RAGE - The Origin of the Incredible HULK

RAGE - The Origin of the Incredible HULK

A Story by ParadoxUnlimited
"

A fan fiction retooling of the origional Pilot story for TV show

"

RAGE

The origin of The Incredible Hulk

by:

Scott Matthew


Hammond/Carter Research Facility �" WestField Penn. Present

day.

Offices of Dr.'s David Banner and Helena Markis.

Area of study: Incidences of abnormal strength in high stress trauma situations.


Case study 25 �" Herman Moore. 57. Height: 5'8 Weight: aproxx.



400 lbs.


Time: 3:30 p.m.


“The noise from the rotters was a lot louder than I had expected it to be once we started getting up there more. I thought for a second Dale wasn't going to be able to get us off the ground with my fat a*s but we got the thing up there and everything seemed to be going alright. We did a couple low passes over the creek. Everyone was wavin and hootin n hollerin, you know. But then, all the sudden it was like god himself took his hand and smacked us. We were all over the place. I couldn't tell what way was up or down. I have never been so scaired. I mean I was petrified and what was really crazy was through everything that was going on I could hear my wife. I could hear her screaming my name.

We spun around. It seemed like forever. I know I felt like I was going to be sick. One second I was looking up into the sky and the next everything was dark and I could feel the cold water on my head. We'd crashed upside down right inside that creak bed. Couldn't have been more than 3 feet of water in that bed but that's were we stuck. Looking back at it now we were as lucky as we could have been but luck isn't everything. I started to panic. I yelled Dale's name but I couldn't see or hear him. I could smell the smoke and before I knew it my head was under water. Somehow was able to get my belt undone and I fell like a rock to the windshield of the helicopter. That's how I got this.

I felt like s**t leaving Dale there but I couldn't breath or see anything. Thankfully there weren't any doors. I was able to push myself up and stood up out of the water and everyone was running over to help. Dale was not there. I was dizzy and someone had to help me up. They were trying to get Dale out of there. His belt was jammed or something. They sat me down on the edge of the creek right there. I was having a hard time catching my breath and I was coughing and everything else and I kept watching and waiting and waiting and they still couldn't get him up out of that cockpit.

I remember I was getting mad. I remember getting really mad that I was going to watch my friend die because all them people couldn't save him and I just couldn't believe it. So I jumped up and went down into the water and I grabbed hold of one of the landing bars and I pulled up on that sucker harder than anything. At first nothing happened but I tried harder and suddenly the cockpit started to rise out of the water. Then it was like I couldn't feel the metal at all, it just kept rising. They got Dale out of there. He wasn't breathing but they did cpr and he's okay now thank god. But no one could believe, especially how weak I was, that I could get down there and lift that cockpit up like that and hold it while they unhooked him. After that I blacked out. Slept for close to three days and when I woke up I felt like a new man. Even lost some weight, not that you guys would notice. But anyways, that's the story. Pretty cool huh?”

David switched on the intercom. He bent the mic slightly toward him. “Alright, thank you Mr. Moore. That was very good. We appreciate it. Now if you wouldn't mind stepping into the lobby my associate will be with you shortly.” He hit the switch again, leaned back in the chair and crossed his arms.

“It's a very compelling story. I think it's one of our best.” Helena said, as she stood and gathered some papers into a folder.

David exhaled sharply. “How does an overweight man who's nearly drowned lift all that weight and hold it? The helicopter, Dale and the water?” He shook his head.

“I know David. Look, why don't we take a break. We've been at it half the day already. Besides, I'm dying for the taste of coffee and a cigarette.”

He managed a smile.

The day had grown warm and a mild breeze whispered across the courtyard in the middle of the facility. The main building had an outdoor walkway which overlooked the grounds. Is was a nice place to relax. David had found himself here a lot lately. It was peaceful and generally quiet.

“You look tired David. How are you sleeping?”

He sighed. “Not very good.”

“Bad dreams?”

“Sometimes. Sometimes I just cant get it out of my mind.”

“Well it's been three years. Just give things time, you know.” Helena pulled lightly on the cigarette. You were lucky to get out of there at all yourself. You know that.”

David shook his head. “No. I should have gotten to her.

I see her face so clearly still Helena. So bright. Then there's a flash. I knew if I quit medicine I'd hang myself. Hell I still might.”

“Don't talk like that David. You're already one of the most respected geneticists here. This is a great place for boring, ant-social nerds and geniuses who might just need to get away for a while. But I live here, so what do I know.”

“I did not know that.”

“Well Dr. Banner, there are still things you don't know about me.” She threw him a quick wink and that made him smile.”

“Oooo secrets.” He clasped his together behind him and stepped passed her with a nod. “Coffee.”

“Ooooo me too.”

“Right.”



(1:00 a.m.)



It was the worst when he started in the desert. He was alone and the howled around him and swirled sand, covering the faded blacktop road. It was always worse standing in the desert. Waiting. Waiting for the car to come. There was no escape. David had tried everything. Tried staying awake but no. So he was forced to wait in agony. He felt the sting of the particulates on his face. The heat of the ground beneath his bare feet. The air tasted hot. Soon the car was coming. He could feet it. The echoing, screeching tones from a far off violin. Pulling at his spine more and more as it sped toward him. It was a long lonely stretch of road halfway between someplace and nowhere.

It was a good size chunk of rock in the road that did it. Took is Rachel from him. Trapped him in this madness from whence there seemed no escape. He could see the sun glinting off the hood of his yellow Mustang now. The first sign. He kicked at the rock. Forever. It came. Faster now. Time was speeding up. He looked down at the rock, then at the chrome grill of his car as it charged toward him. These days, he just let the car rise and spin past him in the impact. The concussive pulse of the rim bending around the stone and the axle snapping. Her side took it all. So fast. Now he lye on his back looking up into deep blue sky.

He couldn't understand what had happened. That he'd been thrown through his belt and the open window and was a good ten or twelve feet away. The disorientation was costly. He tried so hard to get up. To even sit. Everything took time.

In a deep dream, everything takes more time and effort than you know it should. Especially when there is a specific task you wish to preform. This task can be anything. Something as simple as opening a door. Something so simple but yet it just never seems to happen. With effort, David managed to mostly crawl to the smoking ditch the front end had created. He had to

lean through the smoke to see car. It was lying mostly on his side and the window was blocked. The angle of the ditch made it impossible to roll the car over enough to get in. He looked through the cracked front windshield. Her head was bleeding. She would not respond to calls. He kicked on the glass. Kicked and kicked more but it would not give. Then out of the corner of his eye he sees a flash. Fire from under the hood.

Now the heat was all around him and the smoke. His knuckles were bruised from hitting the glass but he pulled and continued to pull on that door handle. He breathed in the smoke and tasted the fire and death as the rage swelled inside him and found vent in one long, loud, final scream of despair.

“Rachel!”

David awoke. He was breathing heavily and sweating. He blinked frantically at the darkness, needing to make sure it was done. It was. He wiped his face and kicked the sheets away. They would need changing. “Well we lasted three hours. That's not very good. Don't tell the doctor.” He laughed. “It's okay to tell yourself your messed up.



(the next day)




CASE STUDY 35:

SUBJECT �" Veronica Huffington �" Miller AGE �" 64

Aged 62 at time of

incident




David was late. He tried to creep in but the recording room fairly small but he held up two cups but that made Helena barely smile. “I know, sorry. Harry is giving his morning talk on cell binding.” He sat quickly. She knew he hadn't red the file.

“You're alright, Veronica just got in, but I was having a little trouble hearing her the first time, so I'm going to ask her to speak a little louder into the microphone.”

David stood slightly and waved down at the woman. Se was seated in a comfortable black chair in front of a plane wood table. She was an African American woman, about five-six and one hundred thirty pounds. Her hair was black mixed with gray. She looked like a sweet woman. Middle income. Someones grandma. She looked a little nervous and was gripping a large white purse, or some bag tightly in the lap of her purple dress suit. His gesture did not seem to put her at any ease but she did nod.

Helena pressed a button on her mic. “Alright Mrs. Huffington. We are ready now. This is-” She paused just for a moment and shot him a quick narrow glance. “-my assistant Dr. Banner. He is assisting me in this study. He's harmless.”

David mouthed the word funny. Sometimes she was.

“Thank you again Mrs. Huffington for driving all the way here to share your story. We're ready whenever you are. Just relax and take your time.”

The woman gathered herself. For a short time later she just sat in silence. Then she began to speak.

“The first thing I remembered when I woke up was how it had been like the hand of god his self picked that car up, spun it around like it did and landed it down on its side right in the middle of a ditch and that ditch had water in it.

When I opened my eyes all I saw was bright blue sky and I knew I was alive because my back was burning alive on the

concert of the road. This was first part of August. Just hot. When I was able to peel myself off of the road I sat up and for a moment, just a moment, I could not see my car. It was as if I hadn't been driving. Like I was sitting in some kind of confusing world. But then I stood and looked more to the left and I saw the car. I couldn't believe how far away from it seemed. Maybe it just felt far because how confused I was but when I went to it, it was more than halfway covered long ways and there was no way I could move it. My grandson Mylar was riding with me. He was nine at the time. I had him belted in like an adult. He was in there. I could see him, but he was hurt. I could see blood on his head. I pounded and pounded on that glass with everything I had and it just wouldnt brake. I was afraid to start kicking and get myself hurt too then we'd really be in trouble.

What I did was I climbed up on top of the side that was clear. There was just the one door on that beater. Old old Comaro. Big. I didn't make it the first time but second time I sure did. His window had been down some but mind haddn't. I must have yelled his name a hundred times. He just wouldn't look at me. I had a really hard time trying to keep my balance and try and open the door. I knew the door was unlocked, how else could I have been flung out. I thought it would just open if I could keep from falling long enough to get in but it wouldnt. It just wouldn't budge. I pounded on the lock. Kicked at the door but nothing. I remember I just kept pulling and calling his name.

Then the water started to get in. I could see it, seeping in along the edges. His window was a little open but ground was keeping a good enough seal and the water in that runoff ditch started filling up around my boy.

Well at that point I-I really didn't know what to do. I had no tools. I knew it was going to take some time to get the attention of someone passing by. I guess you would say I started to panic. I knew I had to get that door open. I was desperate to get it open. And then, a thought entered my mind. It was a crazy thought but for some strange reason I was really convinced I could do it. I knew if I could get my fingers in between the door and car enough. If I pushed hard I could get them in there and I did. Then I could feel the smooth leather interior. And I knew, if I pulled hard enough I could move the door. Look at me. I know how strong I am. Grandkid calls me Yoda. No-no. I'm nothing like that. I don't need no cane to get around I drive. But when I look at the picture the news person took and I look at my grandson, I bent that door back. I bent it good. Good enough so as I could get down there and get him up out of that water and I did. It was another hell getting him up there on the car and not letting him fall off but I managed that too in the hot.

By the time I got us to the other side of the road where there was flat grass, someone had stopped and I passed out at some point but everything ended up being okay. Mylar says he isn't having the bad dreams like he used to. I had some dreams but mostly it goes away. I asked him if he wanted to come too but he was doing something with kids from school. That's the story. I sent a picture of the car, it's from the newspaper. Mylar, probably bought most of them. It was something.


The image is what David had been looking at. Intently. He replayed the womans words, allowing them to echo in his mind. “I just knew I could do it. If I just pulled hard enough. I could bend that door back!” And, that was what she had done. An image worth more than the world. He set the photo down suddenly and hit his mic. “Alright. Thank you Mrs. Huffington. My assistant, Ms. Markis, will be down to see you shortly if you would go right on through that little door you came through. Yep. Right there. The one you cant see.”

“It's like a secret door you got.”

David finished his fake smile and sat with a thud. He mashed his palms into his knees. It was too hot in here. Lab jackets always kept the heat in, even in the winter. Maybe this was the last one. There were so many now. All walks of life. All different people. He looked at Helena. She could tell he was restless about things.

“What are you thinking David? Should we take a brake? You know, maybe we should. Give ourselves a chance to compile. Breath. Smoke.”

David grinned slightly. He pressed fingers into his temples and took a long breath. “Here is the problem. This is what I cant get at. What is one thing all of these stories have in common. If you could pick one thing.”

“Hmmm. Okay.” It was a harder question to answer than she thought. Of course a lot of the stories shared common events. Verticals turned over. Doors, or handles that seem unable to move. But she decided to play chicken, mostly to keep David talking but really because she had no idea what to say. “I give up genius boy.”

David leaned forward. “The answer, is nothing.” He jumped up huffed up the several stairs to the door. He started down the wide main hall but Helena was fast behind him.”

“What do you mean by that David.”

He really wanted just to get out of the building but of course now he really would have to explain it. Tell her it was a dead end. “There is no common detail that connects them all together. No lightning strike. No hits to the head, not every one.” He sighed. There just isn't anything here. No answers. What do see is answeres for a lot of other people. But not for me. I got to watch my wife burn to death because I couldnt stick my hands into that smoking door.”

“David don't start doing that. Don't start making it about you. You didn't have a chance in hell of getting her out. You know that. It was up to her to save herself and that didn't happen. But I guess you're right. I guess, sometimes incredible things just happen. But they don't happen every time. Remember. You started this. I was the one warning you about-self involvment. You said no no no I'm fine I've just been on youtube too much. You tell me what you want to do David.”

“Did we get Mrs. Huffs blood?”

“Yep.”

“Good. Cancel the rest of the meetings. I already sent the first bunch to Larry, so we should have the results in a couple days. Then I will need to-compile. Is there something special you like to eat while you compile.”

“Well Dr. I do like this little chineese place down the road but I prefer to do it, alone.” She pivoted sharply in a direction proceed off, leaving him to ponder existence and other things.




(1:45 a.m.)




The echos of madness still churned in the dark corners of his mind. Even though so many times he found himself there, he could not find the strength to brake the cycle.

He is in the car with her. She'd wearing the white sun dress he bought her. It ripples around her in the breeze as they go. He remembers her laughing. He hears it. It rings in his ears to the point he just cant take it anymore. At lest cowering in the dark David knew it was done. He didn't have to look at her quite that clearly anymore. It was too much. Too burned into his mind.

Two weeks after they were married. It was just, one of those things that happened. It was almost as though he were haunted.





David had nearly dozed off in his cube when his desktop messenger chimed. Just loud enough to rouse him. “View message.”

It was a vid com. From Harry.

“Play.”

“Hey David. Thanks a lot for the mods. Wow! Anyways. Here's everything on the samples. Not a lot of surprises here. Multiple types. Trace narcotics. Its all in the pdf.

There were some trace elevations of radiation in a lot of the samples, all but two or three. That was something. It's in the electrogram scan series. Hope it helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you man. Pease.”

The window went dark. David was intrigued. “Open attachment.”

The file was twenty pages. A lot of chemical jargan. Mostly uninteresting even to him. He just could not believe there was nothing. Not even in the blood that would have given so many people the strength of ten of them. What would give that woman the strength to open that door like it was a can? What was it? What was the common denominator?

He went to the the electron scan. There he made a curious discovery. In all but two of the twenty case volunteers they drew from, there was a detectable level of radiation. “Gamma radiation.”

“Gamma? Really?”

“It's all in the file.”

They were back on the deck. It was a nice day and clouds were puffy. They walked slowly as they talked.

“What's our next move?”

David gave her an exaggerated wink. Well Ms. Holmes now it is time for a bit of comparative analysis. Who do you know here that knows about the sun? Knows where all that data is and how to read it? Probably no one you know.”

She blew out at him at that comment. “You know I hate that. When you do that. Act like you know smarter people than I do, or something. Even I probably know more about -”

He began to promptly walk away as she just would talk louder. “Yes yes.”

“Or I could just do what you do and Youtube it. That's how you learn.”

But David was miles away shaking his head. He wanted to see if it was a connection, or just another anomaly.


“Activate audio command. Banner D. B. Run cross analysis of specified dates against gamma exposure levels across North American contenint, over the lists course of time.”

~ Your query has been routed to the space and aeronautical division. Expect a reply within 48 hours. Thank you~

“More waiting. I need a drink.”

He found himself more and more in a tavern. Drinking his thoughts away. There just was nothing else to do. David didn't know what to do with himself. He did his best to fake it but the loneliness was taking its tole. His ambition had been and still was to practice medicine and be a sergin. If he could only keep his hands from shaking even slightly when he lost consintration. He had money but the life was hollow now. She was gone.

“By god I did. I pulled that door back! I mean I must have.”

But David was lying to himself at this point. There was nothing to be gained by continuing on. What. What would make it better? Nothing. Not all the gamma radiation in the world. He drank and thought mostly about Rachel. He made it hard on himself because he was responsible. Not in intent but by the simple fact of his being behind the wheel. It was his responsibility and he failed. Whatever he hit, he never saw. Even in the dreams things are not completely clear. But her face is ever present. It's too much.

Outside, David takes a few drags from a cigarette and stares off into the stars. He dreads the night. Dreading seeing her face just in that way again. Forever frozen. Forever beautiful.

It would be another restless night for David. Multiple incarnations of the worst day of his life. He had become trapped in his own cage. Alone in the desert. For eternity. Alone, but not completely.


(the next day)



In the morning, David went to his cube and turned the computer on. To his surprise, the division had replied in the night. Some people never sleep. The result was astonishing. In every case, the level of gamma radiation eminating from the sun and space was higher in and around the time of the events, than any other in their respective calendar years. They sent him the entire time chart. Marked and dated. Even a search. Plug in a date, see what all you were exposed to. All the bad stuff. But David felt he was on the cusp of resolution. Finally there was something that tied all of the stories together. He typed the numbers in. He knew them without thinking. He hit enter. The red line skooted sharply to one side on the screen.

“Magnify times 50.”

The lines became larger and it became clear that the marker sank low into a depression on the gamma side. Quite low. David tried not to let it be a low moment but it just really made things worse. Was there a connection between the intensity and horror of these situations and the gamma? Digging deeper, David realized the majority of the cases happened in or around summer season. Too many darts flowing in the same direction.

“I wasn't strong enough to do it. Not that day. Maybe on a different day, or one of these days!”

He was starting to get mad now. He didn't want Helana to see him like this. She knew he was having some difficulties but really it was more. Sometimes he just could not let go of the rage.

It was something she could never understand. So far he was doing a good job hiding it but not really. Probably, pretty soon, he would have to move on. Maybe go west. See some nature. It seemed like a pretty good idea. Get out of the computer. David leaned back in the chair. He interlaced his fingers under his chin.

“You were weak!”

That was the voice. God he hated that. It and all of its pathetic retching. It's laughing. The taunting. David stretched his neck back over the head of the chair. He took a long deep breath, trying to focus. Let things go.

“You didn't even try!”

“Shut up. I said, shut up.”

This time, it went away. But the next time it probably wouldn't right away. It was the little things, slowly chipping away at the man named David Banner. A man at the the top of his game, torn between career and a sabbatical for answers and maybe absolution. But mostly he'd been met with sadness and anger. Angry that this radiation anomaly was all he could look at. Well, what else would there be? What else could there be? “Come on man, get a grip. Get some kind of grip.



Gaining access to the radiation lab was quite easy. Most of the regular employees knew him by name. It was his first time

visiting the facility and he was quick to assure the people he was purely interested in looking at some of the equipment to see if it would be suitable for some of his experiments. They loved to hear that, plus he had the geek badge.

There was really only one item David was interested in. The laser radiation chair. He found it down a hall and around a corner. There wasn't even anyone around. The room was un lit and the chair hung bathed in erie shadow, like a sideshow only partly revealed. It was a simple, highly advanced mechanism. Very accurate. Very precise. Dangerous. Expensive. Everything about it said do not touch.

“You were a fool!”

David tried to laugh the comment off but the taste of it lingered. The door to the chair room was unlocked and he went inside and closed the door. He walked around the chair. It was suspended from above by a single arm and the chair could be rotated virtually 360 degrees. He touched its cool edge. Pulled on the restraints. They were good. There would be no turning back, if he really wanted to be that stupid.

“Yeah come on do it! We like that idea! Come on. See what happens!”

“See what happens. What could happen? I could die but maybe U could get strong. Direct target to the base of the poriatal cluster. The center of it all. All the carnage. Most people live their whole lives and don't know about it. This is one of the only machines on the planet that can do it. It's the only thing that makes sense. You were weak because of the cycle.” His mind had always been made up, it was just a question of what the direction was going to be. What magic potion would he have to drink to find any extra. Drugs did not help for lack of control and nor did drinking. What was David looking for? A way to test himself. To see of he had what it takes. He moved past the chair and through a door to his left on the other side of a wide pane of dark two- way glass. The main control concole lined most of the window. Across from it were several processing servers and a desk top station between them. He was familiar with the equipment. There weren't even any lockouts. No cameras in the firing room. “It's almost too perfect. What do we tell Helena?”

“Nothing! She'll just object. Tell her the cross-reference analysis didn't come up with anything. You know, she's really cute. You might think about your future a little bit Banner. It couldn't hurt.”

He stepped closer to the controls. He touched the console. “I have to take this seriously. I have to be sure.” He looked hard at the chair. It was the gamma. That's where it came from, these peoples incredible, remarkable strength. People weaker even than himself. That is what killed him, really, when a sixty year old woman can do such a thing but he could not. It just cannot make sense. He should tell her. He knew.




For the next few days David behaved completely normally with Helana. He agreed with her it was time to take a break. He really liked that idea. He even bought her dinner. Not Chinese. He took her some place really nice. He made nice but it was just a ruse. He wanted to make sure she believed he was okay and she did.

He choose a night and made his way to the lab. His over all task was made easier by the independent lighting system of the ray chamber. No one would ever know he was here. In the middle of the console were the output settings. Some of the functions were computerized but there were as well a number of manual controls and different exposures and settings. It was a very dangerous tool to say the lest. You had to know exactly what you were doing. He looked over the controls then went to the computer. Surprisingly his home pass word info unlocked the system. The task then presenting himself was more difficult than he'd thought. It was a very advanced interface, semi-coded. He was able to bypass the decryption lock out screen. Soon after, the program was set. Two minuets of exposure.

David went back to the console. The ray beam apature control dial seemed to be missing a portion of its gauage ring. The min was down to one-thousand milijules. It read to just over fifteen-thousand and then there was a strip of red tape. He started to grin but there was a cold chill that started to trickle down his spine. “What's two minuets. I bet it won't even do anything. What is this, thirty-thousand? Fifty? Let's do it.” He turned the dile all the way down, past the mark. He took a deep breath and stepped back. He stepped back to the computer. “Activate voice command. Banner D.B.”

~Voice command activated

“Accept commands from chamber chair.”

David left the control room and went to the chair. The room now had a soft, warm glow about it, like something was about to come to life. He un did did the belts and sat up into the tightly padded body chair. He redid the belts and was just barley

able to swing the safety bar around. “Assume firing attitude.”

The chair rose with a smoothness and it rotated slightly around the arm and positioned David in a strange angled manner, of which he was unprepared and scarsely could tell which side of the room he was looking at. It was a uncomfortable as it was disconcerting, the rather suddenness of it. “Computer. Time to fire.”

~One minute, twenty five seconds.

“Jesus.” Suddenly David realized how trapped he really was. But he gave himself to it. He took a deep breath and then another. Two and it was all over. It wouldn't turn his brain to mush would it? “Keep the time.” He needed to hear the voice of the computer. It helped him. Gave him something to focus on at lest. Soon it was at five, then one. The laser fire was crimson red and it shot directly through the chair into Davids brain. He felt very little. The two min. ran up. The laser winked out and the chair twisted him back around in its decent. He was out of it in a few moments but lingered in at it, thinking perhaps two min. was just a waste of time. He started thinking of easy ways to test his experiment. He went back into the control room and locked the door. He then tried with all his might to open the door with his only his hands twisting and pulling. Nothing. He tried some more but he couldn't get the lock to budge. He was sooner to loosen the handle from the door than anything. Then he might be trapped in here. He tightened a fist and banged lightly against the wood door. “That's okay. It doesn't have to happen all at once and maybe two min. wasn't enough. We probably killed a couple brain cells but what the hell.

David decided it was time to go. It was still quite early but he'd done the deed and now it was time to leave the scean of the crime. The lab was a bit of a ways up the mountain from the main facility and although he would preferd to have walked, the threat of storms had proved to be true and to add to his lingering frustrations it had just begun to pour. “Great! Just teriffic.” At lest no one else was up here. Covering his head in his

leather jacket he was able to make a clean get away. Out of the lot and down the a long stretch of road which led to a curving decent.

The wipers could not keep up and David was having trouble seeing the the tree line but he was going very slow, guageing it by how much the outlying branches was scraping his mustangs white exteroir but it was all he had left. As the first turn approached and David bacame increasingly impatient, he pushed a little bit and started down the hill. Lightning thrashed to one side and then the other. It was too loud. Too close. He made it around the first turn and the the second but on the third there was a snag in the road. The storm wind had already blown down a rickety pine and there it lay over the better half of the road. David saw it but there was nowhere to go. He swirved to the right, keeping the right tires more out of harms way but the left front to a stubern hit and pop of the tire and ensuing grinding to a halt added more insult to any injury he might incure as a result of gamma exposure. He managed to get the car to the right side of the road, next to the reflective barricade. He didnt know how far down it was. Couldn't be that far really. Plus he was alone. No one would be up here especially in this. “Teriffic!” Spares in the back. He would do it fast and get it into the garage. Simple. The rain rapped hard on his back. He dod not wear his leather, opting to perform the task just in his already soaked polo. Oh Helana would have gotten a kick out of this. You did what! Well it was a little embarrassing. Sneaking around and now with the flat. “Son of a B***h!” David retrieved the quality spare and bolt rod. It was a single. Specifically for that car. He got down on his knees. The glow from the headlights

gave him a little idea of what he was doing and there was lightning flashing above. The first bolt was ever so stuborn. David pulled and pulled as hard as he could and the damn thing wouldn't even as much as squeak. It was the rain. It was freezing the bolts. He elected to try another and had slightly better luck with that choice but it still took some effort. The second bolt he tried was equally as difficult and found himself starting to hate the car. Hating ever buying it, looking at where it had left him. He pulled with abandon and let out a semi-gutteral yell and loosened the bolt.

The third and forth bolts came loose at some length. David was winded and the pelting rain had beat him up. He felt like it was almost time to give up but he managed to push himself up the side of the car and half walk half slide to the rear to retrieve the jack. He was tired and feeling somewhat disorientated. Probably a combination of the chair and the storm. The lightning flashes were causing him incrcreased irritation. He thought about getting in and waiting it out but decided against it. “Come on you big baby just finish it!” He lined the jack up and lifted it into position. All he had to do now was get the last bolt. He got the bolt into the arm tight and took a long deep breath and pulled down as hard as he could emagine. Harder than he'd ever pulled before. The bolt remained frozen but as if in protest of its refusal to turn the curved arm yanked off and struck David on the out side of his right knee. Hard. The strike caused him to yell, curse and it sent him back and completely into the vacant road. “You. Who do you think you are.” David snatched the arm up and, although sore, replanted himself at the wheel. Sure this time he could get it. Would get it. He steeled himself and reset the bar. A little higher this time.

He steeled himself and reset the bar. A little higher this time. The rain continuing to smack him in the face. There was another flash of lightning. David pulled and pulled. His feet slipped more now in the rain. He balanced himself against the car and pulled down again, hard.

The arm failed again. It spun around in his hand before

nailing him this time dead center on the right knee. In that moment a feeling of heat came over him. As he knelt down clutching his knee, the sensation of heat continued to increase. It increased to the point he felt he was about ready to burn up.

“Remember the fire. What you couldn't do. Ha ha ha ha. Feel the fire.”

David found himself, suddenly, in a fight. Out in the middle of the the awfulness. It was a fight he started praying he would win. He needed to do it this time. He needed to prove the angry man wrong. Prove it to himself. He steeled himself against the car. The rain continued to slap his face in winded wakes. He had to have one more in him.

“Remember her voice David. So sweet. What happened?”

It's sad. Such a sad story.”

David was having trouble seeing. Maybe it was the lightning but he wasn't sure. He was starting to feel a little waterlogged and his knee hurt like hell. He managed to fumble around for the arm and unenthusiasticly smacked it onto the bolt. It seemed to hold. He got down on his stronger knee and set his arms. “Ready. Pull!” Amazingly, the bolt started to move but even as it did the arm slipped again and this time the curve of the bar landed just across his forehead as he'd been looking down. He yelled out into the night and yelled again. He slammed the arm away hard. It clambered off. He was able to get back to all fores and immediately pounded the pavement and screamed.

Now the heat began to over whelm David and he felt as though he must sucumb to it. It made his whole body feel as though it was burning. It made him cry out and again. “The fire! The burn!” He clawed at his shirt like a caged animal. His pounding escalated to the car. He pounded on it as he began to stand and as David did he caught his reflection in the window in a double flash of lightning. But he did not see quite the face he expected. “My�"eyes.” He whipped around quickly. That was it. Then there was just darkness. It was darkness for what felt like a long time. It was a strange darkness. Like a sleep but there was nothing. He could not awaken.

Then, all of a sudden, David opened his eyes. He was lying in the fetal position at the edge of a wooded pond. He just laid there for a moment and tried to think. Tried to understand what was going on. He was cold. Freezing. This finally prompted him to attempt sit up, which he was able to do, however shirtless and his jeans, however still on, just barely were. He was without shoes as well and was so dehydrated he almost couldn't swallow. The water looked so damn good, for all of its bacteria. He took the risk. It was too much. Even a few good sips made him feel better.

He sat there for a moment. Looking himself over. What was left of him after whatever. He actually was okay. Almost naked but still people had seen worse days. But for some reason David did not feel lucky. There was an event which had transpired which had landed him here, out in the middle of no where. An event for which he could not account. He hadn't been attacked and certainly couldn't remember escaping anywhere. “Good god man, how long have you been out here? Would the wind just have turned me to dust, if I didn't wake up? What the hell! Did I get that drunk?” David went to slap the water but something stopped him. Made him stop and look at his reflection in the still water. He wanted to see his eyes but it was too dark but he gave it a good try.

Getting back to civilization was not the harder part, it was deciding how to do it. He has nothing and could not remember where his car was. He knew his apartment was locked and that there was a spare key and cloths in his locker at the lab but his card was god knew where now. How could this have happened. Where the hell even was he. David did not recognize this area of woods. It looked to go off forever in all directions. He could see the sun enough and its direction gave him a little better idea where to go but he could he in for a long walk.

After a short time David found a path and it took him up to an old logging road. Better no one was up here. Eventually he hit pavement. A long two lane road. Damn. Which way. Did it really matter? You cant stay out in this. David started walking. All he needed was a phone, god he didn't even have that on him. What the hell is going on? “Get a grip man. We'll figure it out. Just walk. Get somewhere.” It didn't take too long for someone to stop off and offer the tattered man a ride, or something. All in all, David felt pretty good, but looking in at himself he really felt how he looked, like something had tried to tare him to pieces. Something that somehow was unable to do so.

“So what's your name and uh- what happened your cloths?”

David sheepishly tried to direct the vent heat towards him. “I'm David. My name is David, I'm a doctor.”

The woman driver laughed. “Oh good, right. You're dressed the part.”

David looked at himself. He just shook his head. “Yes, I know. I seemed to have lost everything. Wallet,keys,car. You name it. I need to get to Brownstown. Do you have any idea where that is?”

“Yeah but that's like an hour away and I only have to go that way so far so when I have to turn off I'll let you out alright?”

“That's fine.”


There was a gas station just outside the county limits. David had hiked off road to end up there. By the end of it he was tired, thirsty, dirty and mad. Nothing really made any sense yet. Luckily, the pay phone was in working order. Of course he had no change. There were a hand full of names in mind but he decided to chance a call to one of his college friends, Jason MacGee. He wanted someone outside the circle of science to bring him back. He placed the call collect. It rang several times, then the line was picked up.

“Yes this is J. MacGee!”

It was a loud and busy sounding voice which crackled through the ear of the phone. David held it just away from his ear. Probably best anyway. God, who knows. “Jason hey, it's David Banner. We met up at that fusion seminar a few months back.”

“Yes David. I got you. Helped me pass bio-cem. Yeah, too bad I never used any of that crap. Ha ha ha. What's up man. I bet you're some world famous scientist or doctor or something right. Come on.”

“Well Jason-I did study medicine at Berkley after Yale but more recently I've been working mostly freelance and I've been involved in a number of research projects. One of which is part of the reason I'm calling and got really lucky to catch you. Are you still in the state? I know it's been a while since we've spoken.”

“I moved but I'm still here. What's going on David? Please tell me you turned yourself invisible? The answer is yes! I'm a professional photographer and a private investigator. It's perfect. You can tell me everything and one day when you're ready to tell the world to go screw its self I get to be the man!”

David tapped his forehead against the glass. He took deep regular breaths. “I am not invisible.” It was funny but not at the same time. Maybe, a little bit, He felt that way. Unconnected. Lost. Like the world is the same but somehow he is different. “But I am in some trouble and I need someone I think and know I can trust. Someone-on the outside.” David could hear that Jason had stepped away from the phone and he was yelling at someone to give him peace. Then a burst of static as the phone was picked up again.

“David I'm sorry, my niece is picking up viola lessons and just as you started talking the shards of uneven crazy death started raining down. She needs a quieter hobby. What exactly is it that's the problem David?”

“Well Jason that's the problem. I'm not exactly sure. What I really need is a ride and a few bucks for cloths. I'll be happy to repay you once I get re situated. Right now I'm just trying to excersize a little discretion. I have money. I just don't have access to it right now. I need help.”

“Alright man. Where are you?”

“Brownstown. Theres a station Before the bridge.”

“I know it. Listen. I have to cancel a couple appointments first. Can you hang tight for a couple hours? I'll get there as soon as I can. My niece is here and all.”

“Just please come. I'm not going anywhere.”

“Geeze man, you don't sound too good. Just stay there. I will get there. I promise.”

The line clicked. It had started to rain. The drops startled him and he realized suddenly they probably shouldn't have and that made him more nervous. What had he gotten into last night? Why couldn't he remember s**t? Why was he in the woods miles away from the lab? But for a moment, the splattering rain triggered something in his mind. There was a flash of light. Lots of rain and darkness. In one of the flashes. He saw something. Something terrible but the revelation was broken by a stubbern pounding on the glass behind him. He turned. There was a man in a dark suit and hat. He fumbled a bit with the umbrella he'd used. “Can I help you with something?”

“Well,” the man said. “If you're just going to pray to it, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me use it first.”

“David looked at the reciever. It felt almost alien to him. Small looking. Another flash. There was something. Something in the rain. It-

“Hey!” The man rapped the tip of the umbrella on the glass again. “Do you see this rain? Now come on.”

He hung the reciever up and folded the door back and stepped out. The man gave him a callus look mixed with confusion and perhaps even a tinge of fear after getting a better look at how David was atired, or rather un-atired. The air was cold and the rain bleated his face and body. He needed to get warm. Attached to the gas station was a small repair shop. One of the two retractable doors was up a little ways. Just enough for him to slide under. It was dark. There were no verticals, just walls of smattered tools and some equipment scattered about. He saw a couple lockers to one side and found a dark colored, short sleeve shirt and a pair of less raggity jeans than the tattered remains he wore. They were a little long but good enough. He also borrowed a green rain poncho off of a hook, a can of coke from a small fridge and bag of pretsles. He was feeling very weak and tired and was quite dehydrated. Nothing like this had ever happened to him before. There were nightmares but this-this was something else. Was he sleep walking now? No. Too far. “Then we'd really be in trouble.”

Back outside, the weather had taken a turn for the worse. The sky had darkened and there was more rain. David stood in the shadows. He must have stood for hours before a brown, for door car pulled into the lot. It went bast the booth then stopped. That must be him. David darted out of the dark and up to the passenger door. Peaking in, he saw Jason motioning for him to get in and he quickly did. “Thanks for coming man. If you cam just get me home, that'd be great. It's north Brownstown. Mason Street.” Davids words trailed off. The motion of the car rocked him off into a long needed quiet dream.


The next thing David knew he was awake and staring up at the white cealing of his bedroom. He was alone and wearing white boxers. He felt quite rested. Energized even. Better than he'd felt in a while actually. He showered quickly and watched news while he ate breakfast. The storm last night was bad. Trees uprooted, lines down. Several lightning strikes. It was the lightning. There was-something in the window. He moved closer to the kitchen. It was-something in the background. Something he couldn't quite see. The screen flashed again. He began to reach out but the phone rang and it shook him from his trance. He went to the wall. “Banner.”

“David it's Helena. Are you alright?”

“Well, for the most part, I'd say I'm doing alright. Of course there's always things to complain about but it's early. What's the problem?”

“Have you had a look at your car?”

“My car? No. I mean- not since last night. Why? Are you spying on me?”

“No silly. But what I am going to do is pick you up in about twenty minuets. Maybe you have great insurance. The police probably just want to ask you some basic questions. I told them you're not a partier but-”

“Wait-wait what? Helena what the hell are you talking about. There is nothing wrong with the car. I'll bet you.” David went out into the damp, chilly morning in his boxers. He walked down to his spot and was disheartened to see his ride was not there. “Damn. It's not here.”

“No s**t Mason. I'm telling you, it's by the complex. Up on the north end. Did you have a late meeting?”

David looked hard in all directions. He was beginning to become agitated. Why could he not remember were his car was? Helena seemed to know. He knew he'd wanted to keep her at more of a distance but right now he couldn't even remember why he wanted to do that. It was as though a portion of his life had been scooped up and why were the police looking at his car? That couldn't be good. “Well thank you Helena for at lest not telling them im a drunk. Honestly I'm not sure exactly what's going on. Maybe the faster you get here the better.”

“David, it's alright. I'll be there soon. It's just good to hear your voice. Alright. Bye.”

“Hear my voice?” David stepped back inside shaking his head. It sounded like now it was Helanas turn to be dramatic. Maybe she was right. Maybe he got wasted and crashed. At lest it would explain things.



She rang him again as she pulled up. He'd dressed in jeans and a long sleeve shirt and had crammed some items into a duffel bag. He went out to her blue sedan and they were quickly off. She looked him hard over. He looked tense but otherwise good. Maybe a little too good. “How do you feel?”

David gave her a sarcastic glare. “I feel fine doctor! How about you? Next question.”

“Um- okay. How about security found your car at the bottom of the north ridge.”

“What?”

“Upside down. Wrapped around a tree. Like bad. How does that make you feel?”

“What kind of question is that? Psychological double talk. I must have driven home right?”

“So, someone stole your car.”

“It would appear so.”


The rain had begun to subside by the time Helena had driven as far up the ridge as was allowed. There was a police car and a red flare burned on the other side of the curved, two lane road. They got out and the officer nodded them through. It was just a bit farther. Now David saw the tow rig. It was near the edge, right up against the rail. Its weight shifted slightly in the dirt as the wench released shreaking protests in its winding. There was a sherriff. He was standing next to the drivers window. He raised his hat some as they approached and said something to the driver as he stepped away. “So I'm going to take a highly educated guess one of you kid scientists is David Banner. Would I be correct in that assumption?”

“Yes sir you would. I'm Banner.”

“Well Mr. Banner I've been in this business for many many years. I've seen a lit of crazy s**t. But I've never seen anyone walk away from what happened here last night. Come here. Come on.” The sheriff motioned for them to follow him around the front of the truck. He pointed just down the hill. “Yep, there it is. Here we go. Yeah it, cleared a few of the bigger trees there that might have stopped it and it landed, well, way down there. It's a little hard to see from this angle but you can see what's left. It hit that big oak like it had eyes. Gas tank went flying. No fire thank god. No bodies either. No blood.”

David was starting to feel sick. He watched the ropes, slowly inching his U shaped car up the slope. He couldn't believe it. It just didn't make any sense. He felt a slight tremor in his left hand he quickly squeezed a fist. He gritted his teeth.

“David. What's wrong?” Helena touched his shoulder. He looked like he were a million miles away. He looked at her. At her, but more past her. Almost like he was looking at something behind her. But he was. Suddenly David walked past her. He started walking along the side of the road. After a short time he stopped. He crouched down and retrieved his wallet. It was half submerged in a the muck but David had seen its edge sticking up. Helena was fast behind him. “So then you were here.” He opened the wallet His cards were intact. At lest he had his life back. He slapped it closed. Hard enough to get her just a bit of wet spray, to an immediate gesture of displeasure. “So do you want to tell me what the hell is going on David? That sheriff is going to need something.”

David took a deep breath. Something was wrong. Off somehow. He could feel it but he resisted telling Helena. He didn't even know what to tell her. He looked at the man quickly. “I don't know. I guess I'll just tell him someone stole my car.”

“Right and when were you planning on reporting that?”

“What? Right now.”

“But Davi-”

He thrust his hand up and walked away. He went back to the rail. “Alright sheriff here's the story. Last night someone stole my car and it was the middle of-” There was a sudden flash in Davids minds eye. A vision. A picture in his head. A reflection in the rain. A revelation in a flash of lightning. “-in the rain.” His voice trailed off as he stepped closer to look down. His car was nearly bent in two. Incredible.

“You okay son? You really have no idea how your car ended up like it did?”

David shook his head sheepishly. “I know it wasn't me.”




two days later




The project was over. No more case studies. No real reason for David to remain but for now this issue with his car. Less of an issue now, more a dead weight. But the event did make the next days local paper. It was the cover story, much to David's shuggrin. It was an awful wreak. You wouldn't think anyone could survive. The headline read; Local scientists car found mangled at bottom of ridge. Incredibly, no report of victims. David sipped coffee and enjoyed the quiet out on the balcony. He often thought about Rachel in these moments. The quiet smiles they would share. So many times he thought about moving. He should really All of this is torture. “All of it. All those people and I didn't find it. We didn't find anything. Not one shread. I guess there was nothing to find.”

“Yes there was.”

“It was the voice. The one no one else could hear. Mostly it told him things he didn't want to hear. Things he shouldn't know.

“There is something. You just have to know where to look. There are going to be more questions about your car David. Sherrif “Doo Duty” isn't going to believe the lie and now with the reporter sniffing around we could be as good as dead!”

“Wait what. Reporter? What am I even saying.” He pounded his elbows on the table. Please just stop.”

“Don't you want a chance to save here.”

“We've already been through this. I can't. No matter what I do.”

“The answer lies in your dreams.”




“Hypnosis? You want me to hypnotize you? That's a first. You don't think you're rushing a bit. There's no way you were in that car David.”

“Why are you yelling at me in a whisper? David cast a paranoid glance around the cafe and in deed he caught a couple curious want-to-knows. That damn photo.

“That damn photo.”

He shot her a wry look. “What are you talking about?”

Helena snapped a piece of carrott off in her mouth and dropped the rest in the bowl. “I thought you were dead David. I thought they were going to go down there and find you and that would be it. It's just, you know, it's great they didn't.”

“Helena.”

“What.”

“Stop being so paranoid. I wasn't in my car because someone else was out for a joy ride. Maybe it'd be different if I could remember anything but I can't and I dont know why I cant. That's why I want to do a regression. Just one. See what I missed. We have the iso chamber.”

“Alright. Fine, I'll do it. I'll check the log first and make sure no one will disturb us. But David, you know the risks as well as I do. Dont find more than you are looking for down there. How soon do you want to do it?”

“Soon. Tonight even. Unless, you have plans.”

“Plans? Hmmm. Let me think. Nope. I'd rather hypnotize you.”

“Funny girl. Sometimes you are.”

“Yeah. I bet I'm cute too huh.”

“Yeah don't push it.





The isolation chamber was ruffly the size of a trailer home. It was divided into two self contained environments and constructed of steel and concrete. Each side was fitted with its own comm. And air systems. The safest rooms around. Inside there was ample room to move around although they were not furnished. The walls were dark steel. The front end of it had two wide, darkly tinted windows. There was a single bed which was dressed next to the head was a table. Atop it were several devices attached to a laptop. It took Helena a few moments to attach the head piece. It was super quiet. It was just the two of them. She wanted to kiss him but did resist it. She applied several monitors to his body. “Alright, that's good. Now just lay there and relax. Don't touch anything. Just look at the light okay. Think you can handle that?”

“He smiled up at her. “Got it doc. Yeah, maybe at some point you could turn it off. That might be better.”

“Ha ha.” She turned away and left the main room.

He could her stepping onto the grated walkway and pushing the sealed door closed. Now he was trapped. There was no way out of here. It had been tested. He ran his right hand across the smooth cold steel. Inches thick.

“Alright David. I'm at the control station. Can you hear me?”

“Yes Helena. Loud and clear.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Fine. I'm not a clostrophobe but I wouldn't want to stay in here forever.”

“That's understandable. Right now David I want you to

do is considerate on your breathing. In through your nose, out through your mouth. I want you to focus on my voice and stare only at the light. Now David-”



There was a wall of blowing sand in front of him. He could feel a heat on his back and he turned around. The landscape was covered in brown, rolling dunes. The sun was hot and blasted down from all directions. There was no sign which way to go. He started off. He didn't get very far before something mad a noise behind him where he was sure there could have nothing. But something was there. Something large and evil looking. It charged and was on him in a blink. It pushed him up into the air with great force. It felt as though he hung in the air forever. Then he was down with a sharp thud along the angled edge of a dune. Trapped. He looked up. His eyes were blurred by the sun and sand. He couldn't see much if anything. Then it grabbed him by the shoulder, hard and flung him another distance. This time David came to a sliding hault almost in a fetal position.

Somehow David got to his feet. It had begun to rain. Curious rain but it somehow felt familiar. He watched the hot drops splash in his hands. It distracted him. He was hit again. This time in the chest. He was thrown again. It hurt. It made him mad. Whatever this thing was it was about to get the fight it was asking for. “Come on!”

The angry fog was on him from behind. It gripped his neck. He felt it begin to raise him up. His feet left the sand. It was then he saw the beasts eyes. Cold. Evil eyes of death. For a moment he was sure he'd seen them before. Yes. He had. But was it this mad creature? The thing would not release its grip and it was getting to be more than David could take. He was getting angry.

“David listen to me. You have to listen to my voice now.

I'm going to count to three and when I get to three you're going to wake up. Now come on David.” Helena looked nervously at the desktop readouts. There was something in the nurologic scan that didn't look quite right. One hell of a dream. He hadn't said anything in over five minuits. She thought she'd let him drift too far but now it seemed he was coming back and had perhaps brought something with him. She could see the increase in stress on his face on the cam. “One. Two. Three. Wake up David.”

“I saw you.” David jolted up. His hands went immediately to his neck but now there was nothing. He was alone in the chamber. He touched his chest, sure to feel pressure from the beating but of course there was nothing but it felt so real.

“This thing tried to kill me Helena and when I threatened to retaliate it picked me up and was about to squash me like this can. I couldn't stop it.”

“Maybe you didn't want to.”

“You think this is just my ego. No. No. This was something else. I looked this thing in the eye and it was like-I don't know. It was like I was there. You know.”

Helena stood from her chair at the station and took his cup. She went across the room to get warm refills. “No, I dont know David. Where?”

“For a second I was there, where my car crashed. It-started to rain. That's why it happened. That's why I crashed. I couldn't stop in the rain. He was there.”

Helene stopped just short of filling his cup. He looked up at him slowly. “He? He who?”

“I think I saw it.”

“It? It what?”

“Did I say anything while I was-hypnotized? Did it work?”

“Um-well yes. I felt like I was getting somewhere. You were talking about the rain and how mad it was making you having to be in it.”

“Then what? What happened after that?”

“Well nothing. You drifted off. I kept trying to bring you back but then I didn't have to. You had your little dream and the countdown worked. It usually does.” She poured finally. He dodged the question. Why?

“That means I was there last night. I was there. My wallet was there. Right?”

She agreed. “Well what did you see in the dream. Was it anything like the others? Did you see-”

“No no. It was nothing like that. I'd think it was crazy myself accept when I looked in its eyes. I know I've seen them before. In the water. In the rain. Looking back at me. I couldn't stop it Helena. I couldn't-” David stutter stepped forward a bit. He shook his head.

Helena grabbed his shoulders. “David what's wrong? Tell me.”

“Just tired. You know that bed's actually pretty comfortable. I think I might lie down for another couple hours. You dont have to stay. I'll be alright.”

“It's fine. I'll stay. Never know. You might accidentally divulge the secrets of the universe. Cant miss that.”

“Strange but true. But do me a favor and dim the light.”

“Need help with the-”

“Nope.”



How are you feeling David?”

“The question rang through his mind. So many times she'd ask him. All he ever really did was lie. Lie to everyone. To himself. How many times had he held it all in. They were standing together outside, where she liked to stand. Sometimes she just rambled on and he only pretended to be interested. There was always a part of him that was preoccupied. Analyzing, looking at things in a different way. Sometimes David would notice Helenas hair. The way the sun glinted off of it and sparkled in his eye. He focused on this and it reminded him of the way she let him play with her hair when they would lie on the sandy beach in front of their home. He could feel the warmth of her. He could feel her life. But suddenly things changed and there she was. Laughing. Reaching out to him. He tried to grab her. To touch her hand and she was right there in the passenger seat but he just could not. She was right there! Why couldn't he touch her!


Helena was too tired now to refill her mug. Maybe David was right. He probably had the better idea. She glanced at the cam monitor. As she did, the manual readout started twitching quickly back and forth. Curious, she set her mug down and took a closer look. Then the read out gained speed and intensity. One one of the screens was a 3 d display of Davids brain. There were a few areas showing elevated outputs. The computer was compiling. Whatever it was it was happening fast. She was able to zoom the camera in a fare amount. She could see his face and upper torso clearly. He was sweating quite a bit and looked agitated. “Computer, confirm recording data.”

~Data record confirm

“Good.” She looked at the paper readout again. It was coming out faster now. “David. Oh no.”

“I don't know how I did it. But somehow I got that door open!”

“I ran into that room and all I could see all around me was fire and smoke. I found her. I get her out and as soon as I did the whole house blew up. I mean blue up. Something like you never saw.”

“I pulled and pulled.”

“David!”

“What is the common denominator!”

“What was it?”

“I'm not sure exactly. Something I couldn't stop.”

“I tried and I lifted that bar and I pulled him out from under there with one hand and that bar went down with the loudest bang ever.”

“David!”

It was her voice. Again. Screaming up at him through the glass and smoke and fire. Again. She was right there. Almost close enough to touch. “Rachel!”

Calling his wives name startled Helena. She was watching the readouts. Then something caught here attention. It was David. The expression on his face was one of struggle. Like he were fighting some invisible force but there was something else. Something altogether different which she could not explain and was additionally troubling. Hes skin was changing color. It really was. She played with the output but it was not a glitch what was happening. He looked mad, or in pain. She could hear his fists when they would pound into the bed. He was pounding harder now. The paper was flying out now so she cut it off. The computer could handle things. Temporal readings continued to increase. There was something happening in Davids mind. He was locked in a conflict. Fighting with himself for control. Then he yelled out again

“I just cant take it anymore! Ahhhhhhhh!”

Helena eased back from the camera. Surprised buy another sudden outburst. His eyes flashed open “David! Oh my god!” He had the eyes of a demon. Almost entirely white with two black dots. The began to shake wildly in their sockets and Davids movements became more violent. She grabbed the microphone but looking at him was hesitant what to say. Something had set him off but she'd only read about rumors of physical alterations. But this was something else. Something was seriously wrong. He needed to wake up was all. “David! Now David its Helena. Can you hear me David? I need you to wake up now. I'm going to count to three. When I get to three you're going to-wake-up.” Even as she spoke she could see no words were going to snap David out of it. It wasn't just his skin that was changing. It was his body. It was growing. Had he been wearing a shirt is surely would have torn. His skin had changed to a strange greenish gray and his stomach was getting huge and ripped. It filled the screen. “David?” She could hear sound from the room but not talking. She turned the volume up. It sounded like an angry caged animal. “David. Please.” The monitor went blank. She worked the controls but it was out. “Alright. Fine.”

She stepped down from the control booth and went and faced the chamber. She could see movement but it was away from the glass but suddenly the table smashed apart. It did nothing to the glass but caused Helenas heart to sink. “What had just happened?” There was another angry roar. The room was soundproof but the energy from whatever was in there now found a way out and the sound resonated through her and she became scaird.

Then the glass was charged. It was large. Like a very large man, but different. It's face was shrouded in shadow but she knew if she could see it, it would be angry. It began punching at the glass. At first, it did nothing but as the creature punched and kicked it was able to loosen the window section from the rest of the chamber. Now every onslaught pushed it out a little more and the glass its self was bulging and and giving off flakes of dust as the creature pounded away.

Helena backed away quickly. She turned and ran for the ramp which led up to the door to the room but half way up she stopped. She looked at the chamber. The creature continued to make progress. It was impossibly strong and sounded quite angry but there was no way in hell that thing got in there and it didn't just appear. She turned and went back down and to the console. She gripped the mike. “David! Listen to me. I know you can hear me. Just listen to the sound of my-”

One window section blasted out. It struck the low end of the control booth and there was an explosion and a shower of sparks. The booth tipped forward and Helena was thrown. She hit the floor hard as the tattered booth fell upon her. The creature could not fit through the opening. This enraged it and it began kicking at the other window. It kicked and punched until the section dropped out. Then it bent the top part of the opening up with little effort and it climbed out. It was perspiring profusely. It's hair was dark green and wet. It's eyes were that of a possessed person and its body was a massive green gray. It growled loudly, turning to the chamber. It decided enough was enough was enough and began pounding on it and punching. Then it summoned an incredible strength and lifted on end of the chamber into the air and threw it across the room. It several data processing towers and there was another explosion and now there were two fires burning. On there and the other around Helena, who was semi- consious and pinned under debris. The creature raged around the room. It picked the chamber up again and threw it to the other end of the room, crashing it into more equipment. There was a third explosion and a strong electrical discharge and a portion of the roof was ripped away and now the smoke and fire could escape. The fire suppression system activated but the room was already out of control. The water only enraged the creature and it started to grab and punch at the sprayers, managing to knock a few of them out of place.

Now the creature looked for an escape. It looked at the wall strait ahead and set to charge but something stopped it. A sound. A shallow voice. An echo. Something strange yet strangely familiar.

“David. Please.”

The creature whipped around. It saw the fire and smoke. Then it looked down and could see Helena. She was a bleeding mess. It was taking all she had to call to him and lift her hand out of the debris trying to get his attention. It did the trick. The creature stood there for a moment and seemed to understand what it should do. With one large hand it pulled the debris away and with the other it scooped Helena up. Just as it did there was a large explosion and the creature pitched forward but quickly regained its stance. It bellowed. Then it went to the wall and gave it a firm punch and a kick. It made quick work of the brick and was outside.


MacGee was sitting in his car. He was was going over his notes and waiting for Dr. Banner and/or Mrs. Markus to come out. There just was something not right about their stories. The sheriff knew it too. The roof explosion and rumbling cry of some animal jolted him. He could instantly see the fire and smoke now pouring from the hole. “Holy hell! What are they doing in there? I knew there was a story here. I just knew it. He quickly grabbed his camera and cell phone, dialing 911 as he stepped out. “Yes. There's been an explosion at the Hammond Carter center. It's the main building. There's fire coming from the roof around the left rear. A few people are running out the front now. There's a lot of smoke.” Macgee slipped his phone into a pocket of his jeans and he made his way quickly the side of the building. As he got closer a portion of the wall broke outward and through a burst of smoke he saw the silhouette of something very large. For a moment, Jason was stunned, then he came to his senses and aimed his camera. He took two shots before an explosion shook his feet. He lost his balance and the camera left his hands as he fell. But he never took his eyes off the smoke and the dark shape which had emerged from the building. It had the shape of a man but was impossibly large for a human. It seemed to be carrying something in one hand but Jason was a bit disorientated and could not see clearly through the smoke and now the shape had moved off into the trees. It was gone. He could hear sirens in the distance.


The creature walked quickly. The trees slowed It down some. Finally it came to an open area with a pond. It felt tired and knelt in the dirt and dry leaves. It's thick fingers uncurled and revealed Helena. It laied her on the ground. She touched his hand, gripping it as tightly as she could. She looked into its eyes. It looked at her, but she could not know how much it understood but she knew now. “Oh David. My poor David. Why didn't-you tell me. Who will take care of you now?” She passed out This angered the creature and it let out a defiant cry which echoed through the woods and pierced MacGees ears. The creature fell back and staggered to its feet before running off, dissapearing into the evening shadow.


David found himself lying face down in a shallow creek bed. He jerked himself up for air. It was like being pulled suddenly from nightmare one knows they've had but cannot remember and the confusion which can follow. Though, this was no dream. It had happened again. He'd lost time and again found himself in the middle of nowhere. Was someone trying to kill him? Drown him out here in the woods. He looked around frantically but there was no one to be seen and his cloths. God. He seemed to remember going to sleep but not outside. He stood uneasily and stepped toward the embankment. He was able to get out of the bed but looking around he was again lost.

“David.”

“Helena. I-I saw fire. Jesus. She's hurt. What the hell am I doing out here!” David pounded his hand into his fist. Now the images were flooding back. There was smoke and some electrical explosions. She was reaching out but it was like he could not quite touch her. She called his name. It echoed though his mind again and again. “Ahhhhhhhh!” The visions were too much for David especially in his weakened state. He again succumb to his private rage. It brewed and brewed within him. Calling his name. Blasting the faces across his minds eye in endless torture. The creature was manifest. It started running. It ran and ran. It was going too fast when it reached the edge of a drop off, taking a length of fence down into the cold, flowing rapids. The frothy water was too much even for the monster. It pulled him in all directions as he tried to fight.


The creature was too hulking to swim and too enraged to drown. It continued to fight the current until at some point the rapids receded. It stumbled through the marsh and reeds, finally kneeling on wet grass. The beast had nothing more to give. It was time to give it all back.

Then David awoke. His strange surroundings now beginning to feel more natural. His mind was nothing but a jumble of images. Nothing much made sense and he was naked. Completely this time. Not a thread on his body. He look all around and saw he was in an open area of field not far from an overpass. Some unknown stretch of road. At lest he knew which way to go, but he knew something bad had happened. He wasn't sure exactly what just yet, but is instincts told him he was in serious trouble. He would need to get back to his apartment. Gather some things. Send some E-mails. No time for long good-byes. It wasn't like he'd gotten that close to anyone really. Except for Helena. But whatever this was. Whatever was causing him to black out like this, he didn't want to involve her. If he really did do that to the car than he might be dangerous somehow. How was he behaving while he was gone? Too many questions, not enough time for answers.

David managed to stay mostly in the evening shadows and made his way back to his apartment where he set about several tasks. In a short time he'd packed a back pack and a duffel. He sat on the edge of his bed and thought about things for a while. Trying to sort the memories out. What had he been doing? “Come on dummy, what did you do this time? That's it! The dreams and the-” David stood slowly, his blood turning slowly to ice water. “I saw you again. I saw you in the water and it was you that attacked me-in the dream. Who are you?” He moved toward a long mirror, He gave himself a long glare. “Why do you look like me?”

Then another thought dawned on him. Helena was there wasn't she? Yes! Damn, now she was involved and may know more even than he did. He felt like his whole world had been flipped up side down and there was no one he could trust. Jason maybe? Again? He was surely gone by now, the crash was days ago. He would get a cab and make a quick stop at the lab and check on things. Check on Helena before he left, just to make sure.

David asked the driver to park in a lot about a block from the facility. He got out and headed on. The guard at the gate recognized him. Didn't even ask for his I.d. But he did mention the fire and police activity he could see the beginnings of in the darkening night.

“If it isn't one thing it's another. First someone steals your car and crashes it, now some nut tried to blow up the lab? Doc. You have any idea what's really going on here? Is there something I should know about?”

David turned and looked at him. “I really wish I knew partner.” He headed on down the curved path to the main lot but he cut into the woods and managed to get around to the side of the building where the activity was. There were two long engines, an ambulance and two police. The truck along the near end was still spraying. He could hear the hum of the generator spot lights. “I don't believe this.” He needed to get a closer look. There was still smoke coming out of the top of the building. He came out from the brush some, still in the shadows. He looked past the truck and saw a huge hole in the side of the wall. Nearly top to bottom. A creepy sinking feeling crept across Davids spine.

He took a step back. One, then another. On the third he knew he was not as alone in the shadows as he thought. He spun around to see Jason facing him serveral feet back in the shadow. He stepped forward wearing a dark trench coat and curved cap and gloves. “MacGee? Jesus. What are you still doing here?”

“Well actually Dr. I've been waiting to talk to you. You see it's just that I do a bit of pi work for the state and with you calling me and all and your car. Now this huge explosion. Hell Doc. I'm starting to think I might retire in good old BrownsTown. Hell, why not. It's not Area 52 but who likes the desert. You know something Doc?”

“What.”

“I'm not a betting man. But if I was I would bet a million dollars if I ask you if you know anything at all about this-explosion, you're going to tell me no. Now what would you say the odds of that would be? Huh?”

David grinned sheepishly. “Well Jason, you got me there. I see the hole in the wall same as you but I'll be damned if- Helena.” David grabbed his shoulder. “What about Helena!”

“She was severely injured and suffered smoke inhalation. Several other people were effected as well. I believe she is still in the hospital but I couldn't tell you where.”

“I bet you could find out.”

“You really have no idea what's going on do you? It happened again didn't it? You woke up in a strange place, filthy, covered in sweat. Naked. All of it.”

“It did. Yeah. Earlier probably. Or I could have lost a day I'm not sure. Jason please. Please find her. I know something awful has happened. Whatever it, I need to get out of here. I don't want to even talk to the cops. But I have to see her. If there might be even a chance I had something to do with this it must be part of something larger. Something science.”

“Yeah don't get too weird on me Doc. I don't want to know all the hows and whys of everything just yet but I'll get you to her. But lets go now. The cops have been coming and going.”

“Right. Well I have to pay my cab.”


Having a physicians I.d. Will get you into most doors in a hospital if you need something badly enough or would like to see a patient you know, or you have a buddy who is a nosy pi with a tenancy towards distraction. It can be just enough time. It can be all the time in the world.

Helenas bed faced a long window overlooking a brick pathed courtyard. She breathed with the assistance of a thin tube. She wore a blue a white cap. Obviously her nice flowing hair had been ruined. Steps closer to her were hard. She could be miles away, or everywhere.

“Remember David.”

“Remember what?”

“We are all star light.”

David always knew what she'd meant when she said that but pretended he didn't. He touched her hand lightly. “I lied. I knew about the star light theory. I-thought it might be fun to listen to you explain it. I don't know. Listen, I have to go. I have to get out of here. God Helena I wish you could hear me. Something happened at the lab. When you wake up, the police are going to want to know what happened. “Did I do this to you?

They might conclude I did. Everyone knows we work together. I'm sorry Helena. There's a note on your desk, You'll read it- when you're ready. I have to figure things out. Whatever I'm involved with is too dangerous and unpredictable. I think I might need to be isolated. You just get better. Again, I'm sorry for everything.”

They were out of the hospital and back in MacGees care. Jason took a long breath. “David I want you to listen to me. Whatever happened at the lab, I don't think it was your fault. Why would you want to blow your partner up? No. I think we are dealing with something bigger than you. Maybe there's something going on at that lab even you aren't supposed to know about. Maybe you and Ms. Marcus weren't supposed to be there tonight and got in the way. She ends up clinging to life and you end up in the woods. Again. Why would-I don't care. It's just that there is a pattern starting to develop and when things start blowing up I tend to want to follow the smoke. So what's your next move David?”

“No one else has seen me besides you since the explosion. That's good. Here's what I want. This is want I need Jason and I think you're just the man to get it to work. It has to. I need you to get me declared dead.”

“What!”

“I'm serious. Dead! Do it-I don't know-any way you can. Talk to the cops. Ask about bodies. You'll have to declare me missing. I don't have family around here. Helena might miss me after a day or three but this needs to happen fast. Tell them I blew up or something.”

Jason finished the laugh he'd tried to keep contained. This was really turning into an extraordinary encounter. Dr. Strange wants to go dark. Doesn't know why. It had just enough creepy in it to keep him up. “David, listen to yourself. Being declared dead isn't going to make things any easier for you. The best thing for you to do is talk to the right people. You don't want to go to these cops, go to the County court house. Someone will listen to you there.”

“Jason I can't take the risk. Not when innocent people are getting hurt. You saw my car. There are other gaps in my memory. When I come back. When I'm in the woods and looking up and the trees look like they are spinning around me and they are. It's like my thoughts dont fit together. I see things but at random. I do remember fire. I remember hot”

Jason gripped the wheel. He thought he should be recording all of this rambling David was doing. It might be useful later. “So now you're saying you were in the lab?” David come on. It's hard for me to help you if you won't help me. Are you playing me? Huh? Did you set fire to the lab for someone? Maybe afraid I might sniff something out? Maybe you're attracting all this attention to yourself on purpose. Are you trying to be like the infamous Travis Dalton. Do something you shouldn't and blame it on aliens so you never get caught. But I know we're not talking about little green men here.”

“I don't know. That's the problem. I-I can remember up to a certain point and then.”

“Then what.”

“Then nothing. It's like I'm not there. When I find myself again I get flashes. Pieces of things. If I think hard enough I can start to piece things together. All I can remember is taking a rest. I sleep there all the time. If I had been there you'd think I would have done something, right? Why didn't I? Why didn't I save Helena?”

“Who knows David. Maybe you're a very sound sleep walker. Maybe it's just like you say. You weren't there, or in that part of the lab anyway but Helena was. Unlucky for her.”

“More so for me. Will you you help me Jason. Get me out of dodge. See how fast you can erase me. Cover my tracks. I'll pay you.”

Jason laughed again. “No you won't and I'm not taking your money. Sure Doc. You think you're in over your head. I've seen stranger things, even thought I saw bigfoot in the woods once, but if you get away, ill take you a ways. I'll do what I can about your-identity. What about Helena? What will she say? What if-”

“Not everything can be helped. As badly as I want her to recover, I'll be long gone before she will be ready to talk. She can say whatever she wants.”

“Fair enough. So where too.”

“West.”

“West. Mountains or plains.”

“Mountains.”

“Got it.”



The air was cooler as they got closer to the line of the rockies. Jason was tired and tired of driving and David had been asleep for hours and he'd stayed put. The man looked exhausted.

Sometimes all you needed was a good nights sleep and that's just what Jason had in mind. It was still a few hours til dawn. He found a not to shabby off road motel and got them each a room. He practically had to carry David in. He set him down in the queen bed, did an about face and walked out,closing the door behind him. There was a really small bar attached to the motel and the neon arrow was on so he took a chance.

He was in luck and limited service was available. There was only liquor and small glasses. There were scattered small bowls of penuts and the walls were covered in old license plates and the pelts of small animals. Jason ordered and slinked off to a tight corner table. He took out his palm cam. He'd kept meaning to look at some of the lab shots, just hadn't gotten a moment and waiting around knowing David would pop up. Mr. Invisible. He scrolled through the shots. The camera was glitching. Something was wrong. “Damn.” He found the shots he really wanted to see. Ones just after the hole in the wall was made. There's a lot of light coming from the hole and smoke. The fire coming out of the roof lights the trees above the roof. The upper portion of the image was distorted, an artifact of its being dropped during the explosion. Careless. But there was nothing peculear in the image. He moved to the next shot. “Jesus. What the hell is that?” The light from beyond the hole was now blocked by something. The smoke, angle and distortion made it too difficult to tell what it was but there looked to be some sort of shape in or around the hole.

Jason sipped his strong beverage. Deffinatly just one. Hooo, that mountain air can make you see crazy things. He scrolled to the next image and saw something. “Incredible. Oh David. This is way bigger than you. It's friggin big foot. I bullshitted him. I never saw big foot. Killed a fox once with an eight guage. Blew his head clean off.” He laughed. “Brought that son of a b***h home and mom never smacked the hell out of my a*s before and then she yelled at dad for a while about blood.” He stared at the image. It was distorted but enough could be seen. There was a large, muscular man in the shadow of the tree line. The lines of his shape were defined by the fire light emanating from the hole and above. It seemed to know it needed to hide. What was that in its left grip. He zoomed in as best he could. “Oh my god. Dr. Marcus. She knows then. Hell they both know what the hell this thing is? Or where it comes from anyways. Jesus. What is it? What stops it, or starts it for that matter? Damn scientists. This looks like it could be a top secret government weapon. Something they made. It's huge for a man. If it is human.” It didn't look very much so but there was not that much detail in the image. What if it was alien? What was David really so afraid of? Was it the creature? It didn't seem like it was coming around. He was tired and finished his drink. Securing his camera he was out and out of it.





EPILOGUE

MYSTERY MAN


Jason did not sleep very well. Every time he closed his eyes he was struck with visions of the explosions and the shadow of something strange. The alarm went off and he felt as though he'd not slept. For a while he sat in bed, pondering his next move. The logical thing was for him to leave David here and return home to his family. Let the locals handle the investigation, but there was something about the doctor that made him want to learn more, especially since David wanted to disappear. He seemed almost desperate but offered no explanation. He seemed scaired and unsure. It was a strange series of events. First the car crash and no body. Then the lab. Jason knew there was a story here, he could smell it but there were only two witnesses. One was in the hospital with critical injuries and the other wanted to become a ghost. He weighed the options and made a decision.

A short time later he rose and dressed, then made his way to Davids room just down the hall. He knocked and David answered right away, seeming rested and a bit calmer. They spoke briefly and David was happy that he was willing to continue on and get him farther away from the city. Soon, they were on their way. A couple hours into the drive, the music on the radio was interrupted by a news bulletin.

~This is an update on a situation we have been following for you in the past few days. There are now five fires burning across three stats. The largest of which, the Penn Meyjer, is only thirty-five percent contained and is looking to continue its course across the southern edge of ------ and may very well cross interstate 64 by the end of the day of the winds don't change. Motorists traveling up through the hills are advised to take caution as conditions can change quickly and are urged to stay tuned to local news for updates. We will provide more information as the situation develops. We now return you to normal broadcast. Thank you.~

“Is there someone you want me to call? Someone who can help? What are you running from David?”

He saw flashes of Helena, lying there, pinned under the debris. “I think I- tried to kill her. I don't know why, or how and I don't know what caused the lab to explode. I can't remember.”

“Alright David. Hey, take it easy. I see you're stressed. Hey look, I'm going to take you as far as I do and then I'm done okay. Hopefully everything works its self out. I won't ever tell anyone I did this.”

“Thank you Jason.”

The road extended over a valley of lush trees and off in the distance there was smoke. David could smell it. He saw the direction it was headed too.

“Did it have anything to do with the experiment you were conducting last night night?” This was a bluff from Jason. David hadn't said anything about an experiment prior to the explosion. Jason had a knack for digging up rocks to turn over.

“Experiment? David scratched his head. Then something flashed into his mind. “It was-Gamma radiation.” A hollow voice echoed. He saw the chair. Then he remembered. Now he knew why he felt so strangely, almost ill. “It was too much.” “Too much.” David murmured.

“What David?”

He shook his head. “Nothing, I'm trying to remember but right now I'm not sure. There may have been an experiment but I never had any intention of harming Helena.” David pressed his lips firmly together on frustration. He was starting to get mad.

“I know that David. I don't believe you tried to hurt her. I just thought while we were on the road you might come up with an answer or too. Maybe tell me a giant monster did it. Maybe something you cooked up in that lap of yours? Huh? Come on.”

At lest David could finally laugh. “Right. Yeah you got me there. It escaped and trashed the lab. At lest no one would ever believe it.”

“Well you would have that going for you. David would you mind rolling your window up that smoke is really on over here and I haven't seen a single water dump. Every year it gets worse and there's always less water.”


After another twenty min. of driving traffic slowed then stopped all together. Jason knew what it meant. The fired had continued its approach to the highway and was threatening to cross. State police were doing warning stops. As they got closer to the checkpoint they could see people were being allowed through. Sort of an at your own risk type of situation. Some people were turning back. No fire could be seen now but there was more smoke and the blue sky had darkened some farther up ahead. The wind had really picked up. Every now and again a small ember would ricochet off the window. “Well David what do you think. Should we ask the sherrif where the cheapest best motel is, or try and get ahead of the fire. I think we can make it.”

“Sure. Lets do it.”

The warning was just for low visibility. The wind would make things appear worse than they are and the accident risk was way higher. Jason soldered on. Now ---- would really kill him when he got home. No, he would have a great lie worked up before then. Something to keep her from freaking out and going on about his phone going right to voice mail, even though he tple her he was going out on business she still thinks he just is going to whip it out every five min the way she does. He'd had it off a little over a day now. It felt good. A quantum of solicit.

Embers from the fire in the distance were hitting the road and car more frequently now. They bounced off he black top and hood, one ricocheting off another. Sometimes in bunches they were picked up by the wind and hurled about. It was pretty but also increasingly dangerous. The smoke had gotten thicker as well. It was dead quiet. Like traveling down the long road to Silent Hill. You know something bad is waiting but still you can't resist. Jason was starting to rethink his decision. Even with the a/c on high he could taste the smoke. He had thus far resisted the urge to cough. The sky was turning a dull brown and long shadows were cast on the curving blacktop. Then suddenly the guard rail was there. It just was. The car hit head on, flipped strait up over and landed hard faceing downon Davids side. The car began immediately to slide and it did, faster and faster. Finally the damaged hood caught to something and the car was flipped forward again, this time landing on its hood and spinning and sliding down the valley slope, snapping trees as it went, finally coming to a rest in dip in the dirt.

The vehicle was immediately engulfed in smoke. It billowed out of the hole and meshed with the smoke in the air.

“Jason!”

He could hear a voice. Someone was yelling a name but it sounded very far away. He could not move and his eyes were sore. He could see only shadows. There was heat all around. He could feel it,

“Jason!”

Then there was light all around and all the feeling left his body.



Jason's eyes slowly rolled open. He found himself seated up against a large tree. He looked around quickly and seeing no one he attempted to stand but that resulted in probably the worst pain he'd ever felt in his life. It shot through him like a clap of thunder. It sat him immediately down. He pushed his back stubbornly against the tree. That hurt too but he liked it. It was turning into one of those days. It was so hot. The air had no taste. If only it would rain.

In another moment, David returned. He'd made the beginnings of a splint. With his pocket knife he used thinner tree skin as rope. He surprised Jason and at first he resisted but David was able to calm him. “Listen Jason. I need you to listen to me very carefully. You've been in a serious accident. I'm not sure if you have a concussion but what I can tell you is your right leg is broken. It's not good. You see the bone is exposed.”

Jason nodded nervously.

“You're going into shock Jason. Just look at me. Look into my eyes alright. You see me. That's right. Just breath. You k now what I have to do before I can put this splint on don't you?”

Jason twitched. “Just do it.”

David squeezed his fists together tightly and took a tight breath. One quick motion and a crunch.

“Ahhh-ahhhhhhhh! Mother frack! How is that better. It hurts more! You're no f*****g doctor anyways. Who the hell are you. Where did-Why are we down here. I was-I was driving. I was driving my car.” Jason pointed. “You. What-did I pick you up? You don't look familiar.”

Now was Davids chance to disappear forever. All he had to do was get Jason back to the highway and get someone to take him to the nearest clinic. God knows where out here. David was all turned around himself. There was smoke everywhere. It hung like puffy clouds in the trees. His eyes were burning. Jasons were swollen and red. He was not thinking clearly and hurt bad. Certainly wasn't walking anywhere weather he wanted to or not. “My name is David. You picked me up a while back. I was looking for a ride. The smoke got bad and we hit the rail. Your leg is broken. But we cant stay here. The fire line could come through at any time and then we're both fracked.”

“What do you suggest we do?”

David took a long, hot, gasping breath. If we wait here, I think there's a chance you might die. I'm not a doctor anymore man, but I used to be. The only option is for us to walk ourselves out of here. The winds will shift and that'll buy us time. What do you say?”

The throbbing from his leg was all Jason could think about. Walking surely was not an option. “No- forget it. No way. I can't. You go. Find help and come back. That's a better plan.”

David shook his head. “No. With my luck you'd be eaten by a bear or vulture or something I'd have to fight off. No thanks. Here. Let me try and get this splint on. Just don't move. I know it hurts. We just have to keep moving.” David worked on the splint for a short time. It wasn't much but it would buy Jason time. Time to get out of the valley and find the road. A road. Any road. But what direction. His eyesight was not the greatest. He could not tell the location of the sun. When he was finished he asked Jason if he was ready to stand and helped him lean up against the tree and get a better hold around his shoulder. Now at lest they could go. David had no choice but to pick a direction at random. It looked all the same and Jason did not seem to object. He did not talk much and David became increasingly concerned. He knew there was no one. No one probably for miles unless he got really lucky. He surged on.

In a pile of dry leaves Davids knees gave out and he slumped forward. Jason went down hard and clutched his leg in pain. David was spent. He just could not go on. The forest had swallowed them up and there seemed no absolution. He rose up and smacked his knees. It was difficult for him to catch his breath and he felt really hot. Crazy hot. It was daring him to continue. David cursed the ground and listened to Jason cry. “He's a goner of you go to sleep.” David summoned his last bits of strength and got Jason back up and they continued on together.

At a certain point it became impossible to continue on in that direction. It was a long wall of tangled brush and vine and it seemed to go up and on for ever. “Damn.” David said. “Well Jason pick a direction.”

“Man. I don't care. Right.”

“Sounds good to me. We're not getting through this crap.”

“This is probably the wrong way.”

“Well what way do you think is right?”

“I don't know.”

They walked forever. The hot hours of exposure caked on and David felt like was just about to explode. He fell again coming out of a wooded area, on dry rock exposed to too much sun. He softened Jasons decent as best as he could. The sun was really blasting through the smoke and was creating a toxic sauna. Through the sweat and smoke and dust David thought just for a second he saw something. Yes. It was a road sign sticking out of the ground. They were closer than he'd thought. But close was now so far away. Davids legs were spent and he was highly dehydrated and just about spitting mad. “Jason. Jason the road. I gotta-set you down just for a second. Damn. David struggled to catch breath. “Come on!” He leaned over Jason and lifted him up. Only so much farther.”

There was a Line of thorny brush near the top of a short hill just before the road. It was a bit too high to climb and David was tired of walking back and forth. The road was right there. He could almost reach out and touch it. He began kicking and pulling at the brush. Stepping in a little at a time with semi-conscious Jason. He kicked and twisted with his free hand and now both his hands bled. The thorns gripped his cloths and cut into his arm. “Jason. I need your help. I-think I'm stuck.” Jason mermered something and looked up slightly. “Damnit!” David tried to pull his back forward but his shirt was stuck in the tangle. He pulled and pulled again. The third try yanked him loose but thorns wielded into his skin and got him good. He jerked forward and caught other barbs in the face and David became enraged.

Jason started to come around a little more. It was the mans yelling. Yelling about how hot he was. He was doped again. The brush stabbed at him. His leg just throbbed. His eyes were not focusing properly. He could see just a blurry outline of the man as he ripped at his cloths and pounded at the dirt. He was having some sort of nervous breakdown. Heat exhaustion maybe. The man screamed out again and he ripped his shirt off. He was on his knees looking at his body but Jason could not see what the problem was. Was he cut that bad. “Hey man, it's just a

few thorns I dont think it's-” but he was cut off by a a sound unlike anything he'd ever heard before. A monstrous, bellowing cry. It coursed through him. The man pounded again and again and the this time he could feel the reverberations in the ground.

The alien groans continued and he heard fabric ripping. The man gave a blood curling cry and Jason involuntarily yelled back. What was this? Was the man being attacked! Then he surely was next. When the man stood, his outline filled Jasons entire view. He could open his eyes just so wide but it was becoming a bit easier to see. The man cleared the remaining brush with his bare hands and in an instant he was over the hill.

The crecher approached the road just as a car was coming by. It pounded at the edge of the road with both fists, turning the lane to dust. The car swerved and swerved again before spinning out. Two more verticals approached. The hulk let out a fierce growl. The delivery truck driver slammed on his breaks, in complete shock. The driver behind him, not registering what he was seeing, started to drive off into the sand to go around, but the very real monster fully stopped his progress. His rear wheels spun wildly, kicking up a lot of dirt. With no effort, the hulk threw the car toward the van and it crashed all the way through, landed in the dirt on the other side of the road with a loud crash and the tires continued spinning and the car took off out of control into the desert. Fast. The creecher Yelled again, flexing its hulking body.

Jason managed to get himself over the hill. The brush was all gone. He could see a little better now but what he saw was just as puzzling as what he'd seen just a moment ago. There was a huge hole in the road and a van that looked like a bomb had gone off inside. It was too hard to think with the pain. Luckily, other verticals came by and he was rescued but he wasn't exactly sure what had happened. Perhaps in time his memory would return.

The mystery man retrieved some cash from an atm and he was gone. On the road. Somewhere, neither here nor there...








© 2019 ParadoxUnlimited


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on May 17, 2019
Last Updated on June 20, 2019
Tags: Hulk, Banner, Comics, Marvel

Author

ParadoxUnlimited
ParadoxUnlimited

About
My name is Scott. I am a professional photographer and writer. more..

Writing