The other kind of truth

The other kind of truth

A Story by maxie-thena
"

There are still other people around us

"
Nothing spoke louder than actions. Sonia thought this as she stomped back across the hallway leading to the hospital's reception hall. She was going to give that scheming, half-brained, sore-hearted doctor a piece of her mind. She couldn't believe she let him talk to her in such an affronting manner simply because he felt she was in the wrong since her ways did not tally with his (wayward) principles. She has given what he said earlier a serious all-rounder thought, now it was time for him to hear what she was going to do about it all.

Weren't doctors bound with the same confidentiality clause as lawyers? He had promised her he wouldn't tell on her secrets, at least not without her consent. Isn't keeping one's word sacred anymore? How does he expect her to tell her fiancé that she was living her third and last life, without messing up her union with him. She needed some more time to work out the most understanding way possible. If Marshall falls out of love with her, she'd slowly slink into obscurity till she turned to an inconsequential mass form. Her 'kind' take joy seriously. They wouldn't deserve living multiple lives if they were remotely in despair.

Marshall's lifespan was 44. She knew this and a couple other things he hasn't yet known about himself. He has just less than 13 years to live. With her, he could have about 30 more, and it was imperative he stayed alive. She has given up so much for his Research to let it waste away by some unprepared inexperienced go getter that would get lucky to chance on the work piece after he must have died.

She had selected Marshall as her 3rd life partner way back when he was still just a kid. At that time, she was on the verge of her second death. She saw him on the playground where she had seen so many other kids, not that she was even searching for any. The playground was filled with life, which she had little of left, so she was invariably drawn towards it where she would get a glimmer of understanding as to why the kids felt bouncing and kicking were all there was to do all afternoon, leaving her spirit bubbled, and then tired, so a little after lunch time, she'd head back to her shelter home.

This she had been doing for three months, but two weeks before her death due date, something peculiar happened. She strolled to her cosy spot, the colored bench, made out of long horizontal metal pieces laid across each other with a space in between each piece, and safely hidden around a pink flower tree that, not so coincidentally, shaded her from the sun. After noisily making herself comfortable, some few minutes into her stay there, a particular nose-picking, chubby-faced, light-skinned African American boy caught her attention. Even if he was away from the other kids, he didn't seem to bother as he had his senses all over a little guinea pig a bigger kid left beneath the swing set. She always did see the bigger kids play with that odd animal. For about 20minutes the little boy stayed still staring at the creature as it stared blankly back at him, so she thought to go over and inquire his objective. He only said he wondered if the guinea pig knew it had just a few months to live. Guinea pigs have awful short life span.

It took years and years of hunting that insightful kid, bribing and seducing her way into his life, and steering him to the path he was at now, so close to unraveling and sanctioning her kind's nemesis, so close, and now Dr. Marley wants to do the unthinkable. Shut it down.

As she marched her way through the cold and sick stares of some of the patients in the lobby waiting their turns to get, who knows, injected with brain cells through their asses, she took the familiar turn that led to doctors' coffee station, not minding that it was hot as hell in there. Hot coffee on a hot afternoon was Dr. Marley's wayward style. As if in response to her spiteful thoughts, the most humiliating thing happened in a flash, what she had been dreading all day from reoccurring. Once bitten isn't always twice shy. Just like deja vu, a wheelchair from heaven (apparently) suddenly appeared on her path. It wouldn't have spooked her if she gave any thoughts to the flat wheely thingies hung on the left side of the wall a little at her eye level. Just like before, two buttons that looked like the control to an elevator was fixed close to this wall corner, so she hit a button and turned just immediately to the right to see what door the button led way to. Only it wasn't a door nor elevator button. That was when the wheelchair appeared on her path. The button unleashed its hold and they made towards her. Her efforts to miss it back turned as she couldn't lift her ankles off the slippery floor quick enough. The damn floor again. Her damn heels. The noise of the other chairs falling in suit got the doctors within earshot rushing out of the wards. Maybe they weren't on any emergency, life-threatening, death-approaching patients-whimpering operations.

How much humiliation can one face on the same day in the same place? There had to be a number of probable times. She heard the sound of her skirt slit tearing further up, and when she tried to stand, a sharp pain tore through her limb which made her wince in pain. And guess who was hovering over her with hands outstretched? Yours unTruly. It was not easy to delete his trolling bullshit and ignore him. So she did take his hand and when she got on her feet, she threw her fist right at his left jaw. And after he would get done scrubbing his face with his palm, she would let him see why he shouldn't let out her secret. It was her people's kryptonite.

© 2014 maxie-thena


Author's Note

maxie-thena
How was this?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a very interesting story about what I perceived as reincarnation, the intricacies of doctor/patient/family relations, childhood memories and the fragility of life.

Posted 9 Years Ago


It was a little funny. I'm not good in giving reviews about stories but here's what I think. People have their own choice of story and they mostly enjoy a story where they can relate. So I think write something which other people can relate to, I'm not saying that no one can relate to this story I even enjoyed this especially the female character. I'd refer your story to other writers who I think will be of much help :-) Thanks for sharing this ^_^!

Posted 9 Years Ago


maxie-thena

9 Years Ago

i do get what you mean. Wanted to play around another genre. Lol. Thanks for reading this.
Mirra

9 Years Ago

Your welcome :-)
Ahahahaha! xD
Sorry, she seems mean, so I thought it funny she got embarrassed and stuff.
What is she? O.o
And is there a part twooo? =o
I'm dying to know what happens.
Well done. ^^

Posted 9 Years Ago


maxie-thena

9 Years Ago

:* you make me smile with your words
Bluefire

9 Years Ago

Daaaw x3
Yay! I made somebody smile!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 2, 2014
Last Updated on May 2, 2014
Tags: being, sorcery, doctor, secret

Author

maxie-thena
maxie-thena

Africa



About
i don't really know much about sentence structure and all, but i love the strange feeling of connecting to people through something as simple as words on a page. more..

Writing