Exodus

Exodus

A Story by Nyde Jenkins
"

Two women navigate being supernaturally contained in their house over a period of years.

"

Carmen had never categorized whistling as tuneless before- how could musical notes not form some kind of tune? But as the disconnected strands of Vi’s whistling tumbled through the house, she couldn’t find a single melody or guiding key to them.
The house lights were off, but the streetlight outside was enough for Carmen to blunder her way to the kitchen. Linoleum tacky under her feet, she stopped beside the island; the hanging lights over it were dimmed. Both cats followed in her wake, interested in this unusual midnight adventure. Bleary eyes took in the spatulas and spoons scattered around the counters, a thin veneer of sugar dusting every surface within five feet of her housemate. Vi looked up at her, hazel eyes feverishly bright as she grinned in triumph and tilted a pot on the stove towards Carmen so she could see the brown liquid bubbling inside.

“I’m making caramel! This is the second batch, there’s some cooling already.”

After failing to suppress a yawn, Carmen shuffled around the island and made her way to the fridge. Opening it and staring without really looking at its contents, she asked, “Feeling better today?” Unsure what she was even looking for, she closed the fridge. She moved forward to bump a shoulder affectionately against Vi and peer down at the caramel.

“Yeah, I think those air purifiers we got sent really help. Hardly any pain tonight.”

“What did we promise for those again? An interview?”

Vi nodded, red hair nearly brown in the relative darkness of the room. “Yeah, but just a text one. No awkward sitting just beside the door, thankfully.” She extended a hand and ruffled it through Carmen’s short, dark hair. “We need to do haircuts again soon, you’re getting all fluffy. Also, you should go back to bed.”

“You should too, ya hypocrite.” Carmen could hear the smile in her own voice. 

“I will, I just wanna finish this batch. Wanted to do something, while I was feeling better.” Vi picked up a spoon to stir again, and gave Carmen a gentle shove to get her moving toward the living room. “Goodnight Carm.”

“‘Night Vi,” Carmen said. She walked through the living room, then stopped and walked back to the sliding glass door. Vi looked up at the sound of it sliding open, quickly looking back down at her caramel. Knowing the result but needing to try anyways, Carmen moved her hand slowly toward the gap, cold fall wind brushing her fingers. Abruptly, she encountered a smooth, hard surface, invisible to the eye and right in the doorway. She kept her hand there a moment, then withdrew it, sighed, and shut the door. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They weren’t the only people this had happened to, but they were (as far as research had indicated) the first, and that entailed a certain degree of interest. Carmen still woke dry-mouthed from dreams of the first day, when she’d tried to leave for work and discovered that she couldn’t get outside. She and Vi had frantically tried doors and windows before giving up and calling the police. After some experimentation they found that objects could pass back and forth just fine, but people couldn’t get in. And they couldn’t get out.

After a few days news crews and scientists had appeared. When food started being an issue a few celebrities pledged their support and ensured the household would get regular deliveries of supplies and removal of trash. Once the scientists found out about Vi’s autoimmune and allergy issues they’d rushed to provide medicine and advice- as much as could be provided when they themselves couldn’t examine the patient. Far more care than Vi had ever been able to afford before. Vi’s estranged family had been dug up for interviews, and Carmen’s tearful reunion with her mother and sister was (to her eternal displeasure) one of the most viewed online videos ever posted. It had been nearly a year since that first day, and things had calmed down since then. 

Waking up late after the previous night’s excitement, Carmen glared at the sunlight pouring in through her broken blinds (the cats seemed to have a particular vendetta against them) and rolled unceremoniously to her feet. Throwing on a t-shirt and some jeans, she could already hear the TV going out in the living room. Somehow Vi was both a night owl and an early bird; avian perfection. Carmen was neither, and she grumbled at the sound, light, and list of chores running through her head as she exited her room. 

They had to take the air conditioner out of the window- had needed to since September, but with inconvenient things like this it always waited until it couldn’t any longer. That could happen later though; first, she shuffled past Vi’s ensconced position within her blue duvet on the couch and started coffee going. The ground crunched a little underfoot, but at least Vi had clearly wiped down the counters before heading to bed. Carmen meandered over to the sink and washed a few pieces of silverware by hand, waiting on her coffee. Blaring from the TV was a home makeover show, which meant a bad pain day; Vi only indulged in the vicarious judgment of others’ poor taste when she really needed a distraction.

After downing a cup of coffee and bringing Vi one- heaped with sugar, no cream- Carmen went from room to room picking things up, sweeping, and generally delaying on the air conditioner as long as possible. One of the cats, Bob (an acronym of Big Orange Boy) stayed curled on top of Vi, while his more energetic sister Peaches gamboled from room to room alongside Carmen. 

Finally, when the rest of the house was relatively tidy and several hours had passed, Carmen moved to the air conditioner and started figuring out exactly how best to remove it. There was a ring of duct tape around the edges, meant to keep it secured to the window. The precarity of moving the AC unit was that half of it hung outside. They could have waited for some visitor or newscaster to show up and conscripted their help, but Carmen didn’t want to wait any longer. Besides, it was always awkward making requests of people outside, even as eager as they were to help.

“Oh, are we doing that today?” Vi asked tiredly, dislodging Bob from her lap.

Nodding, Carmen shooed the cats out from their curious positions in front of the window, and went to work prying duct tape from the edges of the unit. “It got down near forty last night, I figure we should.” She opened the window slightly and cold rushed in through the small gap.

A big piece ripped off all at once from the bottom and Vi hissed under her breath as Carmen rushed to stabilize the AC unit. “Care to help then?” Carmen’s voice was as tight as her grip on the side of the unit. 

“Yeah, alright,” Vi said, quieter than expected. Glancing at her, she looked ashen-faced to Carmen. Her hands trembled.

“If you’re not feeling up to it-”

“No! No, I’m- I’m fine.” She stepped up to the other side. “Let’s get this done.” Vi got a grip on the air conditioner, brilliant hair framing her wan face. “On three?”

“One. Two. Three- No! You have to lift this way!”

“It’s falling-” Vi’s voice, shrill with worry.

“I got it-”

The unit crashed out of the window and cracked open on the muddy earth below- and Carmen’s hand, carried by momentum, stuck out of the window. Both women stared in shock at the limb, a spear of sunlight running across brown skin. Carmen mutely retracted it, then slowly moved forward again.

She encountered no resistance, and once again her hand stuck outside. Tears prickling up in joy, she gestured for Vi to try too. Vi did- and her hand ran into a barrier right at the window frame. Vi stared at the six inches of difference between their hands, and she started crying too. 

Carmen swept her up into a hug, whispering, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry honey.” She was sorry, but she wasn’t sure exactly what for. 

They stood still for a while, until both had stopped crying. Vi stepped back and indicated the door with a flourish.

“Well?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The scientists and reporters went absolutely nuts over this sudden change, and for a few days their house was surrounded by news vans and mobile labs. Carmen’s blood was taken repeatedly, hair analyzed; she underwent an ultrasound, a portable x-ray machine, every test they could think to administer. No one else could go in or out of the house; just her. She had interview after interview, everyone hopeful that that this might be a prelude to other impermeable houses allowing their inhabitants out. Carmen’s family scheduled a visit for the following week; her mom had wept ecstatically over the phone upon hearing the news.

Finally Carmen declared that she would be taking a break, and would appreciate some privacy as she adjusted to this change. She retreated inside for the day, and with a sudden rainstorm coinciding her decision most folks decided to listen to her request. Blinds pulled down over all the windows took care of the remainder.

Vi had been even more reclusive than usual the past few days, only coming out of her room for food, and for the Times interview when Carmen insisted she be present too. After several hours of vacuuming, cleaning, loudly narrating to the cats, and banging pots together none-too-accidentally as she made pozole from scratch, she realized Vi wasn’t going to be drawn out of her room. Doling two servings of the stew into a bowl, she tentatively approached Vi’s door of peeling blue paint and knocked twice with her knee.

“I made pozole!” Carmen cringed at how saccharine she sounded, but couldn’t exactly redo the statement. She heard a halfhearted, “Great,” from inside and took that as a sign to enter.

Her stomach dropped as soon as she saw how spotless the room was. Vi only cleaned when she was either very happy or very upset, and Carmen had an inkling that it wasn’t the former. A set of seven clear quartz horses, perfectly aligned, were the only thing on top of her dark wood dresser besides a lamp that seemed to have been recently attacked with a feather duster. Curled up against cushions in the center of her bed, Vi tossed her phone down beside her upon Carmen’s entry.

“Soup, huh.” Sensing something dangerous in Vi’s tone, Carmen stepped wordlessly forward and handed off a bowl before perching on the side of the bed. They both ate quietly for a while, Carmen sneaking Bob and Peaches scraps of pork. Peaceful drizzling sounds from the rain contrasted with the tension building in the room. 

“So,” Vi said with a nonchalance that made Carmen start, “when are you planning on leaving?”

Carmen turned suddenly and nearly spilled her remaining food on the bed. “Sorry, what?”

Setting her bowl to the side, Vi hugged her arms around herself. “I asked when you’d be leaving? It seems like a fair enough question.”

“I- are you kicking me out?” 

Blinking furiously, Vi said, “Well I assumed that now that you’re able to leave you’d want to get away, in case the wall decides to come back for you or something. Or just because a year stuck anywhere is enough to drive you someplace else.”

“I’m fine here, though.”

“What do you mean, you’re fine here? It- y’know what, it’s fine.” Vi was getting angry, pink flushing her cheeks, and Carmen couldn’t figure out why and was having a difficult time not responding in kind. “Take your time, just give me some warning when you decide to go.”

Stumbling over her words, Carmen stuttered out, “But- but why would I leave if I don’t want to?”

“How can you not want to?! I’m stuck here, I’m a curiosity,” Vi snarled, tangled red curls peeking out from her cocoon of blankets. “And until recently you were too. If this wacky f*****g house hadn’t decided to trap us, or aliens, or God, or whoever, I would probably be dead. But because that happened, I’m alive, and everyone gets to pity me and throw healthcare my way. As if I deserve that any more now than I did then.” Her voice changed to a sing-song now. “And in return I’m on display, I’m always available for interviews, I’m just the nicest girl in the world because if I’m not- I go into anaphylaxis.  Or starve to death. How could you not want to escape that, if you could?”

Carmen stumbled over her words, emotions in freefall. “So it’s like winning the lottery then! It’s not that we deserved this, and it’s got its drawbacks, but we’re here now and-”

“This is not the lottery! This is hell! I’m stuck here with you and I can’t…” Vi trailed off, face stricken as she realized what she’d said. She stumbled on, frustrated tears dragged up unbidden. “I can’t leave. And I can’t figure out why you don’t.”

Avoiding Vi’s eyes now, Carmen dug her nails into her palm. “We used to- I’m- I don’t-” She stared down at her lap, voice compressed into needle sharpness when she finally said, “This is my heaven, Vi. Why would I leave?

Carmen could feel Vi’s uncomprehending gaze prickling on her skin, the self-hatred of an unasked-for admission burning her throat. She moved to get up, and Vi’s hand shot out to hold her arm. Shrugging her off, Carmen walked to the door. Her jaw worked for a few moments before she said, “I’m gonna go for a drive.”

She walked out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carmen drove up the driveway, gravel crunching under her tires. The porchlight cast a yellow glow over everything. It was dusk, stars just starting to peek out overhead.

She parked, got out, walked up to the front door. Vi was standing just inside, cats twining around her feet, all clearly summoned by the sound of a car pulling up. Cheeks and forehead blotchy, Vi looked like she’d been torn apart and put herself back together in the span Carmen had been gone.

After a moment of mute staring she turned her back to Carmen, leaning against the invisible wall and sliding to the ground. Her blouse, rucked up slightly by the descent, showed off a few knobs of spindly vertebrae. Carmen swallowed. She turned and lowered herself down before leaning back gently to rest her shoulders against Vi’s. They’d sat like this often in high school, using each other as backrests at band events or while waiting on the pavement for their perennially late buses to bring them back to their disparate houses.

For a few minutes neither woman said anything. Carmen stared out at the surrounding forest, red and gold leaves beginning to drop and reveal branches again. She could see down the long driveway to her left. It was a view she hadn’t had since she’d last been able to leave a year prior. A brisk wind blew past, and Carmen would have shivered if not for the warmth at her back.

“I wasn’t sure if you would come back.” Vi’s tremulous voice broke the silence. Carmen could feel her take a long breath, then another. In and out.

“I wasn’t sure if I would either, at first.” Carmen leaned her head back too, tendrils of Vi’s hair fluttering against her neck. “I drove and drove, zigzagged through just about every town nearby I used to visit. Talked to strangers- an older man handed me change and I nearly had a meltdown on the spot, just the brush of unfamiliar contact felt so strange after a year. I ordered a burger- brought you one back too, it’s in the car.”

“Get to the point Carm.” Her voice wasn’t unkind, but it brooked no argument.

Carmen went silent, considering her options for what to say next. The pressure of each discarded idea stacked on top of the next built and built, until finally after three minutes of silence she blurted out, “I think I’m in love with you.”

No response. 

Anxious and scrabbling for what to say next, she forged on. “And even if I wasn’t I wouldn’t abandon you here to be alone, you know that, right? I would only leave if you asked me to. I wouldn’t- I’m here as long as you’ll have me.”

No response.

Gut clenching, Carmen finally leaned to the side and turned to look at Vi. With almost imperceptible pressure she rested a hand on Vi’s face and moved it into view.  Vi’s expression was unreadable, tears slipping down her cheeks. Moving slowly, she shifted further into the doorway and tilted forward until her forehead rested against Vi’s. They stayed still like that for a long time, eyes locked.

Finally, Vi whispered, “So you’re really not going to leave?”

Barely shifting, Carmen shook her head. 

Letting out a single sob, tears still flowing, Vi pressed forward to kiss Carmen once, again, again. Carmen hugged her as she spread kisses over Carmen’s face; brushing delicately over her eyes, her cheeks, the tip of her nose, before pressing one last bruising kiss to her lips. Eyes shimmering, she leaned back slightly. “I think I love you too.”

Carmen was crying as well by now, smile brilliant as the sun.

“Also, I would like to go somewhere where there definitely aren’t cameras before we keep kissing.”

Laughing, delighted, Carmen got to her feet and helped Vi to her feet, before swooping her up and into her arms. “That can be arranged.”


© 2020 Nyde Jenkins


Author's Note

Nyde Jenkins
Based on other critiques, I want to rewrite this where the characters are already dating or married, and the consent issues can be explored more deeply without having the establish the relationship- or tell me if that's a bad idea I guess. Suggestions on edits to get this up to snuff for publication would be appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

here is what I like to do to get something ready for submission: once I flesh out my story and I am happy with how it's dressed. I record any parts that do not flow with ease. You would be surprised how much this helps. Reading your work out loud is good, however, recording it to play back is a true gift. I may read the words out loud and be satisfied, but some kind of magic happens when you hit record, and bam! Any imperfections (poor timing, awkward phrases) screams 'edit me.' It's funny (but true) whenever I go to record something I pickup on any unnatural flowing word combos.

I think you have an interesting story, that needs a little love here and there, as far as where to start the story I think you have to decide where the best advantage point is for the reader to walk in on.

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Nyde Jenkins

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I haven't tried that for editing before, I'll give it a whirl tonight. Especially.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I but a recorder on my phone.
You will love it.
When we read in our heads we(I) miss t.. read more



Reviews

here is what I like to do to get something ready for submission: once I flesh out my story and I am happy with how it's dressed. I record any parts that do not flow with ease. You would be surprised how much this helps. Reading your work out loud is good, however, recording it to play back is a true gift. I may read the words out loud and be satisfied, but some kind of magic happens when you hit record, and bam! Any imperfections (poor timing, awkward phrases) screams 'edit me.' It's funny (but true) whenever I go to record something I pickup on any unnatural flowing word combos.

I think you have an interesting story, that needs a little love here and there, as far as where to start the story I think you have to decide where the best advantage point is for the reader to walk in on.

Posted 4 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Nyde Jenkins

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I haven't tried that for editing before, I'll give it a whirl tonight. Especially.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

4 Years Ago

I but a recorder on my phone.
You will love it.
When we read in our heads we(I) miss t.. read more
You are going to hate me, I’m afraid, because what I’m about to say isn’t something you were hoping to hear, and you've worked hard on this. But since it relates to your degree choice, and the effect it has on writing fiction. I thought you would want to know—especially since that relates to the probability of the work selling.

I’m sure, as part of your degree program you took creative writing, and probably literature courses. And having graduated, you now have about sixteen years of study in the art of writing. My question is, did any of that relate to the act of writing fiction as an acquiring editor or customer in the bookstore views it? I ask because all the reader you did no more teaches us to write then eating teaches us to cook.

Some terms for things you should be using automatically as you shape your scenes toward the climax: The inciting incident; scene and sequel; short-term scene-goal; black moment; conflict as it relates to every scene; motivation/response units. If you’re taking them all into account you’re fine there. But if more than one of them made you stop and think about what it means…

Now take these questions into account: Did any of your teachers explain why a scene ends in disaster for the protagonist on the page—and why it should? Did they explain why there are such significant differences between the elements of a scene on stage and screen and on the page, and what those elements are? Did your teachers cover viewpoint, how it differs from POV as defined by personal pronoun usage, and how motivation/response units relate to that?

Those are a few of the things you should be taking into account as you write. If, for example, we don't know what the elements of a scene are, and how to manage them, can we write one an acquiring editor will smile on?

I’m making an assumption—based on the writing in this post—that your education, so far as writing fiction may have missed a few of the points I mentioned as being necessary.

The thing that hit me at once is that you are writing very well, and using the techniques your teachers began “drumming into your head” beginning in the first grade. And that, the drumming, is the problem. Throughout your school days the writing assignments you were given focused, primarily, on essay and report writing skills, which are pretty well useless for fiction. They’re fact-based and author-centric, which describes the presentation methodology used in the story. It also happens to be the approach used for most classic literature. Its goal of the techniques is to inform the reader, clearly and concisely. It provides an informational experience, as the narrator explains the facts and happenings. When used for fiction it’s a “Let me tell you a story,” approach. That fit in the nineteenth century reader, where often, the primary entertainment in the house was to read the story to the family. In general, while dialog was used, extended conversations were not presented nearly as often as today. But when film appeared and took the audience literally into the scene as a participant, something the printed word couldn't do with the tell me a story approach. So, readership dropped, which drive writers to entice the reader by taking them to the one place film couldn’t, into the head of the protagonist. The Motivation/Response Unit approach, used well, can make the action seem to be taking place in real-time as we read, and make the story seem so real that if the protagonist falls and skins their knee the reader shouts “Ouch!”

For an idea of how a close viewpoint helps the reader know the scene as the protagonist does, this article might clarify.
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/the-grumpy-writing-coach-8/

Another thing that hit me is that you’re thinking cinematically as you write, visualizing the scene and presenting what you see happening on the screen. But that can’t work. A great deal of what you describe would be noted by the viewing audience in parallel with the plot-related action. So everything you note in the opening section might take a minute or two to watch. But on the page it takes 446 words, with each thing you mention spelled out one at a time over two full standard manuscript pages. That means to get two minutes of film action the reader must plow through ten minutes of reading. And what happens in those ten minutes? Carmen comes into a messy kitchen, learns that Vi is making caramels, and that some unknown “air purifiers” reduced an unknown level of pain from an unknown source, by an unknown amount. Then she goes to bed.

Ten minutes and that’s it? As the great Ernest Hemingway observed: “Never confuse movement with action.” And to that I’ll add some wise words by E. L. Doctorow: “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader, not the fact that it’s raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.”

You worked hard on this, and it shows. And you’ve put a lot of yourself, emotionally intro the writing, as we all do. So this hurts. I know because I’ve been there. But none of it is a matter of your talent or potential as a writer. It’s that like everyone else, you thought the common word between the skill called “writing,” and the profession of Fiction-Writing seems to imply a close connection.

But the goal of fiction is to provide an emotional, not an informational experience. So its techniques are emotion-based and character-centric, a methodology not even mentioned prior to your study for a degree. And if you’re like most English and literature grads I’ve met, it’s an approach that wasn’t mentioned as existing there, either. To show how different what the reader gets is from what you intend, look at the opening as an acquiring editor would:

• Carmen had never categorized whistling as tuneless before- how could musical notes not form some kind of tune?

Who’s Carmen? Where are we in time and space? And what’s going on? Lacking that, the reader has no context to make it meaningful. You told them, in effect, that someone they know nothing about always thought whistling was musical, But now, for no apparent reason, has changed that view, and is asking the reader why.

Certainly that’s not what you intended the reader to get. But given that the reader has only what the words suggest to them, based on THEIR background, can they see it otherwise? You, knowing the things I mentioned, and having an intent for how the words are to be taken, hear them exactly as intended. And because you do, it works and you never see the problem. For you the narrator’s voice is filled with emotion as you read. But can the reader know how they’re supposed to read the words, given that they don’t have performance notes, and won’t know what a given line says till AFTER they read it? And look at line two. As a reader, why do I care that someone I don’t know, in an unknown place is whistling tunelessly for unknown reasons?

So…you have the desire. You have the story. You have the necessary perseverance. But though no fault of your own, you’re missing some critical writing tricks—tricks you’re as capable of learning as any one else.

The solution? Simplicity itself. Add the techniques of fiction, practice them till you can use them effortlessly, and there you are.

Of course simple and easy aren’t interchangeable words, so there is a fair bit of study, practice, and frustration involved as you try to convince the writing reflexes you presently own to stand aside while you try to write in a way that those reflexes are certain are WRONG. And I can promise you that they will, without your noticing, “fix the writing to make it “right,” until you practice the techniques enough to make them yours.

But once you do, the act of writing becomes a LOT more fun. First, the protagonist becomes your co-writer, and whispers advice in your ear. Try to make the protagonist you've shown as smart turn dumb when you need them to miss something and you’re going to get a stern, “Hell no, I won’t do that. I’m not that dumb.” And till you’ve had one of your characters tell you that, they’re not real to either you or the reader.

So how do you upgrade your skills? First, for a better idea of the number and importance of the various issues you need to dig into, I’m immodest enough to suggest the articles in my writing blog. But for the skills and knowledge you need, pick up a copy of Dwight Swain’s, Techniques of the Selling Writer. It’s an older book, but I’ve not found any other close to as good at imparting the nuts-and-bolts issues. Swain won’t make a pro of you. That’s your job. But he will give you both the tools and the knowledge needed to get there if it’s in you. And can we ask more?

After all, we can’t use the tool we don’t know exists. Nor can we fix the problem we don’t view as being one. So dig in. Writing is a journey, not a destination. So if you write just a little better every day, and live long enough…

Hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Nyde Jenkins

4 Years Ago

Oh my gd you really are this insufferable to everyone. I can't believe you're like this in every rev.. read more
JayG

4 Years Ago

• Oh my gd you really are this insufferable to everyone.

Had you looked at the comm.. read more
JayG

4 Years Ago

Done: Race you to next week, then:
https://www.writerscafe.org/writing/JayGreenstein/2160236/.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 20, 2020
Last Updated on January 20, 2020
Tags: romance, bisexual character, lesbian character, chronic illness

Author

Nyde Jenkins
Nyde Jenkins

Lebanon, TN



About
I'm a recently graduated English student who enjoys writing fantasy and sci-fi, usually with a focus on diversity and unique worldbuilding. I write some poetry but that's definitely still a work in pr.. more..

Writing