When the Handshake Passes the Elbow

When the Handshake Passes the Elbow

A Story by petah
"

This short prose seeks to bring African readers back to reality that continued over-reading of "civilised" works will lead to the erosion of African reading and hence writing.

"

When the Handshake Passes the Elbow

When the handshake passes the elbow, it becomes another thing. This is a considerably prevalent proverb in Chinua Achebe’s works. Now, it can be waxed into a matter of literary concern. This is in complete disagreement with Susan Wanjiru’s view on the section of readers corner on Saturday Nation of June 15th. She voiced an argument that the youth should be allowed to read romantic novels; for that is usually probably a starting point for them. According to me, this is arguably false. I will not deny the positivity behind universal and partial reading of many books; romantic ones included. However, we youths mostly overdo it. Nora Roberts, Julie Garwood, Danielle Steele; that is what most youths read.

They simply cannot afford to stomach reading about literary work written by a black hand. If you ask them, they will not hesitate to dismiss such works as being uncivilized. Or rather to put it in friendly terms; being analog (not digital). Times have moved, and man has absorbed civilization; they will throw in some more spices into the already cooking pot.

Go to most libraries in town or street book vendors. And you will testify to what I am saying. Mentioning the word “library”, what I mostly witnesses with my colleague students comes to mind in relation to the matter at hand. When they go to the library, it is something not of this world for them to be interested in “civilized” books authored by “enlightened” writers. Additionally, it will be very normal to find only a few indicative borrowing stamps on any African-authored novel. Needless to say, you will not fail to recognize Western romantic titles being riddled with a promising number of stamps. Even the librarian will severally be forced to fix more pieces of paper on the book!     

Some weeks back, I gave out a copy of my short story to my fellow students. They were supposed to read and then give me back their recommendations. They really read through it. However, the truth about their recommendations was the opposite side of my expectations. Most of them dismissed it as “not containing the degree of civilization and expertise evident in Sheldom’s works.”

So now tell me; if reading of romantic works of literature among the youth has gone such far, will the products of the African pen be recognized? Will the African literary dignity pioneered by Achebe, Ngugi, Ogot stay in place? Or will it fall apart? For most youths, who to inherit the literary thrones of past literary kings is of no value to them. This further melts down to the painful fact that they even never dream of writing (save for “enlightened” literature). Down the ladder, it is possible that present (and future) writers will be subjected to literary wilderness, as Kenyan veteran writer Taban Lo Liyong would have described the situation. Who do you write for if the expected readers do not ‘like’ and value literature as an heirloom of African advancement, dignity and identity among the international community? 

 

The writer is a journalism student at Mount Kenya University, Nairobi Campus, Kenya

Contact: [email protected]

©2013 Peter Ngila

 

© 2013 petah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

@Marie. I only hear about him. But before long i will get copy with each of his works. what pushed me to write this essay is the way blacks, especially the youth negatively overead western works at the expense of African ones. I sometimes write short stories and see the response of my relatives, classmates and friends after reading my works.

Posted 10 Years Ago


In these days few, if any readers are familiar with the works of Frank Yerby. I consider him one of the best writers who eery lived. He was black.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 8, 2013
Last Updated on July 8, 2013
Tags: http/ngilavetelo.blogspot.com, anto, tuvi, nechwalo

Author

petah
petah

Nairobi, Kariobangi North, Kenya



About
I am a young man who is a Journalism student at Mount Kenya University, Nairobi Kenya. Novels,Short stories, poetry, newspapers and anything to with literature; that' what I read. Sometimes I do write.. more..

Writing
The Ostrich Girl The Ostrich Girl

A Story by petah