Dragon Rings

Dragon Rings

A Story by Dani Oak
"

This is a story I've got brewing in my mind and just want other's opinions.

"
The sun shone brightly through the thick, grey clouds that were scattered aimlessly across the cerulean sky. Tanned, weathered hands gently twisted a silver ring with an emerald inset around the right middle finger. Lean, yet scrawny arms stretched outwards, as a thick mop of dirty blonde hair shrouded the sea green eyes of this odd seventeen year old's face. His baggy black tee hung loosely over his slight frame, and his faded blue jeans were frayed at the bottom where his old white sneakers had worn down the extra material. Ben Grenwood looked up lazily, trying to find something to do atop  the old factory besides throw rocks at the old windows.
As he looked, he took in his surroundings. The hot, hard tar that outlined the roof, the gravel that made up the walking space, and a few old vents, but beyond that more brick walls with thin, green vines climbing their own way to the top, bit by bit, looking out over a few shorter, strong trees and a mess of white stone and brick buildings. Failing to find any cloud formations, he then turned his attention to the ring. It had turned up out of the blue, gleaming brilliantly on the sidewalk on the way up to the old building. It's many faucets revealed a brilliant gem with a dark, mysterious core. The silver accented it nicely, and it seemed to glow with resilience. As Ben's thoughts began to fade in to the depths of this peculiar gem, he was brought back to earth by the sound of three sets of footsteps stomping their way up a flight of concrete stairs. 
"It's about time you s**t-heads showed up!" Ben called out sarcastically as he rose to meet his old friends. His voice was filled with laughter with a dash of condescension. Luke, his best friend since elementary, was in his usual attire of gym shorts and a muscle shirt that he wore no matter what time of year it is (today was red and white), with some new flashy black and yellow shoe, accented by matching socks, clashing fiercely with his own curly red hair. Karen, Luke's girlfriend, had on a simple black tank top and black skinny jeans with black and hot pink shoes, her pale skin practically glowing in the afternoon rays of the sun to match her bleached hair with red highlights. And lastly, Neah, Ben's crush, stood just behind the two with her radiant smile, her raven hair cascading down her shoulders along her olive skin, accenting her deep, chestnut eyes. Her sunshine yellow tank top and purple over-shirt made her stand out like a flower, her khaki shorts matching perfectly with her colorful outfit. Her ruby lips matching her nail polish perfectly as the soft red of her sandals. 
"Well," retorted Luke mockingly, "If we did not have to wait for princess glows-a-lot to apply her eighteen bottle of sunblock, We could of gotten here half a damn hour ago!" He saw Karen move to hit his shoulder lovingly, but he quickly backed out, "Kidding! I was kidding, see?" Satisfied, she let her arm down. 
Karen looked around, waiting for the next person to speak. "So... anything on the menu for tonight's fun? It'll have to be local because I'm kinda broke." A murmur of agreement arose from the other three. "Oh! I Know! We could..." Her melodious voice trailed off as she caught sight of the ring, and produced three more from her purse, all identical in make, but with blatantly obvious differences such as the materials and the size.
At this point, not quite understanding the oddity of the rings, Neah piped up, suggesting in her sing-song voice that they each wear one, that it'd be pretty cool to wear them as a group. Before Ben or Karen could protest, they were each wearing one of tghe rings, which then seemed to give off an ara of power. The sky itself eemed to darken and the abyss that was the inner depths of the gemstones became replaced by a near-linding light that they could each see right to the core. Each ring held the eye of something, something they hadn't encountered before. It looked a bit like a cat eye, but fsr too large and intelligent. Dragon eyes, embedded within each of the rings, have awoken. 

© 2017 Dani Oak


Author's Note

Dani Oak
its thrown together and totally undetied but this is the basic skeleton of the beginning of a story I want to write. Thoughts?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on February 21, 2017
Last Updated on February 21, 2017
Tags: fantasy, magic, mythical

Author