The Last of His Kind - Prologue (V2 working title)

The Last of His Kind - Prologue (V2 working title)

A Story by NuclearBunnie
"

centuries after humanity's self inflicted destruction, one man wake from stasis to find he may be alone on the new Earth.

"

Prologue

 

 

Early in the 21st century, a secret group saw the self-destructive path humanity was on. With the constant threat of nuclear war, biological and chemical weapons,  genetic testing on damn near everything, and oil reserves running low, it was only a matter of time before humanity destroyed the world. The major countries in the world refused to disarm and destroy their nuclear arsenal. Rumors circulated that inset of destroying their nuclear weapons capabilities; Russia, France and the United States in fact increased the number of nuclear munitions they had.


Even though the United Nations banned the testing and developing of biological and chemical weapons, most countries still developed them. The US going so far as to develop some fort of virus that would mutate those infected and made them highly aggressive and stronger and tougher than most humans. It was always unknown weather this was to be used on its own soldiers in an attempt to create some sort of supper soldier program, or if it was meant to be used on a hostile country to turn its citizens against it.


Out of all these threats, none was as terrifying as the reports that petroleum reserves around the world where starting to run out. The crude oil being pumped out of the earth was becoming more and more difficult to reach. This raised the prices of oil to outlandish heights. To the point where countries that relied on oil started to use what they had in reserve to compensate. It would only be a matter of time before war broke out, just so that the victors could get their hands on a few barrels of oil.

All of this was made worse by the fact that no one would head the warnings about humans polluting the world around us. They continued to destroy our vital forest in an effort to meet the never-ending demand for lumber. For every forest we destroyed, we put up a new city in its place. A spawning ground for toxins for the rest of the world, and a new place for the human population to expand and coke out the rest of the life on earth. It wouldn’t take long before the concept of a forest was gone. Before the beautiful animals we shared our earth with will be driven extinct by our hands. Before we would truly be alone in this giant universe of ours, wondering why no one had warned us of our actions.


They tried to everything they could to advert the course, to no avail. The only thing they could think of to save humanity was to preserve as much life as they could, until the danger had passed.  They selected a group of volunteers from every field imaginable and put them into a state of suspended animation. The process was risky, most wouldn’t make it, but those who did would be able to restart the human population. Across the world several secret facilities where made, each one containing the DNA sequences and frozen embryos of life from the area. This also enclosed seeds of plant life and eggs from insects frozen for preservation.


Once the volunteers where put into their deep sleep, the organization would stay and continue to try to help them. They would develop tools to help the groups survive once they woke up for as long as they could. Once everything was done that could be done, the vaults with the survivors in them would be sealed. The impressive doors could then only be opened from the inside once the system had detected it was safe for human life outside again, and would wake the people inside from their deep sleep. 

© 2015 NuclearBunnie


Author's Note

NuclearBunnie
This is only the prologue, you can find chapter one here.

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/NuclearBunnie/1537423/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like this. It sets the scene well and established the story. If there is an improvement, it's that it would be better told by an actual person.Right now, it reads a little like a history book. If this is meant to told by your protagonist, then make that clearer. That way, you can put in emotion and character into it.

Still, I'm looking forward to reading your first chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this. It sets the scene well and established the story. If there is an improvement, it's that it would be better told by an actual person.Right now, it reads a little like a history book. If this is meant to told by your protagonist, then make that clearer. That way, you can put in emotion and character into it.

Still, I'm looking forward to reading your first chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 15, 2015
Last Updated on May 17, 2015
Tags: Science Fiction, apocalypse, power armor, soldier, military, survivor, adventure, scfi-fi, future