Like A Moth To The Flame

Like A Moth To The Flame

A Poem by Lloyd Frieson-Small
"

An explanatory piece. It was created from my memories of a woman I was pursuing a few years back. What I mistook as love, and what I felt as I fooled myself.

"
I saw her again in my dream today as I slept through the slower part of the afternoon. When she visits these dreams, I feel everything in and around me intensifying. Like I feel a pulse from elsewhere. I know she was thinking of me, even if she'd never say it. "I can't tell you how to love, you can't tell me how to feel.." Another attempt at justification from the fool.
 My kind always pays the price, always smiling... Writhing inside each time I fail at keeping my distance. I could never... Something always pulls me right back, and the further away I go, the deeper the wounds. "This loneliness is a life-long companion, ever-vigilant in its embrace, holding my heart closer than any love I've ever known.
" Won't you take its place?...  Won't you release me?...  Still, I am amazed, for her inner beauty is as rare as heavy rain in a house of hellfire... My father told me once, that even if I fall, be the last to fall... With those forgotten words, I erected an obelisk for all to see, just in case I didn't make it back...

© 2014 Lloyd Frieson-Small


Author's Note

Lloyd Frieson-Small
Constructive criticism always welcomed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Powerful and beautiful--a must for my faves! Your father spoke brilliant advice--I have been over that cliff, and though shards of me survived--I've been forever changed--to the point that I cannot say that I made it back--I am no longer the same. I related to this piece on a very deep level! Brilliant write!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Powerful and beautiful--a must for my faves! Your father spoke brilliant advice--I have been over that cliff, and though shards of me survived--I've been forever changed--to the point that I cannot say that I made it back--I am no longer the same. I related to this piece on a very deep level! Brilliant write!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"My father told me once, that even if I fall, be the last to fall... With those forgotten words, I erected an obelisk for all to see"

Powerful usage of advice and Egyptian symbolism. I like that a lot when poets use references to ancient icons along with an allusion to their symbolism as far as realistic ones or mythical ones...A very good reflective poem and you are a thinker I can tell..:)....................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This would make for a great introductory piece of a short story or fiction novel..


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed your writing...it's reflective and emotive which takes you by the collar and lulls the reader into tuning into every word and every sentence. I'm not going to talk about punctuation cause I don't use it and for me it's not necessary. Criticism to me is very overrated and often times is not necessary except for those who need to hear themselves correcting someone or to laud an air of some type of superiority over others. I also never suggest to someone my own ideas of how they should write because this is what makes them stand out, it is their signature and I don't think anyone should attempt to play with that as if they are the god of poems. I'm saying this to say Excellent write. You gave us creativity and your mark Is all over it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 20, 2014
Last Updated on February 20, 2014
Tags: Reflection, Serious, Free Verse, Imagery, Inspirational, Romantic

Author

Lloyd Frieson-Small
Lloyd Frieson-Small

Mobile, AL



About
I am an aspiring poet and novelist from the Southern states. I write free verse, serious, and romantic poetry primarily. Though, I also do prose. As of late I have attempted to expand my skills by sta.. more..

Writing