Unexpected sparks

Unexpected sparks

A Story by Anette Krelboyne
"

Hello. This is my first time writing on this website. Please, feel free to review this constructively so I can improve my English as well as writing and maybe style.

"
After what seemed to be the longest wait she has ever expirienced, Marissa Foster has finally welcomed summer with open arms. This certain twenty-year-old has suffered through a cold, windy year and kept crossing dates on her calendar till this fine moment. When she could finally catch a break, enjoy the sun and get some rest after hard work.
Marissa Foster could easily be described as a twenty-year-old young woman, with an urge to socialize, great likes for cute things and a major dislike for people with an opposite opinion. She enjoyed spending her free time at the nearest coffee shop, ironically drinking everything but the java they offered, either typing away on her laptop or scrolling down her Facebook feed in order to read a stupid article that could entertain her. 
As for appearance goes, she most likely wouldn't stick out in a crowd like a sore thumb, but she did have some defining characteristics such as medium long blonde hair that reached her shoulders and is just long enough to create a miserable excuse for a bun or her long fingernails that would hardly ever break, or maybe even her nosering on her right nosedrill. When she felt like dressing up, she would put on her short leather jacket on top of a white shirt and some jeans and head out to do her errands or meet friends. 
Which is what she was about to do. She was in the bathroom, battling her uncooperative hair and trying to tame it into a bun. She kept leaning over to the cabinet as her bare feet touched the rug near the toilet. Being just barely shorter than 1,70m, she could barely see the top of her head in the mirror. As she tied her hair up, she looked over, through the open door, to see what time it is. 
"Oh, it's...9:55..." she sighed, looking back at her reflection. Alright, almost ready. She nodded to herself and went back into the hall to get her shoes and jacket. She took one final look at herself to make sure she wasn't wearing anything torn or with a stain. 
Everything seemed in order, she smiled to herself and grabbed her keys, wallet and phone from the counter and left her apartment, double checking if it was locked. 
She knew that she was prone to what you could call forgetting, but it was more on the fonds of not being sure if she's done it or not and if she memorized it correctly. This is one of the reasons why she kept checking her pockets to see if she had brought the key or looking at the phone to double check the meeting place and time. 
Speaking of, she was off to meet someone in the coffee shop she usually spent time in. You see, she is a huge online dating enthusiast and thought that she could probably either find a normal person on one of the many online dating apps or find an average brute on there and turn him proper in a blink of an eye. But what was about to happen, she didn't expect.
She leaned on the wall of the coffee shop and looked at her phone. 10. He should be here any moment. She nodded to herself and then unlocked her screen, just to make sure if it really was 10 and in front of the coffee shop. After being 100% positive that she has memorized it correctly, she pulled her fringe back and then unlocked her screen again, just to see if she looked alright as she did 5 minutes ago.
She felt a slight tap on her shoulder. 
"Oi, you...Marissa?" deep, rasp voice spoke just above her ear. She looked up to see a tall young man whose face she barely saw on the pictures on her online dating app, his picture was always blurred when it came to his face. 
His expression was interesting, to say the least. It seemed almost a grin and he seemed really confident, leaning on his right hand, near the spot where she was standing. 
"Uhm, yes." she nodded. "And you must be ...Ryan?"
"Yeah." he said with a smirk.
"Nice to meet you." she said quietly, letting go of her fringe.
She tried to control her expression, but her thoughts seemed to just barely get out of her grasp. He seemed like a brute alright. The most brute of them all. Maybe it was just his tone, maybe the way he leaned next to her or just the expression of his face. Something inside of her told her to be cautious with this man and run, while the other side was intrigued by his stance.
"Shall we ?" he said, opening the door.
She nodded, thinking to herself that he just might be a diamond in the rough, seeing as he opened up the door for her. 
She came closer to the door as he entered and shut door behind him. Rude. Very rude. She pushed the door and looked over to the counter. Her favorite Coffee-Man (as she called him) was working this shift. 
Ryan walked over to the nearest table and leaned on his elbow, looking over to her. She felt a bit awkward, but she decided to go through with this. She was the one that insisted on meeting him, so she needs to sit through this "date". 
"So..." he smirked.
"So?" she asked, carefully.
Awkward silence emerged. She remembered that she didn't even talk to this man for that long and their conversations seemed to stop right as she reached the point of disguist coming from this man's fingers.
"Wanna see my dick?" he broke to awkward silence with a question that was even more awkward. At least for her.
"Alright, screw this, I'm out" she got up and went to the counter. 
"Hey, I was joking" he smiled,reaching for her hand "Can't you even give me a chance?"
"I don't know what I was thinking,ok? This was a stupid decision on my part and...can you just...forget this ever happened?"
"A MISTAKE?" he spoke louder. She looked at him.
"I AM A MISTAKE?" he picked the table up and slammed it back down, causing a ruckus. His pride was scratched. 
She sat back down in fear. The man twice her size was slamming a table over her words, she didn't know what to do. Petrified, she just closed her eyes and ears and started singing something in her mind to chase the current event away. 
"Alright sir, I am going to have to ask you to leave" she heard a familiar voice. A bit higher than Ryan's and with not so much of a rasp. She knew that voice well. It was the voice that used to ask her if she was certain she didn't want to try coffee that time or why she came down to a coffee shop if she wasn't planning to order any. 
"You stay out of this! This little b***h came down to waste my time! And I..." 
"Sir, please. This is a coffee shop, not a ring. And even if it were a ring, please refrain yourself from hitting this young lady or I might have to call the police."
"Police?" he immediately changed his expression and tone. "Hey, man, chill, no need for calling the police, I'll be going now..."
And so he did.
A couple of moments later, Marissa was again approached by this voice that saved her. This time, that voice smelled of vanilla and chocolate with a dash of cinnamon. He slowly put down a big white mug and sat down next to her. He put his arm around her and whispered softly into her ear.
"It's going to be alright, it's fine...he left."
She sniffed and looked at him, still petrified.
"I ...brought you your usual. If that's ok?"
She nodded and leaned on his shoulder. She looked over to his name tag.
"Andrew?"
"Yeah?"
"...Thank you."

© 2016 Anette Krelboyne


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on April 25, 2016
Last Updated on April 25, 2016
Tags: romance, unexpected sparks, online dating

Author

Anette Krelboyne
Anette Krelboyne

Croatia



About
Writing as a hobby as well as doodling and animating. Hopefully I can entertain the public with my sick, demented writing. more..

Writing