were now exposed. Her eyes betrayed her confusion for but a second when his lips replaced his finger, and they were locked once more in an intimate embrace.

 

The kiss was more urgent this time, perhaps they feared it would not come again. Carefully, he lifted her off the ground, and held her against his body, his arms tightening about hers as their tongues danced. Moving to the bed one step at a time, he laid her down; making each movement last for seconds as Time itself seemed to come to a halt at last taking pity on its victims.

 

At long last, it ended. She found herself looking up at him as he stood over the bed, stroking the side of her face with the tips of his fingers. She saw him move towards her and felt as he placed a kiss softly on her brow. Moving away, he looked at her, his eyes betraying every ounce of his feelings. With what seemed like an enormous effort, he turned, crossed the room and left, closing the door slowly behind him.

© 2009 Annique le Roux


Author's Note

Annique le Roux
I absolutely loved writing this part but let me know if I got a bit carried away...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on August 13, 2009

Author

Annique le Roux
Annique le Roux

Pretoria, South Africa



About
I am a proudly South African girl, currently 18. I've been reading since I learnt how and fell absolutely insanely and crazily in love with writing at the age of 13. My ultimate goal is to write a nov.. more..

Writing