Gone and Back again

Gone and Back again

A Story by Joe Federico
"

A super soldier flashes forward 62 years. A rough draft of my novel

"

Joe Federico

November 30th, 1952

Matchiko woke up with her husband Bobby at her side. They lived in Southwick, Texas. Their house was a small shack with four rooms and a kitchen. The only thing good about the house is that it was sitting on a huge oil field. Matchiko rolled to the side of the mattress and started smoking a cigarette. Dee Nakomi came running into the bed room.

"Ready to start cooking bacon commander!” Dee said crawling into the bed. Matchiko looked at Dee and smiled politely.

“Rest easy private.” Matchiko said puffing smoke from her cigarette.

“Aye, aye sir.” Dee answered. Matchiko frowned. “Aye, Aye ma’m.” Dee corrected herself.

“Dee do you think you could let me get dressed? A commander needs to be in uniform am I right?” Matchiko said smiling.

“Yes Ma’m.” Dee answered before letting Matchiko get dressed

November 30th, 1952

Matchiko Nakomi was cooking a nice turkey. She was an immortal super soldier created for WWII, super strong and ageless. In other words the perfect fighting machine. Standing 5 foot 2 inches she was not an imposing physically. Her five year old daughter Dee pulled on Matchiko’s skirt.

“Mommy look what I did! I did my homework all by myself!” Dee exclaimed proudly.

“That’s great sweety. Mommy’s a little busy working on dinner. Where’s your younger sister Sarah?” Matchiko asked as she checked the meats temperature.

“In the living room.” Dee answered trying to hug her. Matchiko was too busy cooking to hug her back.

“What do you want?” Matchiko asked playfully. Dee smiled.

“Tan cowgirl boots. For christmas mommy.” Dee asked in her childish voice. Matchiko laughed a little remembering her own childhood. Matchiko’s own childhood was tougher than a barbed wire fence and colder than a winter’s night in Sibera. Matchiko had a mother who was a seer and, saw her importance in WWII. Dee watched as Matchiko put the turkey back in the oven.

“Can I help?” Dee asked looking down at the ground.

“You can help me by making sure your sister is okay.” Matchiko asked as she started washing dishes. Dee squirmed a little.

“Okay.” Dee said defeated. Like a little child she scurried away to her sister. Matchiko smiled a little. She thought of her own mother, Matchiko remembered getting slapped by her own mother over a similar topic. Matchiko focused her energy on scrubbing a dish. She looked at her reflection in the dish. It reminded her of her mother, Matchiko snapped the dish in half. Her husband Bobby entered the kitchen.

“Aren’t you a little hard on Dee?” Bobby asked as he grabbed some milk. The door opening let an icy air into the otherwise warm house.

“She’s just so clinging. I fear that the kids in kindergarden will make fun of her. She needs to quit leaning on me.” Matchiko said as she cleaned up the broken plate.

“Look she’ll get over it. She’s a good kid.” Bobby said as he took a swig of milk. Matchiko looked at Bobby. The two of them looked at each other.

“We are on two different wavelengths.” Matchiko said as she pulled out a cigarette and lit it.

“You should stop smoking.” Bobby suggested. “It makes you look less feminine.” Matchiko sighed angrily.

“You telling me that I’m not very feminine, makes you less of a man.” Matchiko spat back enraged. Bobby stood up.

“Not around the kids.” Bobby asked, Matchiko stood up.

“Why not around them? I heard my parents arguing as a child.” Matchiko said angrily. Bobby stood up too feeling threatened.

“Look it’s not very healthy.” Bobby said as Matchiko exhaled smoke. Bobby felt sweat coming down on his neck. Matchiko looked at her arm, her mother’s ashtray. 

“Yeah, I guess so.” Matchiko said rubbing her arms. Unbeknowenst to Bobby and Matchiko Dee heard their whole argument and slithered away sobbing silently. She sulked into her room and began crying.

“Mommy doesn’t love me.” Dee said angrily.


December 4th 1952

Matchiko was traveling over the arctic with four other members of the United States Army. Greg the pilot noticed something serious.“Our fuel gage is fucked up the needle is going up and down.” Greg said. Kirkland, Scotty and Barry were trying to work the radio.

“She’s dead sir.” Scotty said angrily as the plane began to dive.

“Captain’s log number 4, to whom it may concern. My name is Kirkland Tamn I bequeath all my possessions to my landlord who I owe shitload of money too.” Kirkland wrote. A white light shone outside the plane. Then the plane disappeared.


December 5th 2013

Air Canada Control Tower

Control Log


Control: You are operating an unauthorized aircraft over Canadien air space.

Pilot: What the hell? I thought we were over the arctic?

Control: Do you have a GPS?

Pilot: No

Control: Identify yourself.

Pilot: US Army flight 9875489.


US Army headquarters Super Natural Division Tuscon, Arizona


Super Natural Agent and vampire Molly Plissken was sitting at a table surrounded by generals.

“Flight 9875489 was a recon flight over the arctic. It disappeared over the arctic in 1952.” General Steven Sauer said as he looked at the device projecting images on the screen. It was a cube projector, it had four movable legs an onboard computer assisted memory. It also had an Artificial Intelligence for show. It was invented by Molly in less than 2 days. 

“Sauer, just cut the s**t. You want to tell us the truth?” Molly asked as she put her boots on the table.

“Fine your agency will pick them up. Is that what you want to hear?” Sauer answered angrily.

“Yes. We preserve people-“

“You mean creatures Molly.” Sauer interrupted as the other generals laughed

“People who have special abilities.” Molly interrupted as she lit a cigar. Its stench offended everyone else in the room. 

“Matchiko Nakomi is an army experiment.” Sauer said as Molly blew smoke rings.

“You declared her dead in 1978. This is where we take over, plus her profiles indicates that she might possibly return to you guys anyways.” Molly said as the projector flashed Matchiko’s psych profile. up to the screen. 

“Have you ‘people’ notified the Nakomis of the fact that their mother is back.” Sauer asked as they left the room. Molly sighed she hated calling people on a cell phone. It was just so…Primitive. Outside of the room. Molly pulled out her cell phone she invented. She dialed up a phone number on a phone she had designed. Molly hated how she sold off her inventions and designs it made her feel weak.


A cell phone rang on an all wood desk. The house was decorated in all sorts of abstract and, weird artworks. An old woman wearing a shirt made of all natural fibers and flip flops.

“Who is this?” She asked.

“Hey, Sarah. This is Molly Plissken. You remember me right?”

“Molly how’s my main vampire doing?” Sarah asked excitedly. Images of Matchiko in an army hospital flooded Sarah’s mind.

“Good. We’ve got your mot-“

“Yeah I know I just had a vision.” Sarah answered as she started to get emotional. “Is she okay? Does she remember me? Does she remember Dee? When can I see her?” Sarah stammered crying.

“We need your DNA to be sure but, her fingerprints are the same.” Molly said as Sarah continued crying.

“Thank You god!” Sarah exclaimed. Molly laughed a little she had expected hate and anger.

“When do you want to come in for the DNA test? A week from now?” Molly suggested.

“Screw that. How about tomorrow?” Sarah asked excited beyond belief. Molly put a cigar in her mouth.

“Sure whatever.” 

© 2014 Joe Federico


Author's Note

Joe Federico
Rough draft of my novel

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on March 25, 2014
Last Updated on March 25, 2014
Tags: Immortal, Eternal, 1950's supernatural

Author

Joe Federico
Joe Federico

East Hartford, CT



About
I love deep and complex stories that engage the reader in a thought provoking way. Through genres that are traditionally brainless more..

Writing