Glen, Lover of Life

Glen, Lover of Life

A Story by Paul McCall
"

A short story about a man who deserved a few more years.

"

A man who loved life more than any person I have known, who was looking forward to his ninety-first birthday, which happen to be April 4, 2015, was, struck down by a massive stroke some time Tuesday night March 31 or Wednesday April 1 while he slept. He lingered at Milford Hospital in Milford MA as all his family members and friends could only await the terrible inevitable.

 

Glen R. Dowen married my mother, Irene when I was about thirteen, which would have been around 1962. The relationship between Glen and my brothers and I, at first, took some getting used to. We certainly were not angels by any stretch of the imagination.

 

We also gained a stepbrother, Allen and a stepsister, Dianne.  On November 1, 1968, Mom gave birth to Cynthia Ann Dowen and our two families were then, genetically linked. Glen was a tenacious hard worker and really seemed to enjoy every minute of every job he had. I cannot, recall ever hearing him complain about any job he worked. I grew to love this man; he was frugal man but had a good heart that I believe in certain circumstances, sometimes he tried to conceal for his own protection. Glen had a strong sense of humor, and oh, how he loved to tell stories of his life's adventures. In his senior years he often forgot how many times he had told you a particular story and would go on to repeat it even after you told him, "Glen, you already told me this story" he pretend he didn't hear you and just went on with his story as you sat there politely lip sinking almost every word.

 

The Doctors told us a stroke of this severity would be terminal. We who knew and loved him could not get a grip on this diagnosis because even at ninety Glen was active and so full of life.

 

I hope God has fashioned a replica of Glen's huge yard where he can continue to putter around with all sorts of his beloved projects to nowhere, doing what he loved to do most, keeping busy.

© 2015 Paul McCall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

When the Lord calls us, we go. I can only hope to go in my sleep. It just seems peaceful, and right. God knows I'm not good at letting go, or having to say goodbye, anyway.

...thank you for sharing. I'm sure he's quite content to be there!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Paul McCall

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your reading, I appreciate your kind words.
This is a sensitive, beautiful ode to your stepfather. I also gained a stepfather at age 13, and came to have much love and respect for him. None of us get to live forever, but there are some who deserve to. Perhaps Glen is piddling right now in a different, even more beautiful yard.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Paul McCall

9 Years Ago

Once again, thank you Sam, personally I am not religious but for Glen’s sake I hope my beliefs are.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2015
Last Updated on June 1, 2015

Author

Paul McCall
Paul McCall

Gloucester, VA



About
I enjoy writing short story's. I have a web site, www.paulmccallart.com Thank you for visiting. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by Paul McCall