Leaf Less

Leaf Less

A Poem by Phibby Venable

 

 
Leaf less
 
Leaf less, the trees reveal a tangle
of misguided limbs
This new profile leaves them
without direction,
without the covering,
and concealment of color
I am coral and clean.
The lamp embarrassed
by the glow of me.
I am the breathless orange flower
you pulled from the bouquet,
the one that did not match
the hue of your drapes
I am standing
inside myself,
naked,
a dimension of curved caverns
and irregular lines
A holocaust of locust, rivers,
children and scars,
I hold a map of sex and survival,
a testimony of small mayhems
To stop my effervescent self
in the tune of these covers,
in the moon of your round face,
I rise in a star spangle
of high blue lights
I disappear through
your boxed ceiling
into a liquid night.
There is no spring awakening
hidden in the background.
Only memory morsels clinging
in secret places
Only a black slip falling
from the bureau drawer,
landing in a stylish float
by the sensible shoes.
 
 



© 2008 Phibby Venable


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The shift from the barren trees to the solitary woman is so effortless, so artfully done that you almost don't notice it happening. The images-- "a holocaust of locust", "a testimony of small mayhems", the final (and flat-out brilliant) image of the black slip falling-- are inventive and wonderfully visual. This piece walks easily and confidently in the very large shoes of its predecessors.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
No
thank you thank you for sending me this request.
i've been very busy, and i know it was sent months ago, but i've only been getting on to shortly submit pieces and update small things.
as for this, it was absolutely wonderful.
simplistic and ethereal, it made my day.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was an absolutely wonderful piece. What a surprise. It was beautiful, creative, flowed easily, and the imagery was amazing! I look forward to reading more of your writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


another excellent poem...I especially like your last line, the image of the slip, the stylish float, the sensible shoes...this one will go in my favorites!

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a complex ride through the turbulent emotions of life... a very captivating piece of writing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Such a beautiful poem. Your phrasing is impeccable and the final phrases are just wonderful. Thanks to W.k.Kortas for the read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Beautifully sad.......life so often disappoints. I like too many lines here to detail them all. The poem seems to gather its strength as it goes along... Really like 'I hold a map of sex and survival' ... amen a million women say. 'There is no spring awakening' ... ouch! That line is so matter of fact, yet so final. I love the last 4 lines.....especially the last lines. Ach, we are left with NOTHING once the passion and the disappointment has passed apart from being sodding sensible.......being sensible seems to be what happens to us, if we are lucky. Ach, I hate life sometimes, in the way it strips us of energy and passion. But... I will be sensible about it. How can one hate life? Let's be sensible now! Great dismount after a stiring performance!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Visual, visceral and as smooth as a classic film. A flow through this that is seamless and suprisingly gentle. Wonderful write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

you are just plain excellent...revealing, concise, touching, magical...what a mix!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This piece left me breathless. Every piece I read of yours finds some silent spot in me that I had forgotten. You voice the feeling so much better than I ever could have. I think I'll nominate you as the voice of womanhood. When mankind wants to know the mysteries of the female mind, we'll send them to you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The shift from the barren trees to the solitary woman is so effortless, so artfully done that you almost don't notice it happening. The images-- "a holocaust of locust", "a testimony of small mayhems", the final (and flat-out brilliant) image of the black slip falling-- are inventive and wonderfully visual. This piece walks easily and confidently in the very large shoes of its predecessors.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 8, 2008

Author

Phibby Venable
Phibby Venable

abingdon, VA



About
http://youtu.be/25XE-BHGvWI http://youtu.be/B2klgDKMUq0 I live in the mountains of Southwest Virginia. Although my passion is poetry, I recently published a novel called, Women of the Round Tabl.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just One... Just One...

A Poem by SM Davis