The Little Biker

The Little Biker

A Story by PJB

 The Sun’s rays provided warmth to the girl riding her bike, as she peddled away along the cliff overlooking the beach. The oppressive clouds followed close behind, threatening to block out the sunlight. She would only peddle faster at the imagined sensation of raindrop pelting over her head. Her long, brown hair flying everywhere, she cared little how she would appear to a passer-by. Only, there was no one about. Everyone knew that Sun would soon be obscured, never to be seen again.

 Her forehead sweating despite the cool breeze, she wouldn't slow. Continuing onwards, she was determined to outrun the coming darkness. The torrents of rain marched on in a bid to catch up with her. The westerly cool winds pushed along the heavy, black clouds incessantly.

 The cliffs on which she rode were drawing to a close now. She knew her story would soon end here too. She summoned the sweet memories of her childhood. She would visit the very beach below her with her older sister. She smiled remembering how her sister would tell her of their parents�"of how all four of them lived happy in a big house. A tear ran along her young, red cheeks now, as she missed her family.

 The bicycle stopped just mere metres short of falling over the edge of the cliffs. The girl dismounted her bike, looked at the black clouds that followed above her. She could see that they were seconds away from reaching her, and that they were not slowing down. Closing her eyes, she sang a beautiful melody. It was a lullaby that her mother would sing for her to help put her to sleep as a baby. As she sang, she recalled a memory of her looking from her small, cosy cot. For the first time, she remembered her mother’s face through the cot's railings.

 As she sang, she felt an easterly breeze. The clouds stopped approaching at first. The breeze turned into a gale, reversing the black clouds’ gains. The girl, not realising that the clouds no longer threatened her, kept on singing. It was all she could do to prepare for what she thought was the inevitable. And yet, when no raindrop touched her skin for minutes, she couldn’t resist herself not peaking. Opening her eyes little by little, she saw sunlight as far as her eyes could see.

 Smiling, she got back on her bicycle and biked away from whence she came from. She was going home. She would be with her family again.

© 2016 PJB


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on February 18, 2016
Last Updated on February 18, 2016
Tags: Depression, clouds, biking, bicycle, girl, rain, life, metaphor

Author

PJB
PJB

Houston, TX