Lettre 13

Lettre 13

A Story by Patches I'm not so new anymore.
"

15 auot 1218

"

Dear Mama & Aunt Jehanne

       The entrance of Count Ramon into Toulouse was every bit as impressive as that of a Roman general entering Rome after defeating an enemy. The citizens of "la Ville Rose" thronged the streets pushing and shoving so that they might get close enough to touch his horse, his boots or a piece of clothing.

 There was laughter, dancing in the streets. I saw the widow Michele Ste Georges, you remember her mama? She was our neighbor in Narbonne, she lost her husband nine years ago at Beziers when Le Boucher burned the city and massacred the population.

  I tried to get her attention but she was busy hugging and kissing M. Orey, a neighbor with whom she had been feuding for years. I heard later that they even danced together at the evenings festivites!

   The weather is pleasant for aout (August) the breeze from the Garonne is surprisingly cool.

 It is now the fourth evening since we took back possession of the city, this night is fair, the people are still celebrating, there has been no thought of of work or normal activity since our return.

   I met the man today Mama, that is responsable for the sucessful defence of Toulouse throughout the siege. He is young, perhaps a few  months older than I. His name is Bernart de la Ville Rose. he is a colonel in the town milita and a troubadour. Who would have guessed that a composer and singer of songs could be a competent soldier?

 But that is the way the French believe. We are Landocian and here a man may be both a soldier and a poet!

 I have listened to him at court Mama and he is good, very good or he would not have attained the rank of troubadour at so early an age. He has offered to teach me the art and I am eager to learn. For this is an occupation suitable for a gentleman, it pleases the ladies and one can earn a good living from it. What more could one ask except to live in peace?

 Oh mama, you and Aunt Jehanne missed a fabulous feast! There was venison pastries served on silver platters, boar meat on gilded dishes, plates filled with choice bits of duck and breast of peahen, sturgeon from the town moat, trout from the Garonne, oysters, eel, shellfish---- and the wines , mon Dieu! Wines from every corner of Occitania, Bordeaux, Albi, Cahors, Foix, Limoges, Provincal---- radishes, turnips served with their greens, breads both dark and light, salt served in silver cellars, peppercorns ground and dispensed from polished pewter grinders.

  For dessert we feasted on apples, grapes, oranges, figs both fresh and dried--- raisins I could go on but have no wish to bore you with details. It is enough to say that this is a feast that will be talked about and marveled over for a long time to come.

    I have the Count's permission to depart for Lecco as soon as possble which will be at most, a sennight. Barnart has asked to accompany me. We will travel to Lecco and home to Narbonne with a contingent of archers and men-at-arms.

                              Your son & nephew

                                      Raphael

  

© 2011 Patches I'm not so new anymore.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Robert...you are becoming a master at this type of writing..perhaps you were brn in the wron century and country..Great going..Kathie

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a victory celebration with a feast fit for kings. neatly conceived new chapter, great write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 12, 2011
Last Updated on May 12, 2011