Fighting the Giants

Fighting the Giants

A Story by Annique le Roux
"

Flash Fiction.

"

It drowned out everything – the din of the coloured blurs flashing by; the voices and footsteps of the faceless, the nameless; the ever-present humming originating in no particular place, residing where there were thousands – all went unheard as the heavens sent forth their mighty load.

 

Movement was everywhere, from those racing to escape the surprise shower to windows and doors closing against the wet chill. Time seemed to be playing his tricks on her again, slowing everything. She moved unhurriedly against the oncoming waves of walkers, weaving in and out, numb to the rivulets of water running down her body. Towering around her were the giants she had so feared when she was younger, now they only served to remind her of her vulnerability and pain, her inadequacy.

 

Her mind was awash with emotions, each being replaced with another as a new, seemingly colder wave of water hit her. Her younger years, the happier times, seemed so short in comparison to the journey of darkness she was now on. The months that passed after it had happened softened the blow somewhat, but all seemed non-existent now as every feeling, possible and impossible, fought its way to the front of her mind. She remembered the touch of his work-worn, calloused hands as she gripped them while he lay motionless beside the road. Her twenty years barely seemed enough to help her as she fought to control her mounting panic. He had been her father for the mother she had never had.

 

She thought then of Nathan, how his love had carried her after the accident. Then she came to the most recent memory, the one of that day, when she had run away from him, into the rain, promising never to go back. She could not let her pain become his.

 

* * *

 

She stopped, realising that she had found her way back to his building. The walk up to his door seemed to take but an instant. Opening it without knocking, she saw him with his back to her, standing at large window overlooking the city. He turned as she approached him, she saw tear tracks. Stepping closer, he regarded her, his expression guarded.

 

And she fell into his arms, feeling his warm body bring life into her seemingly lifeless one. She finally accepted that he would be there, for everything and perhaps, in some small way, she had started accepting her father’s death.

 

Behind them the sky was painted with brilliance as the rising sun sent out its rays. The rain had stopped and Time had returned to its normal pace.

 

© 2009 Annique le Roux


Author's Note

Annique le Roux
It's very short and needs some improvement. Please be critical.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on August 13, 2009
Last Updated on August 18, 2009

Author

Annique le Roux
Annique le Roux

Pretoria, South Africa



About
I am a proudly South African girl, currently 18. I've been reading since I learnt how and fell absolutely insanely and crazily in love with writing at the age of 13. My ultimate goal is to write a nov.. more..

Writing