TL;DR: Let me live

TL;DR: Let me live

A Poem by Peibulu
"

I swear once or twice, but mostly it's just very frantic. I hope you enjoy it

"

I will say this now, because it must be said

But God help me, this is the last time I will do this

I do not have to justify myself to you

The fact that I even have to state this leaves a bad taste in my mouth

That I fear I will be unable to remove

But even that, I can handle. I am not unfamiliar with the taste of acid

However, everyone has their limits.

My worth as a human is not up for debate. You cannot debate my existence to suit your whims.

I am human. I am raw, ever changing, molten. My words can be razor sharp and my gaze can grow as dark as nightfall, and just as fast.

And that is fine. I can be sharp and rage can burn low in my chest and spill dark and thick out of my mouth and that is fine.

I am human. I can be vengeful and selfish and harsh.

And that is fine. So can you.

But in coming to terms with this realization, do not in your discomfort try to shame me.  

Your age does not grant you permission to play judge jury and executioner with my sense of being.

Your age does not grant you permission to play judge jury and executioner with my sense of being.

Your age does not grant you permission to play judge jury and executioner with my sense of being.

Sometimes I am right. Sometimes I am wrong. And that is fine. I have pride. Too much pride. The kind of pride that will not let me play right when I am not. The kind of pride that will not allow me to give you that kind of satisfaction.

However, I will not play wrong for you.

When I am right I am right and you cannot threaten shame or chastise me into being your simpering apologetic good little girl. I do not give a damn about being ladylike. I do not give a damn about how your ignorant prejudice is allowed because it is the same shade as the ignorance prejudice of those around you.

I am not your ‘n-word-always-say-n-word’, your chill, ‘touch my afro’ spirit sister.

You will not have my submission, but I have plenty of ‘aggressive’ honesty for you.

I am smart. I am eloquent. I am talented and full of potential and valuable. I know I have self-respect. I know I have value. You do not have to treat me with a pat on the head and the reassurance of things that I already know.

I am respectable. With a mini skirt and a crop top I am respectable. You should respect me because I am a human. That respect can change because of my actions towards other and not the color of my damn lipstick. If you try and argue otherwise, then you have lost the respect that you cherish so much.

I am smart. God damn it I am smart.  I am passionate. There are many words in my vocabulary, but I am smart enough to know that dependent on the situation, all those words will not relay the same message that one f**k will.

I know myself and I love myself. Too much for you to try and shove me into whatever box you have decided you wish to construct for me.

So take your box and take your threats and take your stubborn small-headed warped sense of right and wrong, and take them straight to whatever large fiery pit you feel is suitable. 

© 2015 Peibulu


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on May 19, 2015
Last Updated on May 19, 2015
Tags: poetry

Author

Peibulu
Peibulu

Lagos, Nigeria



About
I like to write. What I write is really dependent on situation. Feedback is appreciated and I would love any opportunities to explore my skills as a writer more..

Writing
Barking Mad Barking Mad

A Story by Peibulu


Leaving Leaving

A Poem by Peibulu