Run Champion, Run

Run Champion, Run

A Poem by Lloyd Frieson-Small
"

Another piece from my first chapbook. Actually, one of the most recent I have done.

"
Run Champion, Run


My life... All my life, I have been a witness to the testimony of the broken-hearted... Pain that was not mine to bear, I took and turned into invigoration. I gave meaning to the restless nights and unseen tears. Above all, I was always able to re-kindle a notion of hope within my people.
 For the longest time I reigned as Champion of my people in the absence of my queen. My own feelings of dread, pushed aside and lost amongst the needs of others. I found solace in my life's work. Even though, in the back of my mind I had always feared the un-earthing of my own fears.
 Only my queen was permitted to look upon her champion without his armor. I dared not show the world my imperfection. The vital piece of a man's morality, that had been absent since birth. Day after day, I waited for her return. Desperate to fight back the thoughts of misfortune and indiscretion. They plagued my very dreams. Pushing me to the brink of my sanity.
 My facade was crumbling before my eyes. The kingdom's people stood outside the castle, in wonderment. "Where is our champion?.. Who will give us hope in his absence?..." From the highest tower, I heard their cries, but they remained oblivious to my own.
 It was the fear, you see.. The fear of the truth being revealed to the people.. The champion cringed at the thought of his insecurities exposed. His faults looked upon in the light of day. "How would they accept me, knowing that the very teachings of resilience and hope were just kind words?... An effort to brighten their eyes, just as my queen had done for so many years."
 It was she, who taught the champion to fight, to love, and to kill with kindness rather than the cherished Double-Edged Sword. Days passed, and the kingdom's people grew more and more restless in the champion's absence. They heard the screams of rage coming from the tower but could not reach him with their own words of kindness; the love he had once shown.
 They could only silently watch as the flames began to envelop the tower that cold winter morning, and the combined tears of the people that could have easily subdued the flames were condemned to the ground. One by one, they began to scream as the queen's caravan approached the city gates.... RUN CHAMPION, RUN.....

© 2014 Lloyd Frieson-Small


Author's Note

Lloyd Frieson-Small
Constructive criticism always welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really relate to this poem and the idea of a kingdom of people who need a savior or a champion. I'm not going to get into the details of how I interpret this poem but it really resonates in a way that you can only talk about with someone who has experience this on a level that isn't easily reached. I could be wrong but it touched me beneath the arches. I love it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really relate to this poem and the idea of a kingdom of people who need a savior or a champion. I'm not going to get into the details of how I interpret this poem but it really resonates in a way that you can only talk about with someone who has experience this on a level that isn't easily reached. I could be wrong but it touched me beneath the arches. I love it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"They could only silently watch as the flames began to envelop the tower that cold winter morning, and the combined tears of the people that could have easily subdued the flames were condemned to the ground. One by one, they began to scream as the queen's caravan approached the city gates.... RUN CHAMPION, RUN....."

A splendid read and write...:)..................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 17, 2014
Last Updated on June 30, 2014
Tags: Melancholy, Imagery, Reflection

Author

Lloyd Frieson-Small
Lloyd Frieson-Small

Mobile, AL



About
I am an aspiring poet and novelist from the Southern states. I write free verse, serious, and romantic poetry primarily. Though, I also do prose. As of late I have attempted to expand my skills by sta.. more..

Writing