The Rival

The Rival

A Story by Pamela D. Hart
"

Short story about a man in love with his brother's lady.

"

 

 

He walked into the crowded tavern. Wall to wall people was the term. He didn’t have to push his way through the crowd to get to the bar; the mass automatically opened a pathway for him-like Moses splitting the Red Sea.
 
He stood at the bar and watched the scene around him. Men flirting with women; women flirting with men. Most he knew; some he didn’t. But his dark brown eyes sought only one. He stopped his quest when he found his quarry.
 
She was across the room from him; too far away to see his scrutiny in the dark room. She was taller than average and prettier, too. But that wasn’t what held his interest. It was the way she stood, so tall and proud as if she owned the place. She was a beauty, but that only got a woman so far. This one had brains and wasn’t afraid to show it. A blonde with brains. She liked blonde jokes, too. He liked a woman with a sense of humor. Her laughter filled the room and her smiled could blind a man. It mesmerized him.
 
He couldn’t remember the last time a woman captivated him the way she had. Maybe that was the problem. She was the first. He couldn’t get enough of her. He was totally content just watching her. No, that was a lie. He wanted more than that.
 
She was like poison. The more he was around her; the more he needed to be around her. He knew she wasn’t aware of the effect she had on him. She was always friendly with him. Joked with him. Never overly flirtatious. She wasn’t fake. He liked that the most.
 
She glanced his way. Their eyes met. He held the intangible contact for a few seconds before smiling. Then he looked away. He had to. If he didn’t he’d go to her and he couldn’t do that. He yearned to hold her. He wanted to be the one she laughed for and smiled at. Then why? Why didn’t he tell her his true feelings?
 
He felt it then. His answer. His brother’s hand on his shoulder. He couldn’t win her heart for it already belonged to another.

© 2008 Pamela D. Hart


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good. I felt sorry for the guy. He should get the girl! It was really good.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
1 Review
Added on March 24, 2008
Last Updated on March 24, 2008

Author

Pamela D. Hart
Pamela D. Hart

PA



About
I'm a married mom of two sons who are the lights of my life, but writing has always been my passion. As all writers know, writing is a need. I must fill a blank page with words like Cupid must fill.. more..

Writing