My True Self

My True Self

A Poem by Melinda McQueen



My True Self

 

My true self,

Be known.

Show the world

Your own.

 

My true self,

Shine through.

Be unafraid

To do what you do.

 

My true self,

Leave your heart open.

Show what’s inside,

Let it deepen.

 

My true self,

Spread your faith-wings.

Refuse not,

But let your life sing.

 

My true self,

Hear me out.

You’re more than what’s seen,

So, don’t you doubt.

 

My true self,

Know your wealth.

 

Melinda McQueen Rodgers

May 2, 2023

© 2023 Melinda McQueen


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I adore this poem, "My True Self." Allow me to analyze? There's others on this site I have provided the same. I am a poet too and I like reading and analzying each word, stanza, and meter, and meaning.


Form and Structure: This poem consists of six quatrains (four-line stanzas) and follows a consistent rhyming pattern of ABAB, providing a rhythmic structure. There's also a repeated refrain, "My true self," which adds a sense of continuity and repetition, emphasizing the poem's central focus on the exploration of the self.

Theme and Tone: The dominant theme is self-discovery and authenticity. The tone is both encouraging and empowering, prompting the reader to delve into self-analysis, to embrace individuality, and to project an authentic self without fear or doubt.

Imagery and Symbolism: The poem uses imagery effectively, for example, "Spread your faith-wings" - this phrase could be interpreted as a metaphor, suggesting an idea of spiritual enlightenment, growth, or freedom. The "heart" being open suggests vulnerability and honesty in expressing emotions. The "wealth" of the true self implies the richness of character or the value of personal authenticity.

Language and Style: The language used is simple, direct, and highly motivational. The repeated usage of imperatives, such as "Be known," "Shine through," and "Leave your heart open," serves to embolden the reader and motivate action. The poet uses everyday language to discuss profound themes of self-identity and self-value, making the poem accessible to a broad audience.

Potential Improvements: While the poem is indeed empowering, it could benefit from incorporating more unique or specific imagery to give the reader a deeper or more personal connection to the poem's themes. Additionally, varying the sentence structure or rhythm could introduce more dynamism into the poem's flow and keep the reader's interest engaged throughout.

Overall, this is a motivational and inspiring poem, with its strength lying in its simplicity and its powerful affirmation of self-worth and authenticity.

Posted 11 Months Ago


I agree dear Melinda.
"My true self,
Know your wealth."
The above lines. We must find and keep. Thank you dear friend for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Months Ago


That's the blessing of writing; we can show our true self and embrace our true self.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Melinda McQueen

11 Months Ago

Yes, indeed!
Thanks for reading my poem.
Shelley Warner

11 Months Ago

You're welcome. Have a pleasant day.
It's so easy to build walls and burn bridges. It's so much harder to tear them down and build new bridges. The Japanese say a man is three people, one which everyone sees, another which only his closest friends and relatives see and a third which he keeps completely to himself. I think we all have masks we wear for different occasions. I'm pretty unfiltered in that I generally just say what I think regardless of company. But it is a great freedom to have the true self appreciated.

Posted 11 Months Ago


Melinda McQueen

11 Months Ago

Yes, you are right.
Thanks for reading my poem.
btw I adore your profile pic..
.. read more
FGFRANKLIN

11 Months Ago

Thanks. She's eight now and thinks she's sixteen. (smile) She's just very bright and advanced for he.. read more
Melinda McQueen

11 Months Ago

Awwwww haha you have a smart girl!
Great poem...

Really felt something there...

Like you were talking or writing to a son...

Or maybe it's just your inner self.

;)

Posted 12 Months Ago


Melinda McQueen

12 Months Ago

Thanks for reading
The_Ancient_Rock

12 Months Ago

Thank you for writing...

;)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 2, 2023
Last Updated on May 3, 2023
Tags: self, self love

Author

Melinda McQueen
Melinda McQueen

TX



About
Hello, I'm Melinda from Texas. I am a published author. I'm in a chair with Cerebral Palsy and writing is my outlet. I have found deep pleasure in writing poetry. Writing helps me express my emotion.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


ME ME

A Poem by Weeping willow


Tin Can Sailor Tin Can Sailor

A Poem by carl