Missing Mind

Missing Mind

A Story by Aendraelyn Keibetsu
"

This is a second-person POV. I wrote this a while back, and now it's clogging up my drive, so I decided to put it to use. You wake up in a dark alleyway, under a light post, and find...

"

Bright. That was your first thought as you opened your eyes, head aching, vision stained a deep, dark red. A whiteish light was shining down, directly into your face. You blinked, holding your head as colorful spots danced behind your eyelids. Sitting up, you almost fell back over as your left arm collapsed against the ground, sticking at an odd, unnatural angle, causing you to bite back a yelp of pain.


Slowly, this time using solely your right arm, you pushed upwards once more. Leaning against the wall near you, you looked around. It was dark, the only light the one you were under. It was a street light, an old fashioned one, slim and black and glossy. The base twisted upwards, and your eyes continued to follow that pattern, everything seeming twisty and distorted as you inspected your surroundings.


A large, black dumpster sat heavily directly across from you. To your left, far off, lights flashed by, accompanied by the whirring growl of automobiles. Then, your eyes glided to your right, first taking in the brick wall that turned this alleyway into a dead end. Your eyes followed the wall downwards, and your vision tunneled as you found yourself staring at a very real, very dead body.


Stumbling, you made your way towards it, sure that the shadows were playing tricks on your mind. They weren't, you decided, as you fell to your knees once again, your hands staining the same color red that your vision was as you touched the prone form in front of you. Your hands glided over the body in both confusion and wonder, until they were halted by something long and cold.


You pulled at the object, wincing as it cracked through the bones of whoever was in front of you. Inspecting it, you couldn't help but feel that it was familiar to you.  It was a long metal pipe, sharpened into a point at one end, the other melded shut.  You blinked, tipping it over and watching dark blood dribble out from it.  A sick curiosity wound tightly in your stomach, burning hot and setting your nerve endings on fire.


The sound of sirens was blocked out as your vision focused on the blood. Your breathing was heavy as you rubbed your stained fingers together, smearing the substance around. Suddenly, the body was brightly illuminated. You could see it clearly now, and the first thing your eyes were drawn to was  the gaping hole in her chest. She was young, wearing a white dress that barely covered her ample cleavage. It hung loosely, cutting off mid thigh. Small specks of color mottled the fabric. Some were the same shade of red that painted the alley. Others were darker. Older.  


Her long, dark hair was splayed around her, soaked through and darkened. A strand hung across her pale face like seaweed, making her seem as if she had drowned. Black eyes, as dark as night, stared at you accusingly, dull and hateful.


You became aware of your surroundings once more as you were grabbed roughly, pain shooting through your arm as your vision went hazy. Somewhere far off, you heard a small scream, belatedly realizing it was your own. The officer who had you released you instantly, shooting a look at the girl behind you. He blanched, his own messy black hair swinging into his eyes. With a sound of distress, he pushed it back.


"What's your name?" he murmured  as he dragged you upwards, taking care of your decidedly broken arm.


"I-," your voice broke, and you tried again. "I don't- I can't." You struggled to form  words as he took you towards a large white ambulance that stood nearby, waiting. Finally giving up, you shook your head.


He nodded and motioned over the two EMTs, who instantly started examining you. An officer, you couldn't tell if they were male or female, came over and leaned against the side of the vehicle, beginning to question you. "Hello. My name is Officer Bailey Hectig. What's yours?"


The first man had gone to stand next to an older, angrily scowling woman. You couldn't hear what they were saying, but you could understand that they were at a disagreement about something. Slowly, watching them gave you the ability to talk. "I don't know. I can't remember. I'm trying to."


Officer Hectig nodded. "Can you tell me anything about what happened here?" He sounded skeptical.


As he should have. You shook your head. "I just woke up. I was over by that light over there. I s-saw the b-b," you stumbled over the words, feeling horrified as you realized just exactly what had happened.


Hectig nodded sympathetically. "It's alright. Please continue."


"I saw... That. And I went over. I don't think I fully realized what it was. It was too dark to. I pulled the... The, um."


"Weapon." Hectig supplied helpfully.


You nodded. "The weapon. I pulled it out. That's when you got here."


The officer nodded. "We're going to take you to the hospital now to get you treated. One of the detectives will accompany you so that they can ask more in depth questions."


Hours later, after a thorough questioning and a drugged sleep, you awoke to the sound of voices, hushed and angry. Keeping your eyes closed, so as to not alert the people to your presence, you took stock of your injuries.


Your left arm felt heavy, constricted. You were numb all over, most likely of the painkillers they had given you for your arms. Something was curled around your foot, cold and metal and heavy.


You shifted slightly, hissing in annoyance at the feel of your hair scratching against the back of your neck, like spiders skittering over your skin.  Opening your eyes, you focused on the two people standing in front of you.


Noticing that you were awake, if only slightly, they came to stand by your bedside. They said something to you, but you were unable to pick it out from the buzzing sound in your head. As your eyes fluttered shut again, you felt a flash of panic. Something was telling you to not sleep, to escape. A dark instinct, fueled by the need for survival that had kicked in since you woke up in that alleyway. Before you could stop, you were plunged into a soft, velvet blackness.


When you woke up again, you were alone, but for a woman. Her black, gray-streaked hair was cut short, longer at her chin than it was in the back. Just behind her left ear, you could make out a tattoo that was covered in nearly rubbed off concealer. It was small, circular. A flower of some sort was set in the middle.


"Hello," her voice drew your attention back to her. "My name is Detective Focapwir. Officer Hectig said that you were unable to remember anything earlier. Is that any different now?"


You unconsciously shrunk away from her, disliking her nearness. Shaking your head, you spoke, voice quiet and raspy, barely more than a whisper. "I don't, I'm sorry."


She smiled again, this time the corners of her lips curled up in a cruel way. "I wish I could believe you. But unfortunately, I can't. That girl from earlier, we have a video of you killing her. I'm actually quite glad you did, though. You see, she failed the task I set for her. She failed to kill you. But don't worry, I won't," she turned, grabbing the extra pillow that had been behind her head as she waited for you. "It's quite a pity. I prefer knives. There's something poetic about how it just slides in. Like butter. The way you get to watch the light leaving their eyes, dimming slowly as they crumple to the ground, falling into that beautiful dark red pool."


"What? What are you talking about?!"


The woman leaned downwards, pressing her lips softly against your forehead. She moved to your ear, her breath tickling it as she whispered to you, "Tell Mom and Dad that I'll see them in hell."


You cursed your heavy limbs as you struggled. She pressed the pillow against your face, bearing down against it. Doing your best to hold your breath, you clutched weakly at her wrists.


The world, already darkened and deafened, stilled. The darkness that swallowed you this time was not soft or velvety. It was heavy, dark and rough. The air was hot, and each breath you wheezed in hurt your lungs. A red glow flashed nearby.


Bright. That was your first thought, as you walked towards it, the only beacon of light in the endless dark.

© 2015 Aendraelyn Keibetsu


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on November 14, 2015
Last Updated on November 14, 2015