Storm Chaser

Storm Chaser

A Story by Autumn Takatch
"

short story

"

Storm Chaser


By: Autumn Takatch




I had been sitting there atop my golden horse with eyes blazing and stance rigid staring at the sky slowly darkening in the horizon. Inhaling deeply, the smell of rain and moisture hung heavily in the air like a blanket shrouding us. Everything was quiet and still, not even the sound of a bird was heard. It was like nature was holding its breath for the fury to come.

Rising up over the mountains it was almost like a wave about to crash upon the land with potential energy at its climax ready to burst. You could feel the vibrations and electricity humming in the air leaving the hairs on my arms standing on end. Dark, billowing, and ominous clouds stretched for miles on each side like an army preparing for battle, they climbed higher and higher into the atmosphere. Like a charging pack of wolves the cell approached at an alarming rate.

Cumulonimbus clouds turned and twisted like a child's top spinning out of control which threatened a storm like no other. That was when I felt the first blast of wind from the cold front, making me shiver to the very core of my being. If I told you I wasn’t afraid, I would be lying for I was terrified.

I was a storm chaser as they called me. I galloped into the eye of a storm living for the moment and never having any regrets not even now. It was too late anyway, for it was time and I didn't think I just did it. Finally the storm descended upon us like a flock of birds in pursuit. I kicked my horse's flanks as he reared up at a  streak of lightning illuminating our silhouettes in the darkness.

We raced into the middle of the storm with lightning clashing with thunder. it vibrated the very earth under our feet like a thousand wild horses rampaging in a stampede. Wind and rain tore and ripped at our flesh stinging our eyes like a swarm of bees. Sweat poured in rivulets down my back. Hair and mane flew in tangled threads whipping behind us. We dodged debri that had been dislodged from the earth that was cascading over our heads.

It was like man and beast were one, fighting the storm together trying not to lose their footing. Lightning lit up the sky and earth making a way for us to see through the storm. Thunder crashed so loud overhead it was disorienting and made me want to clamp my hand over my ears. I could also see fire where there was a clearing from lightning, striking a tree turning the sky blood red and smoky. It was almost like wind, water, earth, and fire were our enemies trying to get us off course.

Closing my eyes tight, I braced myself for my certain death, but when it didn't come I opened my eyes in time to see the hint of a majestic rainbow….

© 2017 Autumn Takatch


Author's Note

Autumn Takatch
whatever is fine.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on January 26, 2017
Last Updated on January 26, 2017

Author

Autumn Takatch
Autumn Takatch

About
Sometimes I write. more..

Writing