A Day in the Life of Greed

A Day in the Life of Greed

A Story by PoetryPenPal

 

          You are about to experience a day in the life of greed. In this case, greed is spelled E-b-e-n-e-z-e-r-S-c-r-o-o-g-e. So let me set the scene for you now.

          You walk down the dark streets of London, on your way to a shop. The sign says, “Scrooge and Marley.” You walk in with fresh snow trailing in footsteps behind you. It’s winter. 1840. Christmas Eve.

          “Bah! Humbug!” Christmas has no “merriness” to a greedy man like you. A young man walks in with a warm smile, despite the cold. “Uncle! Merry Christmas!”

          “Bah! What affect does Christmas have on the mood of a busy man like me.”

          “Much Uncle. Christmas is a time for giving to others! Speaking of giving, I-I need a-a loan. For a turkey for Christmas dinner.” Just to be clear, you don’t like giving to the poor, and your nephew is poor. Let us return to the story. “ I don’t give to people, especially young men like you. You should have a job…”

          “Don’t you think I’ve tried to get a job Uncle?”

          “No. People of your kind are lazy, inconsiderate, and…”

          “My kind? My kind! No, Uncle, you’ve got it all wrong! I’m your kind. I’m a Scrooge!”

          “So just because you’re family, you should get a loan?”

          “Yes!” The room is silent while you pretend to think it over.

          “I’ll think about it, Fred; now out!”

          “Merry Christmas, Uncle!”

          “Out!”

          “And a happy New Year!” Your nephew sings as he slams the door. You slump in your chair, relieved to be alone. Then you stand, blow out the candle on your desk, and walk out of your shop to your house.

          You finally approach a two-story house with a knocker shaped like a screaming face. It’s yours. So welcoming. You take out your ring of keys again and unlock the door. After you slam the door behind you, you lock the door again. Your argument with Fred tuckered you out, so you decide to take a nap. As you walk up the stairs, a floorboard creaks, and you turn around sharply as the sound echoes through the house. As you lay in bed with your eyes closes, dollar signs dance in the darkness behind your eyelids. You can’t fall asleep, so you decide to eat dinner. As you eat, the house creaks and moans. After you eat, you are tired from a long day of counting shillings, so you try your bed again. As you lay in bed, you remember your nephew’s words, “I’m a Scrooge!”

          Now, as you dwell on your nephew’s words, you are not aware that in three years, your perspective will change.

 

         

 

© 2014 PoetryPenPal


Author's Note

PoetryPenPal
Please enjoy! Reviews are greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so nicely described and written my friend :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Thanks alot buddy!
Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

You are welcome :)
I like the story of greed in the tale. I like the feel old old places and how you described his life and the situation.
"After you eat, you are tired from a long day of counting shillings, so you try your bed again. As you lay in bed, you remember your nephew’s words, “I’m a Scrooge!”
Thank you for sharing the entertaining story. The above lines gave reason and purpose for the story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot. It was an A plus essay at school, so I would hope you would like it.
Interesting piece of writing , truly enjoyed your work my friend. keep it up

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

357 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2014
Last Updated on April 5, 2014

Author

PoetryPenPal
PoetryPenPal

Lost in my thoughts..., MI



About
Stuck in that awkward stage of waving goodbye to childhood and waiting for adulthood to envelope me. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forsaken Forsaken

A Poem by Tai Ryens