A Case of the Mondays

A Case of the Mondays

A Story by Becka
"

PLEASE ANYONE give me advice/criticism. This is due tomorrow and I have no idea how to end it! Tell me what you think. ANY advice is welcome. Thank you.

"

The butt of her cigarette fell down 7 floors to the city below, cutting a path of light through the dark like a shooting star.  A deep, heavy sigh slid from her lips into the air. She watched the smoke ascend upwards and spread out into nothing. The sky was cloudless tonight, and for a moment she thought she saw a name spelled out in the glittering stars. Quickly blinking it away, she stifled the memory that was always fighting to be remembered.

Down in the main city the streets, somewhere between when all the shoppers went home and all the nightlife came out, the nice and peaceful places were closing down and the underground bars and clubs were just starting to open and prepare for another wild night.

The air was cool and refreshing as she stood at the edge peering down. She often found herself contemplating the fall, for she had no fear of such heights anymore. She didn’t really have a fear of anything anymore. The rooftops of the city were almost comforting in their familiarty, like a childhood playground. She felt the view was hers. She’d seen unforgettable sunrises and sunsets rise and fall over the buildings, and had often shared the experience. Again she shut her eyes tightly against the memories; there would be no more late nights and a sunrise for two.
Crouching down and getting as comfortable as the cold concrete would allow, she closed her eyes to entertain some sleepless rest. It was only a matter of hours until daylight, and she wanted to be as ready as possible when the time came.

In the darkness of her mind was an illuminated figure. Only by candlelight could she see his body, but she knew her way even in the absence of light. Hard muscles beneath soft toned skin, browned and golden from summers spent in the sun. He gently radiated body heat, even after nightfall. She extended her imagination through her fingertips to reach out and trace his well defined physique, leaving goose bumps in their wake. She got lost in the feeling of her skin against his, taking him in through every pore. If only she could have died in his arms the last time they were together so she wouldn’t have to wake without him today.
 
Her name was Angelica, though throughout her early life she answered simply to Angel. Back then she had light blonde hair and a young spirit. Nowadays she darkened her hair, and apathy flowed through her veins. She was fair and petite, her dark hair contrasting with her pale skin. Though she was small, she was very confident and sure of herself. She was still young, but far from innocent and inexperienced. Reality had taken its toll on her views of life. She had always been very independent and strong, only those closest to her knew of any weaknesses.

Her body now ached for him as she felt the hard, unfeeling ground beneath her. When she opened her eyes the sun was beginning to materialize on the horizon. Now was the time to focus, not to plague herself with futile memories. She set up a small propane burner and heated some instant coffee. The bitterness was not unwelcome; she wasn’t sure she’d even taste a difference even if it had been sweetened.  As the caffeine sharpened her awareness, she checked to make sure everything was ready. There was no room for miscalculations or careless mistakes; precision was the only thing that mattered. It was the only form of order she could find in such a chaotic world. With an eye trained for accuracy she checked the scope. The view was crystal clear even though it was almost a mile and half away. She’d gone over the details in her mind a million times since she’d decided avenge her loss. There were five bullets in the magazine, but she only needed one.
 
Gabriel was one of the best lawyers of his time. He was the epitome of tall, dark, and handsome. He was strong and stable, but so gentle. He represented many of his clients for much less money than his services were worth. All he really cared about was justice. It wasn’t uncommon to have your life threatened in such a position, so he had been taking self defense classes throughout his career, mastering the techniques quickly. He also carried a concealed weapon.
She had multiple degrees in different levels of psychology and sociology, which also accounted for an ample yearly salary. This granted them a comfortable and luxurious lifestyle.
Their lives had been hell before they found each other, but when they did they felt their suffering had not been in vain. Their life together was closer to heaven then most people ever will be.

They often joked about how their names should be written together in the sky with stars, because that's how long their forever was.

But nothing lasts forever; even the strongest foundations will crumble in time and return to the nothingness from which they came. 

It was a Monday morning when her world came crashing down around her. Gabriel was in a hurry to get to work. She got up early to make him breakfast, having only a strong cup of coffee for herself. In his rush he accidentally knocked it over and the dark sweet liquid spread over the table, staining the newspaper that was resting upon it. Before either of them had a chance to read front page, she cleaned the sticky mess up and threw it away. The article described an obsessed criminal who had recently escaped. He had been confined to a mental institution where he was diagnosed with Hypergraphia, an overwhelming urge to write. He covered every inch of his room and every surface he came in contact with writing. His room was cleaned every day, and no one but the janitor took the time to read what was written.

The court house located in the bad part of town; full of alleys masked by dakness and walls covered in thick coats of spray paint. The toxic colors choked the walls, covering them completely. There was a parking deck relatively close, so Gabriel chanced the walk every day. Today he changed his route, taking a shortcut to ensure his punctuality. As he walked briskly down an unfamilar alley, his cell phone began to vibrate. He smiled when he saw the caller ID, answering in a pleased tone. Angelica was calling to tell him he’d left his watch on the night stand, and that she could bring it to him if he needed it. He didn’t have the chance to answer. From behind came a two by four, knocking him to the ground instantly. The phone clattered to the ground. His assailant searched him for his wallet, and was pleased to find a gun as well. The last thing she heard were two gunshots and a barely audible voice say “I hope you burn in a hell worse than the one you sent me to for the past twenty years.”

For months she had been preparing for this moment. Since Gabriel’s funeral she had sworn to herself there would be retribution. Nothing else mattered, he had been her everything. In a world without his existence there was seemingly no reason to live. The only drive she had now was one of revenge. For a short while the only solutions she could conjure would be committed in a blind rage, with no motive other than to kill. The more she thought about it the more she saw how irrational and impulsive her ideas were. No, she was not a reckless person; she had very disciplined self control.
However, to find her lover’s killer, she had to utilize her knowledge of the human psyche. She abandoned her sanity along with her own patterns of thought and normal behaviors. There was nothing left of who she once was.

The shots that had killed him and most of her still seemed to echo in her mind with such clarity. Soon one more shot would kill the pain she still felt.

In the paper one morning her salvation came. He had been careless and failed to elude the police for very long. Once he'd escaped he'd begun killing again immediately, though his time off the streets had apparently impaired his skills. The announce of his capture and trial date were released to the public, even the time- 7 a.m.

She couldn't be sure of how long he would be in range, only long enough to escort him from a patrol car to the court house doors. She checked the time, then rechecked the scope. They had arrived. Three cars produced six men, her target right in the middle of them. As she positioned herself carefully, trying not tremble as adrenaline pumped through her veins, she placed her finger on the trigger. Her heart was beating throughout her whole body, her lips quivered slightly as she reminded herself to breath. There were only seconds left, and she only had one chance. There was no hesitation or doubt in her mind as she fired.
 

© 2009 Becka


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on April 5, 2009
Last Updated on April 5, 2009

Author

Becka
Becka

Athens, GA



About
Becka : Female 14 (01/23/93) Resides in Hull, GA 5"2 Blue eyes Dark Ash Brown hair Pale skin Hostile front Suffers from P.T.S.D, depression, anxiety, and has recently been diagnosed Bipolar mixed Cons.. more..