Snow Libraries and Other Things

Snow Libraries and Other Things

A Story by Chloe..Across the Universe
"

Just a soc write ... or stream of conscious ...

"

I am waiting anxiously for snow to cover the ground. Now to those who get snow and are used to having it around in Winter, I may sound silly.. Here in the state of Arkansas snow is a rare commodity.
We have a forecast for snow! It is to be three to six inches! So far... rain .. no white flakes falling other than the dandruff when I scratch my head ... ok, I am kidding .. no dandruff here! haha .. Funny? No? Well, ok then! On with the show ,, oops, I mean snow... where is it? I hope, hope, hope it comes down from the sky soon.. Today was a mad rush at Supermarkets.. see we have to be prepared.. we could be snowed in .. no milk or bread to be found , all the good movies rented and gone .. we have to have supplies and entertainment.. such a silly bunch are we.. Just we never get the snow so ... when it is forecast we sort of lose it and sometimes, sometimes it does not make an appearance. No snowmen, snowballs, snow ice-cream, wait, we can't eat the snow now.. I just hope for snow ya'll.. Do a snow dance for me, please.. ok ?

I just read several chapters in a very good story that made me think of childhood and libraries and treasures.. Most of life's treasures are not of the monetary persuasion.. I have many treasures worth nothing to anyone but me . We all do .. little things like a ceramic fairy from the dollar tree given to me by a little boy .. a little boy given to me .. loaned to me perhaps by God .. this is , he is a big treasure. Treasures are what we make them not what other's think or make..Treasures are just that .. treasures.. now I have gone on and one on this so ...

When i was a child Summer of course was my favorite time of year.. school was out, weather warm amd plenty of time to play and treasure hunt should you like .. The town I grew up in was small.. we could swim in the city pool, go to a movie or go skating .. Once the thrill of the pool. movies and skating wore off .. well then you were on your own .. I found a small musuem downtown and I would go there every day.. usually by myself.. There was a shrunken head in a small glass jar that amazed me. For hours, or what seemed hours as a child, I would stare at this head.. rather small, dark hair and skin .. sort of looked like the ancient Malayans .. and i wondered what kind of person this head once belonged to. Did he have a family? Was he nice or mean? Did it hurt when his head got cut off? It was a mystery this head in a jar of clear liquid.. and i can still see it in my mind's eye.. and in this musuem there was an old fashioned soda fountain.. and there was a confection called a chocolate soda .. it was heaven .. I wish I had one .. so after the musuen got a bit boring, though the head and the chocolate were delights in their own rights.. I discovered the Library..

I loved smelling those books.. the neatness and order the quietness. I wanted to be a librarian for many years.. This Summer I had went just in time to join a book club.. this was a club where you read so many books, report on them and got a certificate.. they chose all but one ..  I was in fourth grade and a good reader so I looked for a more grown up book.. I found To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. I fell into that book with the first paragraph.. I was there with Scout and Gem and Dill and Boo and of course Atticus .. I wanted him for my own daddy.. This was the first book that took me on a journey and gave me a place to go ... and I went so willingly.. When Atticus tells Gem it is a sin to kill a Mocking Bird and he asks why.. he says beacuse they harm no one they only sing to the world to make us happy.. I figured out that the black man in the book, Tom who is accused of rape, a word i didn't fully understand but well enough.. a man who Atticus defends even though his friends and niegfhbors don't agree as he is black and poor and it is a period of time when whites and 'coloreds' dared not be friends ... but Atticus knows Tom is innocent ... and the jury finds him guilty.. and so I figured out the Mocking Bird was Tom .. I did not know it was a metaphor .. still don't know much about those things.. i do know about talking and sharing and escaping in a book and not wanting to come out to your own life which seems so dull by comparison...this is what I did .. as I wait for snow .... Pkease come visit for awhile so I can be a child for just a little while. Just for awhile.

'Love is real , real is love'.. and I do beleive that's true and I do love you .. goodnight fellow night owls.


 

© 2008 Chloe..Across the Universe


Author's Note

Chloe..Across the Universe
Rambling and wishing for snow!!!
PLEASE!! a little snow ...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the story because it was more narrated than red. It is very good and fun to read. I hope you get the snow.


Posted 15 Years Ago


a little snow? sweet jesus, theres been enough.
:)
Chloe.. i keep clicking on your stuff thats under 'stories', but havent found a story yet.
send me a link if you have one up maybe.

itsnt this more of a blog sorta? dont get me wrong, it the non linear, in the stream thing was fun to read.


I loved smelling those books.. the neatness and order( )the quietness.

//typo.. need a word there or a comma.

I wanted to be a librarian for many years.. This Summer I (had) went just in time to join a book club..

//not needed.. together like that might not even be grammatically correct.

um... im not rating stories so.............
nice work,
T

Posted 16 Years Ago


the last please is misspelled but other than that it was fun to read as it was like a conversation directed towards me in style.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love flow of consciousness works. They are illuminating. Really enjoyable read. Your style is so open. Just love it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hope you got your snow so you could be that child again ;)
I really liked your streams here, it was so refreshing. I love the smell of books too, yummy!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh well, I lost my review for this due to the site playing up. Roughly I was saying I didn't understand Catcher in the Rye although was some time ago I read it. The main character has my surname as his Christian name.......and I think I mentioned about the curiousity museum in Brighton. If you like looking at specimens of weird and wonderful animals this is the place to go - from two headed birds to the one eyed cat..........and snow.....mmmm. Think I said there has been no snow here this year so far.
I like the way reading this feels like you are actually talking to me. Having heard you I have an idea of the inflections of your voice through the words.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


It's great...you really liked the smell of books? Wow, now that's original...! You have a unique style but a very sensible mix of terms, almost making the sentences a kind of equation.l

Lovely, truly,

Daniel

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 7, 2008

Author

Chloe..Across the Universe
Chloe..Across the Universe

Smalltown, USA, AR



About
Sometimes i feel like an alien in a strange land..can you relate? I love people and friends are just that to me , friends-if you request me as a friend it would be nice if you read something I have .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Primitive Man Primitive Man

A Story by Rain