Algonquin Trading Journey

Algonquin Trading Journey

A Story by Morgan Bland
"

An Algonquin Native American trading journey! Things to know: Alawa: rainbow, Etchemin: canoe man, Eyota: great, Iroquois: means snakes in Algonquin (they called themselves the Haudenosaunee)

"

Alawa stood by the birch canoe holding a leather pouch filled with various kinds of copper ore. Her father, Etchemin, and her were going to trade with the Ojibwa. They were in desperate need of food. Her brother and some other family members planned to raid the Haudenosaunee for some corn and beans while they were gone. Their people, the Algonquin and the Haudenosaunee had been rivals for as long as she could remember. “I wish those Iroquois would share their nice, warm weather land.” Alawa thought “Then we wouldn’t fight so much” “Alawa!” her father’s voice jolted her out of her trance. He stood in the canoe below, arms outstretched for the leather pouch. “Oh! Sorry!” she said, handing it to him. “It’s about time we head out.” He said, “Everything is packed.” He held his hand out to help her into the boat. After she got in they undid the rope from the stump which held the canoe to the land. Then they shoved off to begin their journey.

“The trip was long, but not as long as taking the St. Lawrence River to Cree” Alawa thought as she helped her father paddle and watched the water stream by. Other Algonquin people paddled alongside them, speaking of the wild rice they would trade their colorful feathers and copper for. Her father spoke of the many manitok or spirits that dwelled in the waters. “Let them favor us on our journey” he said solemnly.

It took many days, even weeks for them to reach the place where the Ojibwa usually dwelled. They had to row to shore several times to hunt for food when they could not catch any fish, in order to avoid starving in their boats. Luckily, the manitok smiled upon them and they caught not only several squirrels and raccoons, but also a full grown White-tailed deer: their most prized animal. “Land! I see Land!” someone in one of the other canoes finally cried. Everyone sat up straighter in their boats and stretched their necks, all trying to see the wonderful sight. “I see it! I see it!” Alawa said to her father excitedly. She had spotted a group of the Ojibwa’s wigwams not far from shore. “Yes” he said, smiling, looking at the small cluster of homes “Hopefully they will have lots of rice to trade.”

It took some time for them to all paddle to shore- for land is not always as close as it appears- but eventually they all arrived safely on nice, firm, ground. “Father, look.” Alawa said, pulling lightly on his deerskin sleeve. Several of the Ojibwa had come out of their wigwams to greet them.

After the greeting was over the trading began. “I will give you ten pouches of copper for 25 bags of wild rice.” Her father told Eyota, one of the main Ojibwa traders. “No, that is way too much for so little!” Eyota said loudly “I’ll give you ten for ten!” “Ten for ten!” her father shouted “Even the Iroquois could scrape up a better bargain than that!” “Surly copper is worth more than rice.” Alawa thought to herself as she listened quietly. They both watched him intently, practically seeing the wheels turning in his head. “Fine! Fifteen for ten!” Eyota said, “I know you have come a long way, but take it or leave it. We have our living to make too!” “Very Well.” Said her father “Fifteen bags of rice for ten bags of copper. It’s a deal.”

They planned to stay for several weeks with the Ojibwa to continue with the trading and catching up on events that had happened since their last visit. Alawa hoped they would be able to trade the colorful feathers and furs they had brought for even more rice and other foods such as pumpkins and maple sugar. Sometimes the Ojibwa could be stingy, but so far it had been a successful trading journey.

© 2016 Morgan Bland


Author's Note

Morgan Bland
Originally an American History assignment, but turned out fairly good. Hope you enjoy!

-Has a part II :)

-please let me know if you have a better idea for a title.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

-for the adventure contest... be sure to read part II.
-I decided to submit part I simply because its better if you start with it.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
1 Review
Added on November 5, 2016
Last Updated on November 5, 2016

Author

Morgan Bland
Morgan Bland

About
Hi, I love arts of all kinds: sewing, drawing, painting, crocheting, terrarium making, writing stories, and poetry. I also enjoy riding a unicycle and love turtles. I would love to hear some construct.. more..

Writing