House On The Hill

House On The Hill

A Story by AmantiusOfMiddleEarth
"

Enjoy!

"

During my hour, I recalled all the details of my old home in Georgia a couple years ago. My old home was a huge piece of property, with a driveway running down the middle. It was surrounded by trees, and actually had its own lake on one side. On the other was a hill sloping upwards with a large white house at the top. It was heaven on earth come to life there. Geese flew overhead in the morning, ducks and fish littered the lake, and every once in a while, if you were lucky enough to spot them, deer would walk through the yard. Oak trees old and tall spotted the yard. In one spot there was a garden that used to be well-tended but was now filled with wild vegetation. And then there was another tomato garden, by the two huge oaks that lumbered overhead of the driveway.

I thought about just how perfect my home was. My mom, myself, my great grandparents, and my grandfather all lived on the house on this hill. With it being sunny and a mild, sometimes hot, climate, the days were always fun-filled and perfect for anything. Thinking about it now is…an emotional rollercoaster. It’s weird to think that I might not actually ever see it again. I’m not sure how I’d react if I did. My grandfather and great-grandparents have passed, and it makes the little house and lake in Georgia a very special place for me. I mean not only was it where I spent a couple of years, it was a memory unto itself that holds a lot of what I love.

Once you were there, it was like there was nothing else in the world that mattered except for those living there and the things you’d get to do that day. If I were to go back there right now, and see what it is now I don’t know what I’d do. That little house on the hill with a lake on one side was…no is the one place that I’d give up most of anything to see once again.

If there was one thing I would have done differently there, I would have probably cherished it more and saw it for what it really was. A home, a paradise, a place of love. If there’s one thing I learned after leaving there, it’s that the world should be cherished. It won’t always be here if we don’t take care of it. There’s places like this to people all over the world, and I don’t want those places to be wasted. In the words of Mary Jo Putney, “What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever.”

 

© 2016 AmantiusOfMiddleEarth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AUU
Very sentimental, and I'm sure it's going to get a lot of people thinking about a childhood object, place or memory.

I liked the ending quote. Rings true.

I enjoyed it's very casual nature. You kept the descriptions of the home very brief, letting my imagination fill in the rest.

Great job!


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AmantiusOfMiddleEarth

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review! :)



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AUU
Very sentimental, and I'm sure it's going to get a lot of people thinking about a childhood object, place or memory.

I liked the ending quote. Rings true.

I enjoyed it's very casual nature. You kept the descriptions of the home very brief, letting my imagination fill in the rest.

Great job!


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AmantiusOfMiddleEarth

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your review! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
1 Review
Added on October 3, 2016
Last Updated on October 3, 2016

Author

AmantiusOfMiddleEarth
AmantiusOfMiddleEarth

OR



About
Hi! I'm a writer, youtuber, and artist. Hope you enjoy my writing. Please feel free to leave comments and advice. more..

Writing